to think that if you're a pilot, you should be able to land at the right airport

(14 Posts)
OrlandoWoolf Thu 21-Nov-13 16:21:27

www.independent.co.uk/news/world/americas/massive-boeing-747-jumbo-jet-stuck-after-mistakenly-landing-at-tiny-kansas-airport-8954408.html

One of the world's biggest planes land at the wrong airport in Kansas (not a military one) and realises it's not got enough runway to take off again.

So they are going to steal an idea off Cabin Pressure and tow it to the right aiport grin

Sirzy Thu 21-Nov-13 16:22:25

I have just read about that, scary how he didn't realise - and did air traffic control not realise he was coming into the wrong place?

RoseRedder Thu 21-Nov-13 16:24:15

How did this even happen?

OrlandoWoolf Thu 21-Nov-13 16:28:36

"Can you see the runway?" (female ATC)

"Of course, I can"

"Are you sure? There's another one nearby"

"I know what I'm doing. Leave me alone."

Something like that grin

friday16 Thu 21-Nov-13 16:38:14

It's hardly a new problem. A 707 landed at Northolt (aiming for Heathrow) in the sixties, and as a result NO (for Northolt) and LH (for London Heathrow) were painted in bloody great big letters on gasometers on the respective approaches. I think they only managed to get it out (Northolt is a pretty small airfield, and 707s had very poor takeoff performance) by taking out the seats and putting about a pint of fuel in.

More recently, and with a bigger potential for a big accident, a RyanAir flight (operated by EirJet, not that it matters) managed to land at an old army based five miles from Derry rather than, er, Derry. They were fucking lucky that the runway, wasn't occupied as it's now used for all sorts of other tasks. News story here, and for enthusiasts, the Air Accident report is an absolute corker.

MarianneEnjolras Thu 21-Nov-13 16:38:57

I'll bet that's exactly what happened Orlando. grin

OrlandoWoolf Thu 21-Nov-13 16:39:34

You'd have thought they'd have Sat Navs and all that. With lovely voices telling them they were going wrong.

GaryTheTankEngine Thu 21-Nov-13 16:40:41

His instruments should have told him he was in the wrong place, surely.

They probably will have to tow it, at least to a bigger runway grin

sashh Thu 21-Nov-13 16:41:30

strangely not uncommon

www.thirdamendment.com/wrongway.html

friday16 Thu 21-Nov-13 16:53:17

You'd have thought they'd have Sat Navs and all that.

Listen to a recording of the ATC here.

It's pretty hilarious. About 1:10 in to the recording, they realise they've landed at the wrong airport, but think they're at the wrong wrong airport. There are three airfields in the area, they were aiming for McConnell Air Force Base, think they've landed at the Beech Factory, have actually landed at Jabara.

RoseRedder Thu 21-Nov-13 17:33:44

I'm never flying again grin

TheWomanTheyCallSarahJayne Thu 21-Nov-13 17:37:20

Rose
They landed didn't they? grin What more do you want

whois Thu 21-Nov-13 18:48:55

That is v funny!!!

Caitlin17 Thu 21-Nov-13 23:14:38

Would it be unreasonable to mention I have the biggest crush on Roger Allam's voice? I'd be quite happy being flown to the wrong airport listening to him.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now