am I the only sane person left who does maths in pensil?

(49 Posts)

DS1, year nine, insists that he will be told to do his homework again if it is done in pensil.
Please tell me this is not normal school policy?

Crowler Thu 21-Nov-13 19:14:24

Not normal.

reelingintheyears Thu 21-Nov-13 19:14:45

Pencil.

Sorry wink

Euphemia Thu 21-Nov-13 19:14:56

Why would a Year 9 be doing anything, apart from perhaps diagrams, in pencil? confused

HopeClearwater Thu 21-Nov-13 19:16:32

Maths is done in ink, apart from graphs. What else would you write it in?

PS As observed upthread, it's pencil

SaucyJack Thu 21-Nov-13 19:17:31

You'd be well off doing your spellings in pencil too.

ColdTeaAgain Thu 21-Nov-13 19:19:09

At first I read that as "does maths in persil", was confused for a moment. I'm tired hmm

Taz1212 Thu 21-Nov-13 19:19:17

I'm 45 and I still always do math in pencil. I use a pen for everything else! We used pencils at school for math and pens for writing.

wispywoo1 Thu 21-Nov-13 19:21:13

I'm a maths teacher and I prefer my pupils to write in pencil. Your dd's teacher is being very pedantic!!

wispywoo1 Thu 21-Nov-13 19:21:39

sorry, 'ds.

I know I don't do spelling, dyslexia runs in the family which is why I think doing any thing in pen is mad.
I may be old but I have recently completed a degree and I did all he written stuff in pencil

Feminine Thu 21-Nov-13 19:23:34

Tut tut to those correcting spelling!

YANBU op

FeisMom Thu 21-Nov-13 19:23:43

"Your dd's teacher is being very pedantic!!"

So are a lot of posters on this thread, rudely correcting the OP's spelling.

Its OK, it looked odd to me but spell check passed it so I left it as pensil

MollyBerry Thu 21-Nov-13 19:29:11

I always did maths in pencil at that age

Totally off topic I looked up what pensil was because as you said spell check didn't pick it up and it is - A narrow flag, streamer, or pennon, especially one carried at the top of a lance or spear.

NiceTabard Thu 21-Nov-13 19:29:14

Why wouldn't they be allowed to do it in pencil?
What difference does it make, as long as he shows his workings & it's legible?
Maths with pencil seems sensible in case you want to draw a graph / diagram / triangle with angles / sketch something or what-have-you. Perfectly normal and reasonable to do maths in pencil.

TSSDNCOP Thu 21-Nov-13 19:29:40

I did mine in pencil, because I was beyond shit at maths and needed to make a LOT of corrections. Once I was fairly certain I was right I wrote over the pencil with pen.

I still do figures at work in pencil.

I hate maths. Be grateful I put anything in writing is my thinking and bugger what medium I bloody use.

MeMySonAndI Thu 21-Nov-13 19:30:51

I think you need to do your writing in pensil too ;-)

TSSDNCOP Thu 21-Nov-13 19:30:55

I could raise a pensil above my house with "I bloody hate maths" embroidered upon it.

trinity0097 Thu 21-Nov-13 19:31:08

Pen from Year 5 in my Maths department, unless a diagram. Pencil is awful, always needs sharpening and easy to rub out working. It's also harder to read as it's fainter. Pencils are only for babies is my motto!

GCSEs have to be completed in black ink, pencil is not acceptable.

ShoeWhore Thu 21-Nov-13 19:31:48

I've got a maths degree and have always written maths in pencil. It just feels right.

I use the wind out pencils they never need sharpening and are always sharp.

Crowler Thu 21-Nov-13 20:26:33

Sorry. I sincerely would like some clarification rather than snark. Are people really suggesting that math is to be done in ink? <feeling old>

candycoatedwaterdrops Thu 21-Nov-13 20:27:02

See, this is why you don't pick on posters for misspelling something....they might be dyslexic! You all knew what she meant. hmm

OP, YANBU. I did an access course a few years ago and had to re-do Maths GCSE. I whipped out a pencil and my course mates all laughed at me! shock

DH loves his pencil.

and spelling is important

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now