To ask you not to buy angora products? (Warning - graphic link)

(86 Posts)
Resideria Wed 20-Nov-13 20:37:56

Was thinking of buying angora socks for my mum for Christmas before I read about the unspeakable practices behind angora fur production. I had no idea! Apparently 90% of all angora is produced in China, link is here:
www.cbsnews.com/8301-202_162-57612939/peta-releases-video-of-angora-rabbit-investigation-in-china/

sashh Thu 21-Nov-13 07:59:56

Pax

We do indeed.

I think for some people the cruelty actually adds to the ...... er...... not sure which word to use, but you know what I mean

kali110 Thu 21-Nov-13 09:41:20

Omg no

Slippersandacuppa Thu 21-Nov-13 10:13:57

Awful, the list just goes on and on...wool (particularly Australia where they still practice mulesing - don't google it), dogs skinned when they're still alive in China, live baby turtles sold in key rings, fois gras, Uggs. If I let myselfthink about it too much, I'd never get out of bed sad What are we doing to these poor animals.

ItsAllGoingToBeFine Thu 21-Nov-13 10:22:27

Umm, if it affects you some much, go vegan! You don't have to wear or eat animal products....

Tiptops Thu 21-Nov-13 10:54:23

'Umm, if it affects you some much, go vegan! You don't have to wear or eat animal products....'

Why do you assume people aren't already? Even if someone is not vegan they are totally able to be repulsed by animal cruelty. Turning a blind eye because it upsets us doesn't stop the awful way animals are being treated.

ItsAllGoingToBeFine Thu 21-Nov-13 11:04:52

Even if someone is not vegan they are totally able to be repulsed by animal cruelty. Turning a blind eye because it upsets us doesn't stop the awful way animals are being treated

I completely agree! I was trying to say that rather than wailing and moaning about it on the internet, do something about it. I also strongly suspect that some on this thread have been shocked and appalled by this example of animal cruelty, but have no idea about the everyday cruelty behind e.g egg production.

bundaberg Thu 21-Nov-13 11:07:29

this is so awful sad
and I didn't realise that they produced down in the same way. I have a lot of down products but I'm not going to buy any more!

it makes me want to cry a bit sad

ElizabethBathory Thu 21-Nov-13 11:12:23

I had no idea about this, so thanks OP. Didn't know about down either - I don't have any down clothes, but what about duvets etc?

I used to buy fluffy angora jumpers all the time in the early 2000s, and there's loads of it about now so I guess it's come back into fashion. I bought one the other day in fact blush

MarshaBrady Thu 21-Nov-13 11:14:21

The down thing is a big issue. Easy to avoid angora but we have many down duvets. Are there any better brands?

Can't bear animal cruelty, seems to be largely ignored.

ColdTeaAgain Thu 21-Nov-13 11:39:55

"Umm, if it affects you some much, go vegan! You don't have to wear or eat animal products...."

What a silly comment, you can still consume animal products and remain ethical. Education is the key. The more awareness there is of the sorts of things that go on, then hopefully these practices will gradually lessen until they cease to exist. Its all about supply and demand. Sadly some people value cheap products over the lives of these poor creatures.

I also didn't know that down was produced in the same way sad I don't own any down duvets and now I never will!

froubylou Thu 21-Nov-13 11:51:13

I can't click on the link. I saw a video on fb a couple of months ago about the fur trade in China. I must admit until I watched that video I sort of thought of wearing fur the same as wearing leather. A personal choice but nothing cruel about it.

The only fur in my life will be that of my dog. And no angora or down either.

The cost of affordable fashion is far too high these days. If its not sweat shops, child labour and factories collapsing it's horrific cruelty to animals.

Foxred10 Thu 21-Nov-13 11:53:52

Not all down is ripped out of live birds - a good deal of it is a by-product of the food industry. John Lewis for example only uses down and feather from ethical sources (by-product). As cruel as some of these practices are, it's important not to throw the baby out with the bath water and assume that all animal products are inherently cruel. Careful, thoughtful sourcing is the responsibility of the consumer, as well as realising that if something is cheap then the production of it was probably damaging to people, animals or both.

The description of the video is bad enough - I don't think I have ever bought angora - but I certainly won't be buying it in the future!

ColdTeaAgain Thu 21-Nov-13 11:56:15

Thank you foxred, thats reassuring to know.

Freddiefrog Thu 21-Nov-13 12:00:27

and Uggs

smallbusiness.yahoo.com/advisor/uggs-uggly-reputation-214515845.html

I can't watch the video, don't think I've ever bought Angora and certainly won't be now

China has terrible standards of animal welfare. That doesn't mean that every single angora producer in the world uses Chinese methods.

FunnyRunner Thu 21-Nov-13 12:02:40

Another person who had no idea how angora was produced shock I always imagined it was like wool on a sheep or something, just trimmed off not ripped out sad

I've never bought any and I never will!

Rooble Thu 21-Nov-13 12:06:01

What's wrong with Uggs? (Appreciate the sheep is slaughtered, but as a meat-eater I don't have an issue with this). Or do you mean Ugg-alikes?

Abra1d Thu 21-Nov-13 12:08:32

Does everyone who produces angora do it this way? I sincerely hope not. Will remind my daughter not to buy angora products. Poor rabbits.

DuckToWater Thu 21-Nov-13 12:09:36

Careful, thoughtful sourcing is the responsibility of the consumer, as well as realising that if something is cheap then the production of it was probably damaging to people, animals or both.

Paying more doesn't mean it is ethical though. Loads of retailers have clothes made in the same factories as Primark, the only difference is they charge four times as much for the same goods.

I think yes, you can think about what you buy as a consumer - up to a point, it's a complete minefield. I read this thread and thought "FFS, something else I can't buy." But the primary responsibilty is with the retail businesses to act ethically.

DuckToWater Thu 21-Nov-13 12:12:31

Surely the Ugg thing also applies to sheepskin coats and leather?

What about man-made fibres produced using tons of natural resources?

You can't win.

Abra1d Thu 21-Nov-13 12:13:50

Have answered my own question--no, they don't.

steeking Thu 21-Nov-13 12:15:04

Also check where your feather duvet comes from. In China the birds are live plucked which is excruciatingly painful.

bundaberg Thu 21-Nov-13 12:17:26

a friend linked me to a statement made by the ugg manufacturers saying that ALL their sheepskin is a byproduct of the meat industry.

which made me wonder how they can possibly get away with charging so much for them hmm

foxred thank you for the heads up on john lewis! my pillows are from there phew but I've had cheap ones in the past and I'll be very wary of where i source that kind of thing from in future.

we actually got wool duvets for the kids which are lovely too, and I am presuming just from sheap that are sheared (or killed for meat I suppose)

ItsAllGoingToBeFine Thu 21-Nov-13 12:17:59

The person who originally posted the ugg article linked to above was unaware that sheepskin is actually sheepskin.... But yes issues with ugg-alikes too.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now