To take them with me?

(471 Posts)
Geckos48 Wed 20-Nov-13 10:29:35

So my husband is away at the moment, he 'doesn't know' if he will be back tonight.
I've had to mess work around already this week and I dont think they could cope with me missing my shift tonight sad

My calls are in an incredibly rural location and its really safe round here.
WIBU to take the children? Make a little 'nest' in the back of the car and give them their bottles and put them down to bed in the large boot of our people carrier?

I could dress them up warm and I would only be out for around 2hours with them, checking back regularly and driving inbetween calls every half an hour or so?

I dont know what else to do!

noblegiraffe Wed 20-Nov-13 10:32:45

How can you put them to bed in the boot, and drive around between calls? You would need to keep putting them in their car seat.
Personally, I would not leave my children asleep unattended in a car while I went and did something else requiring my full attention.

Can you get someone to babysit? Hire a babysitter from an agency?

How old are they? I don't think I'd be comfortable with it if they're only babies.

CaptainSweatPants Wed 20-Nov-13 10:35:59

Er no you can't do that

Geckos48 Wed 20-Nov-13 10:36:31

They are 1 and 3.

I would be okay driving them round the very rural location not strapped in because its not very far inbetween places and they are mostly on the same private estate/rural area.

I have and do leave them in the car when they are asleep, I see nothing wrong with that but at night is a new one for me sad

I have asked all my friends and one 'might' be able to help out later but doesnt know what time and another can only babysit til six, well I dont need to leave til 6.30 so thats pointless.

Sorry I really wouldn't do it, difficult when you have no other option. No family who could help? A neighbour?

Shinyshoes1 Wed 20-Nov-13 10:38:28

There's no-one that could sit with them ??!

AngelsLieToKeepControl Wed 20-Nov-13 10:38:30

No way, everywhere is 'really safe', until the day that something happens.

Unfortunately I don't think you can do this. You're not allowed to leave them asleep in your house while you pop nextdoor to the neighbours for something, for example.

I think you are going to have to find a babysitter, even if that seems like a hard task, you'll have to ask someone.

NOT STRAPPED IN! No way.

Geckos48 Wed 20-Nov-13 10:41:07

They would be strapped in when driving on any actual roads that are not private roads.

There is nobody, I have checked all avenues today. I had someone lined up but shes let me down. I dont know what to do sad

Definitely don't drive them around in the boot!

sandfrog Wed 20-Nov-13 10:41:45

Agree with noblegiraffe that you could find a babysitter from an agency such as http://www.sitters.co.uk/

What about Homestart? O know they can send someone to sit with you for an hour or two but I don't know about babysitting, worth asking?

PurpleRayne Wed 20-Nov-13 10:42:13

It would probably be fine. But. If it went wrong, it would go wrong big-time. Not worth the risk to your babies. You need to make other arrangements and give your DH hell for not sorting this out properly.

Do they usually go to nursery? My friend is a nursery nurse and babysits the babies occasionally

Leaving them to sleep in their carseats is one thing, but to have them in the boot?

WTAF?

No. You can't do this. Find a babysitter or take the night off.

birdybear Wed 20-Nov-13 10:43:30

apart from the fact that it is completely illegal and you could be charged with neglect! if i was walking the dog and saw two babies asleep or crying in the boot of a car i would call the police in a shot!

Sirzy Wed 20-Nov-13 10:43:47

You want to drive them around in the boot and leave them in the car while you work? YABVU

MortifiedAnyFuckerAdams Wed 20-Nov-13 10:43:49

You are being totally unreasonable, feckless and neglectful driving them on any road not strapped in.

What are you travelling around to do?

I cannot beleive you are seriously considrring this.

ebwy Wed 20-Nov-13 10:44:38

You know where I would have callad a "reqlly safe" place until comparatively recently? Machynlleth. Poor little April was testament to the fact it isn't. No-where is safe enough. And no journey is short enough either.

ebwy Wed 20-Nov-13 10:45:16

Sorry my phone loves typos

CaptainSweatPants Wed 20-Nov-13 10:45:18

Just pay for childcare
Like the rest of us hmm

Helpyourself Wed 20-Nov-13 10:45:49

You absolutely cannot do this.
Does your DH understand that you can't work if he's not back

Geckos48 Wed 20-Nov-13 10:46:02

If the only issue is the boot thing then I can leave them asleep in their car seats.

I really really fucking wish I wasn't having to deal with this stress.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now