to expect clean sheets if invited to stay?

(58 Posts)
baggyoldcow Fri 22-Nov-13 09:41:48

How would you handle this?
You are invited by a friend to stay at their house, "please stay, please stay, we've plenty of room etc, etc". That's very kind of them, of course. So you go, and then they put you in the spare bedroom where the bed has clearly been slept in by someone else and the sheets not changed.
This has happened to us a couple of times (not with the same hosts). I find it very odd as I would never invite someone to stay if I didn't have the time or energy or inclination to offer them a clean bed!
Is it unreasonable to feel put out by this, given they are putting us up?
Is it unreasonable to say something? (Any suggestions as to what?)
Is it unreasonable to wash the sheets oneself while hosts are out?! wink

JapaneseMargaret Fri 22-Nov-13 18:53:05

Sometimes if I've had my friend over one night and then my mum over the next, I ask her if she minds slightly used sheets. Normally she's fine with it, but I'm always willing to change them if that's what she wants.

Normally she's fine with it. grin So sometimes she's not?

Surely, on that basis, she's really not fine with it, and is only being polite when she says she doesn't mind...?

FrauMoose Fri 22-Nov-13 18:56:18

I'd rather sleep on pure cotton sheets that some other guest had slept on before, than polycotton bedding that had been put on specially for me.

JapaneseMargaret Fri 22-Nov-13 19:15:37

Hopefully you tell your host that as well, so they know exactly what they're dealing with. wink

OrangeJuiceSandwich Fri 22-Nov-13 19:16:15

MIL does the. It's disgusting and lazy. If you can't be bothered to change the sheets don't have guests.

OrangeJuiceSandwich Fri 22-Nov-13 19:17:04

Does this

ProphetOfDoom Fri 22-Nov-13 19:22:48

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

GuffSmuggler Fri 22-Nov-13 19:35:13

Oh the memories as a student of being offered a sofa bed and then have it pulled out in front you with the sheet on it that is obviously left for every dosser that stays (boak).

Oh and when I was a bit older being invited to stay at a friends house and being told which room was mine to find a bare mattress and an old sleeping bag unzipped to sleep under (horrendous).

FrauMoose Fri 22-Nov-13 20:53:29

I'm quite princess-and-the-pea about manmade fibre. So although the ideal is crisp new ironed 100% sheets, I'd settle for ones that had been pre-used. Whereas on some freshelywhisked-through-the machine-and-tumble-dryer-easycare synthetic bedding, I'd be awake half the night.

But I would - I hope - be a polite guest. As long as there was a good book to read, I'd cope with the insomnia.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now