To sew DDs gloves onto string and attach them to her coat?

(25 Posts)
wonderstuff Thu 21-Nov-13 23:41:21

She told me not to, it's uncomfy apparently. But she's 6, she's on her third pair of gloves this winter and her hands get really red and sore if she doesn't wear gloves in cold weather.

She wanted them sewn on the sleeves, but a) this is easier b) I want to be able to wash them separately.

DH is doing school run tomorrow, she's going to be proper grumpy.

Longdistance Thu 21-Nov-13 23:43:54

Yanbu.

My dm used to do this, and it has been passed down the generations, as my dd's have them on string. It's the ONLY way to ensure they won't lose them.

YouAreMyRain Thu 21-Nov-13 23:47:33

Easier way, and more comfortable. Sew a button inside the cuff of her coat and sew some button hole elastic (like you get in adjustable waist kids clothes, available from eBay or haberdashery shops) to the gloves. Or vice versa. Or buttons on gloves and on coat, length of button hole elastic to join.

My very own idea smile been using it for a few years now.

YouAreMyRain Thu 21-Nov-13 23:48:29

Really easy to wash them toowink

2kidsintow Thu 21-Nov-13 23:49:36

I did it with ribbon, so softer than string.

My own as a child were held on by wool. I have an everlasting memory of putting my hand down on the car seat to push off and get out of the car and managing to slice off one of my chicken pox blisters. Was VERY painful.

Soft ribbon. Looped through the hanging hook. Bit of extra length (but not too much) for as they grow.

wonderstuff Thu 21-Nov-13 23:50:26

My dm did too, I don't remember taking issue, dd though is a sensitive soul and will melt down tomorrow when she finds I have done this. I have ripped every label out of every top she owns because the 'itch'..

wonderstuff Thu 21-Nov-13 23:53:34

I'm using acrylic yarn rather than string. Think I'd struggle to sew ribbon, and I don't have any. I may faff about with buttons tomorrow night, worry she'd unbutton and lose them?

missingmumxox Thu 21-Nov-13 23:56:55

Youare, I had the same idea I take the button and elastic out of torn school trousers as well

BeCool Fri 22-Nov-13 00:00:37

Use elastic not string.

Polarn O Pyret sell clip elastic combo things that are great and clip into coat and gloves. £4. Brilliant.

wonderstuff Fri 22-Nov-13 00:03:33

Ok I'm going to make her try the wool thing tomorrow and fix in buttons if it's annoying all day.

missingmumxox Fri 22-Nov-13 00:11:16

Oh just seen your post if you take the buttons and elastic out out trousers they will struggle to undo them, I know I do and I am not six

BraveMerida Fri 22-Nov-13 00:18:51

You don't need to.

You can sew a glove at each end of a metre (?) of string/ribbon, then thread it through the sleeves of the coat leaving the gloves hanging out.

Can't remember where I learnt that tip from, possibly MN.....

Whathaveiforgottentoday Fri 22-Nov-13 01:21:40

Find a nice MIL who knits mittens with attached woollen strings (all knitted as one) that thread though the coat.
I thank my MIL every day during winter!

Ericaequites Fri 22-Nov-13 02:18:33

Youare- brill idea since one can no longer find mitten clips which attach said gloves to coat so they can't be dropped. If using ribbon, the child's height plus 20 would work. Sew middle of ribbon to centre back of coat lining.

Ericaequites Fri 22-Nov-13 02:18:45

20 cm

Twinklestarstwinklestars Fri 22-Nov-13 02:32:30

I wouldn't at 6 I don't think but igabe for my nearly 4 year old and 5 month old, the nearly 4 year old managed to pull one off though so need to redo it. Much easier than replacing gloves all the time.

HSMMaCM Fri 22-Nov-13 07:38:47

My DD had a long piece of elastic going from glove to glove and up the sleeves. She was unimpressed.

MorgauseIsNotBlinking Fri 22-Nov-13 07:45:15

YANBU. I've threatened DH with this.

DaddyPigsMistress Fri 22-Nov-13 07:48:10

Ummm I'm 27 and my stepmum still does this for me with the mittens I get every year in my stocking blush

I would constantly lose them when clearing up dogs poo while waking the dogs in the dark months

grin

17leftfeet Fri 22-Nov-13 07:56:29

I can still remember how uncomfortable gloves are when they are strung through your coat and I'm 35!

What about one of those hats with attached scarf that have little pockets in them?

EBearhug Fri 22-Nov-13 08:01:52

My mum used elastic, which isn't quite so uncomfortable, as it stretches.

I did notice my current walking coat has little loops which fasten with poppers at the cuffs, which I assume are for gloves, probably hideously expensive, thermal lined, waterproof, performance gloves.

wanderings Fri 22-Nov-13 08:10:05

My mum used elastic. It worked very well! But she did send me to school in a duffle coat in the 1980's.

(Gloves on elastic were often used as playground weapons though! wink )

notapizzaeater Fri 22-Nov-13 08:13:29

Amazon do mitten clips ...... I love them and used to use them onn ds gloves.

Lilicat1013 Fri 22-Nov-13 08:21:53

Jo Jo Maman Bebe do an elastic thing you can put through the coat or clips in a pack of two.

www.jojomamanbebe.co.uk/sp+mitten-string-in-accessories-for-kids+b3569

www.jojomamanbebe.co.uk/sp+2-pack-mitten-clips-in-accessories-for-kids+a4914

Some people are more sensitive to how things feel so she probably isn't exaggerating when she says it is uncomfortable. For that reason I would suggest going with clips rather than anything that will touch her skin.

notapizzaeater Fri 22-Nov-13 08:23:26

The clips are what's in amazon but amazon are cheaper.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now