Note: Please bear in mind that whilst this topic does canvass opinions, it is not a fight club. You may disagree with other posters but we do ask you please to stick to our Talk Guidelines and to be civil. We don't allow personal attacks or troll-hunting. Do please report any. Thanks, MNHQ.

To be a bit fed up they did not help me.

(39 Posts)
moldingsunbeams Fri 22-Nov-13 11:50:18

DD who is in year 6 has had a project, they had ages to do it so its her own fault but last night she added something to it she had found out at her out of school volunteer activity, it was due today. only when we came to print (late because she had been helping at school all week then at a school event in the evening the printer decided to have a flop.

Another parent told me they knew kids who sent it in on usb and dd confirmed teacher had shown her someones project on usb so I went to teacher with usb and said i could hand it in like that or could bring it Monday and print at library at the weekend.

But no it had to be in today because they wanted to mark at the weekend but would not take the usb pen, this has meant that I have missed a meeting this morning (self employed ) to go and print it because dd has sen and was terrified of getting in trouble and had to walk four miles to nearest library to print the bugger off despite being poorly (have just been put on heart tablets and tablets for join issues) because library is no longer on a regular bus route from ours.

I KNOW we should have printed it earlier but she purposely left printing it because her volunteer class is at a museum that had info on her subject and she wanted to really try her best and the printer has been fine till now.

I KNOW its not their fault that printer buggered up but I never ask for help and I would have been willing to pay for the paper and ink in school.

It would have taken them two seconds to print it and instead I am sat in pain after trekking miles to sort it.

I know IABU but just a bit fed up I do loads for them and the one time we fuck up on something so basic they did not help.

molmurpha Fri 22-Nov-13 12:00:25

I'd have just breezily said 'Oh well, it won't be in today then if no one will print it out or take the USB pen as we have no other way of printing it off'

moldingsunbeams Fri 22-Nov-13 12:05:44

If dd had not been getting upset because she has sen and is "for rules" I would have done exactly that.

redskyatnight Fri 22-Nov-13 12:06:59

I can see it's one of those occasions when it would be nice if school had just let you print it out at there.

But looked at from the school's point of view - you'd had plenty of time to sort it out and if they do it for you, they have then to do it for every child - which takes ages and costs a fortune.

I would not have cancelled my meetings and trekked round town to sort it out today (actually at DS's school if not in first thing, it counts as late anyway). It would have gone in on Monday (actually do you really not know a single person that would print it for you?) Chalk it up to one of those things and make a mental note not to leave printing till the last minute next time (IME printers are decidetly volatile and tend to break at the drop of a hat - either that or half your work spontaneously vanishes)

jacks365 Fri 22-Nov-13 12:23:08

I don't know where you are but our local education authority has a blanket ban on any not officially issued usb sticks being used and the rules on those that are issued are very strict so our local schools would not be able to accept any work in that format. What they will accept though is the work being emailed in so you could ask about that for future use. The reason for the ban on usb sticks is because of the risk of viruses.

I do think the school was being petty not allowing you the weekend to sort it.

moldingsunbeams Fri 22-Nov-13 12:28:41

I thought that but others have sent work in via usb.
I would have gladly emailed it,

I know it was OUR fault.

WooWooOwl Fri 22-Nov-13 12:31:49

Yanbu.

Teachers are supposed to want their students to do well, and it just seems mean not to have at least accepted the work on email. I can understand them not wanting to use a USB, but if you were prepared to pay for the paper and the ink, they could have asked you to email it and then printed it.

I can understand them wanting it in on time though, especially if it's the sort of project that will take time to mark properly.

Last minute printer problems are a huge pain in the arse, and I'm lucky that parents around here understand that and help each others kids out in printer emergencies.

Vivacia Fri 22-Nov-13 12:47:36

I can understand the teacher's point of view in terms of deadlines and the impact of late homework on her work/life balance. I can well imagine the problem the school might have had with USBs and missed deadlines.

However, I wouldn't have made the efforts you have made this morning as you obviously resent the lost time to your business. I'd have offered to email it in, asked the office to print it and then given up.

Vivacia Fri 22-Nov-13 12:49:07

Teachers are supposed to want their students to do well, and it just seems mean not to have at least accepted the work on email

Good point. The teacher should be sacked. If they won't sack her, then the OP should home educate her child so that she is no longer subjected to such meanness and lack of support to do well.

Joysmum Fri 22-Nov-13 12:53:07

I'd have send DD in with the USB stick and note in an envelope saying what had happened and when I could print it off if hard copy is required. I certainly wouldn't have missed meeting etc to do it.

Nanny0gg Fri 22-Nov-13 12:55:19

Teacher was massively U.

I often printed work from USB sticks (easily virus-checked).

And our FS teachers ask for photos and work to be e-mailed in from children's home activities so that parents don't have to worry about printers and costs.

And to use the marking as a reason? Unkind.

custardo Fri 22-Nov-13 12:59:01

my kids were at school over 6-10 years ago now - practically the technological dark ages - and THEN, they had e-mail accounts to send in their homework at school and they could print it off.

I do often wonder about children who do not have computer access or printers and how they get on sad

KateAdiesearrings Fri 22-Nov-13 13:08:00

Yanbu but well done on putting in so much effort so your dc wasn't upset.

