in thinking this referral has been done out of spite?

(53 Posts)
WestieMamma Fri 22-Nov-13 15:05:41

I have AS and need a bit of support around planning and organisation. I was referred to social services (not UK) for that support by my consultant. Social services refused to provide it on the basis that they couldn't see that I had any problems and that I managed just fine. We had to fight them all the way to get the support put in place as they kept appealing the Courts' decisions. Eventually they had nowhere left to go and finally this week they have started providing the support that should have started 3 years ago. Hurray!

The social worker spoke to me this afternoon to find out how it had gone and book times for next week, and then casually informed me that she has now referred me to child services for investigation into my ability to care for my DS (7 months). This is despite denying the existence of my disability for 3 years. Despite having the same information 7 months ago as they do now. Despite my hospital team and health visitor fully supporting me and having no concerns whatsoever about my parenting ability. Despite my solicitor asking them directly if they had any concerns and them saying 'no' at every meeting we've had with them because he knew it worried me. No they have had no concerns whatsoever while they were getting away with doing nothing and while I had someone with me to support me. First time I'm alone and vulnerable and they go in for the kill.

Seems my instincts were right about them all along sad

WestieMamma Thu 12-Dec-13 21:12:38

I certainly feel there needs to be some further training. The primary purpose of this section of adult services is to provide support to people with disabilities. If their lack of knowledge puts people through the stress they've put me through then they are failing in this purpose.

sykadelic15 Sat 14-Dec-13 05:14:13

Excellent news!

DoubleLifeIsALifeOfSorts Sat 14-Dec-13 10:53:44

Yay! I'm so happy for you! Phew, you can breathe a sigh of relief now wine

Yes they need some training, but if it's anything like the uk then they won't get it as this sw is in adult ss, not children's, and so not the same chain of command. And the adult ss team are the ones who have been so dreadful, and have a vested interest in covering their arses.

Yes am very cynical but it's from my experience, as you know Westie I got referred to children's services approx 7 times in total! Fortunately they were even more stupid than the sw that referred you as they couldn't come up with a plausible reason beyond 'well she's disabled and disabled people can't be good parents'. Children's services just kept on closing the case and never actually came out to see me, they had a 2 min call with me the first time and after that just kept saying no to adult ss. The sw responsible never got told off/ trained about basic equality and discrimination, as it was in no ones interest except mine, and I had no voice with them. Since changed sw and the one I have now seems much more knowledgeable and professional (fingers crossed!).

The best result for you is that now you know children's services are professional and do their jobs which means they cannot be used as the 'bogey man' by adult ss anymore. basically there is nothing left to threaten you with - great news for you!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now