To think I could attend interview while my DD is still EBF?

(21 Posts)
TheFallenMadonna Mon 18-Nov-13 18:44:18

Apply, and then ask about it if (when!) you are called for interview. There is a lot of sitting around on a teaching interview day. We would happily accommodate you.

justalilmummy Mon 18-Nov-13 18:37:18

Is ur baby in a routine for feeding? If not it's not going to work, I would express for that day, then u won't be stressing and can concentrate on the interview

joben Mon 18-Nov-13 18:31:41

I had a teaching interview 14 years ago when my DS was a few months old and in between different parts of the process (interview, then observation of teaching) I bf him. It was all fine, the office staff looked after my DS (the HT had allocated someone, when I asked if I could take DS!). I got the job a few months later and would have stayed there if I hadn't fallen pregnant again a few months later. Whoops! It was a very positive experience.

Mariposa70 Mon 18-Nov-13 17:04:34

I would also tell them if you get through to interview, don't want to look too presumptuous.
I had a head tell me once that she took her baby to a heads interview day and BF there, now that takes guts.
It's a pain that teaching interviews do take all day now, I'm always surprised when they don't ask you to push the hoover round at the end of it, they might as well.
Good luck.

oscarwilde Mon 18-Nov-13 16:38:41

I would do it. Expressing during the day will take just as long, if not longer and you will be more stressed wondering if the baby is taking a bottle, distressed etc etc.

I've taken a baby to an At Risk interview though [machiavellian]

Apply, say nothing and when you are called for interview / selection panel day [wtf takes all day by the way?], ask if you can have a 15 min break at 10, 1 & 3 to feed your child. Should be fine. Everyone will be off smoking and drinking bad coffee then anyway.

If by the time the interview rolls around it's a non-issue (baby happily takes bottle) then I would avoid it. Small children are rarely career enhancing in my experience.

Hermione123 Mon 18-Nov-13 16:13:40

Good luck op hope you get it!

blueberryupsidedown Mon 18-Nov-13 16:01:17

I wouldn't. I'd express and leave a bottle for the baby, and just pump milk for relief during the day. I wouldn't even mention it. I would prefer not to have that on my mind during a job application process and during the interview.

Maymeeee Mon 18-Nov-13 15:59:58

Thanks for replies, I think I will apply and see what happens! May all be moot anyway if I'm not called for interview. Thanks again.

I'd chat with them about it at the interview stage not application. it falls into the realms of reasonable adjustments for interview. and I'd call someone about it not write. good luck!

TerrorMeSue Mon 18-Nov-13 15:33:01

I don't think it's unreasonable. I arranged expressing facilities for a candidate for a pretty high-powered role once (over a decade ago, so not a new issue). I have also attended a half day interview whilst EBF, and on another occasion a 2hr interview whilst EBF (but no breaks required). I have also expressed at work and also had baby brought for feeds.

I doubt a good employer would want to be seen to discriminate.

Maymeeee Mon 18-Nov-13 15:28:43

I was thinking that DD and carer could wait in a cafe and just come to the car park for me to feed her, not hang out in reception or anything! Should I tell anyone? I was thinking that I could just pop out to the car when there is a break in the day, or will they just think I'm being odd?

Hermione123 Mon 18-Nov-13 15:23:04

Hmmmm but you can express privately at natural breaks in the day. I wouldn't do it, but not a teacher so not sure how open minded people in that industry are.

lottiegarbanzo Mon 18-Nov-13 15:10:29

I think that's fine. You could offer to express instead, if they don't want extra people hanging around but you'll need to do something, or you'll explode!

ZillionChocolate Mon 18-Nov-13 15:08:04

I don't think that's an unreasonable request. If I were an employer I'd be reassured that you could sort weaning and child are for 5 months' time.

Maymeeee Mon 18-Nov-13 14:49:19

I would need to express during the day then anyway, I thought it would take the same amount of time to just feed DD and be less faff?

Punkatheart Mon 18-Nov-13 14:45:56

Can you not express the milk and leave the baby at home? I really think it would not do you any favours to have to keep popping out to breastfeed, when you are attending an interview. It would be stressful.

CoffeeTea103 Mon 18-Nov-13 14:44:55

I just saw your post. I think it should be ok then.

CoffeeTea103 Mon 18-Nov-13 14:43:39

What would you do if you got the job. You obviously won't bring the baby to work. So just go with what you would be doing when you got the job.

Maymeeee Mon 18-Nov-13 14:43:14

Job start would be the end of April, baby would be weaned by then, childcare all sorted.

Jiltedjohnsjulie Mon 18-Nov-13 14:41:21

If you get the job, how long will it be until you start and what will you be doing with Lo then?

Maymeeee Mon 18-Nov-13 14:36:55

I am hoping to apply for a job where the interview is likely to be the best part of a day long. There is someone who can come along with me and look after the baby, I would just need a couple of breaks during the day to go out to them to BF. Do you think that I should mention this in my application form? Would you think this is a reasonable request? The job is a teaching post. Thanks for reading!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now