A friend once taught me a great tip for exactly this type of situation. Pass the problem to the other person and ask them to suggest a solution eg 'Oh you can't accept it and you can't print it. Well, our printer can't print either so how can we fix this problem?' Most reasonable people wouldn't suggest a long walk to a library as a solution (and if they do then you can veto it). If you task them to help you find a solution then their responses tend to become more reasonable. I know it's too late for this incident but it might help in the future.

CombineBananaFister Fri 22-Nov-13 13:15:19

Like you said, you know you were at FAULT but i still think what you asked was reasonable - no matter who's fault it was. Surely it wasn't that hard to do it for you under the circumstances?

Again, am inclined to think there some kind of policy so they don't end up doing it for everyone. What do those who don't have printers/computers at home do? we don't and the library is miles away.

moldingsunbeams Fri 22-Nov-13 13:25:41

There was an option to hand write it but dd has writing issues and could not have wrote so much easily and neatly.

I do wonder how you go on though without internet/library because our library is miles away and only open certain hours (community led) and basically if you work past five or past one on a Saturday you are knackered really. Its not somewhere the children could reach alone and there are a very small number of pcs and was only one book on the subject when we went.

MortifiedAnyFuckerAdams Fri 22-Nov-13 13:29:55

Would they not have allowed you to email.it.over?

Vivacia Fri 22-Nov-13 13:38:00

I do wonder how you go on though without internet/library

You just said that hand-writing it is an option, but perhaps this is something to clarify with the school? Perhaps you could suggest they make a few computers available at an after school session?

IdreamofFairies Fri 22-Nov-13 13:39:41

I thinks its a shame your dd school couldnt do more to help you.

The teacher should be sacked. If they won't sack her, then the OP should home educate her child so that she is no longer subjected to such meanness and lack of support to do well.

What was the point of this post /\ /\ /\.

how is it unreasonable to expect a teacher to help a child.

i know it doesnt help you now op but in my ds's school there is an option to use the school computer room for writing up on the computer at break and lunch time, or to go and print out there is a small charge but very handy for when my LP and printer arnt talking.

maybe worth asking if this maybe an option in the future

Vivacia Fri 22-Nov-13 13:45:15

The point is that somebody accused the teacher of not supporting the child and not doing enough to help. What if the teacher is trying their absolute hardest to support all of the children in their care, with all sorts of parental issues in the mix too? I get so pissed off with the casual judging and slagging off of teachers in a way which shows so little understanding of their responsibilities.

WooWooOwl Fri 22-Nov-13 13:59:40

I have plenty of understanding about the responsibilities teachers have thanks, I still think this teacher wasn't very nice to be so unsupportive.

If there was literally nothing they could do to help, then fair enough. Im usually the first one to jump in and defend teachers on MN, and i can understand why it wouldn't be acceptable for the teacher to have to mark the project after the weekend.

But I can't see why it would be that much of an inconvenience for someone at the school to have either accepted an email and printed out the work, or for the teacher to read the work on her computer. If the teacher could have done that, but chose not to, then I think they are being mean.

ormirian Fri 22-Nov-13 14:00:10

School budgets are fairly restricted. Printer ink costs, as does paper. One pupil needs their hw printed, not a problem maybe. Two, three, four a bit more of a problem. Especially over all the years. Next time a project is due in some pupils will have noticed that your DD didn't hand in her project on paper so will try the same thing (as your DD did). And it will grow.

USB sticks can carry viruses and other nasties which might explain the reluctance to do that.

Of course it might be that the teacher was ina bad mood, didn't want any extra work even if it only took 'two seconds' and was being arsey. But next time your DD will be more organised.

fairylightsintheautumn Fri 22-Nov-13 14:01:11

unfair to use marking as a reason but that is the main reason we impose deadlines when we do. I space my deadlines so different classes hand in big projects /essays at different times and it is MUCH quicker to mark a batch of something all in one go. You get into a rhythm of what you are looking for. Odd bits handed in separately are a total pain. So long as I have given several nights for a hwk I am very hmm when I get printer excuses. Even if they are genuine, they shouldn't be leaving it til the night before because it is SO often the case that things go wrong with IT. You DD could have done most of it and added the last bit on hand written the night before. Regardless of SEN I think you were OTT to go to the lengths you did to get it printed and it is not down to the school that you did - it was your choice. If she is in Y6 she will be at secondary school next year with SO much more to organise and co-ordinate. Are you going to go to those lengths every time something doesn't go to plan?

tweetytwat Fri 22-Nov-13 14:04:35

I think that if your DD has SEN and difficulty with handwriting then accepting the work on a USB/email is a reasonable adjustment

I sent in photos of the class bear on a USB last week because I don't have a colour cartridge at the moment and I am not willing to buy expensive photo paper for this.

School cannot reasonably expect everyone to have access to a printer at home IMHO. I wouldn't have been willing to walk to the library, that was very kind of you, but do speak to the school about what to do next time.

moldingsunbeams Fri 22-Nov-13 14:09:14

"But next time your DD will be more organised"

nah she won't. her organisation skills are the crappest of the crap. I do try I really do. grin

fairylights I did not say that it was the schools fault that I trekked to sort it out, all the way through I have said it was our fault.

Vivacia Fri 22-Nov-13 14:17:30

WooWoo, I just think that on a Friday morning with 20-odd students coming under your care, it just isn't reasonable for the teacher to be inconvenienced because of another's mistake. "Your crisis is not my problem" springs to mind.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now