To wonder if I'm allowed to shop in Waitrose?

(160 Posts)
ohmymimi Mon 18-Nov-13 14:30:47

One is opening nearby. I'm probably slightly lower middle class, I have ordered on-line from John Lewis, though, and I've never shopped in my pyjamas without a jumper and jeans on top.

GhostsInSnow Tue 19-Nov-13 13:54:44

Ooh I love Waitrose. Our city is classed as 'not fitting their demographic' though so the nearest one is 20 miles away and I have to make do with Ocado.

DH took me out for the day last year for my birthday, he asked me if there was anywhere specific I wanted to go, I replied 'Waitrose!'. He thought I was joking....I wasn't. Had a great time fact finding for naice foods to order from Ocado including the amazing essentials mandarin cheesecake which is a little slice of heaven.

I'm 39% Posh, I fear my Barbour Jacket (donkeys years old) and Hunter Wellies (won in a competition) let me down.

gotthemoononastick Tue 19-Nov-13 13:29:51

I am a slow classless(because I am forrin ) old lady who can do whatever I want, whenever I want!

I go specially to see the little fairies in tutus,wings and wellies that Mrs de Vere describes so well.Love the little boys with dirty knees in the above.They speak beautifully and help!

And the baked cheesecake!

Punkatheart Tue 19-Nov-13 13:10:37

I love the idea of Waitrose as a dirty little secret. wink

nancerama Tue 19-Nov-13 11:27:42

Nothing wrong with the essentials range. Any shop that defines chocolate eclair as an essential is the shop for me.

ohmymimi Tue 19-Nov-13 10:13:43

Melon - Excuse me, I'm 55 percent oik, I've done the test and I'm posh from the waist up ( true because my fanjolina has been around and once had an encounter with a manual worker).

Melonbreath Tue 19-Nov-13 09:59:38

Yabu.
You are clearly an oik. It drives me mad the riff raff that's cluttering up my favourite naice supermarket. Now if you'll excuse me I need to stock up on diamond studded potatoes and swan burgers.

hoity toitelly walks away from thread with snooty nose in air and haughty face

ohmymimi Tue 19-Nov-13 09:57:59

Justmyview - where can I get a man with rhubarb cords? I live v near the Cotswolds, so have seen a few about - can you rent one by the hour?

ProfPlumSpeaking Tue 19-Nov-13 09:31:57

Yes, but only their Essentials range wink

Inglori0us Tue 19-Nov-13 09:30:09

I love Waitrose but my DH says we're not Waitrose People. As a result I hide my delicious contraband and eat it in secret while he has the Tesco stuff.

grumpyoldbat Tue 19-Nov-13 08:27:03

Never been to Waitrose. Our nearest is about 30miles away. I'll stick to Lidl, being underclass I'll not be welcome.

Mushypeasandchipstogo Tue 19-Nov-13 07:29:14

I always put my YSL lipstick on before I go to Waitrose. grin I find if you go on Monday afternoon you get all the good stuff marked down and a free coffee helps calm me down before the school run. Would not be seen dead in our local Tesco!

MummyMegatron Tue 19-Nov-13 05:30:29

I am not sure where I can shop. I am working class and have a northern accent. Some of my clothes are a bit bling and I have a fancy car. I live in a big house and my DH is a bit posh and works in banking. I have been to Uni, but am now a SAHM.

I like hummus and I like sun dried tomatoes from the deli.

Help me find a suitable shop before I starve to death.

arfishy Tue 19-Nov-13 05:15:17

I wish I'd known about the mince pies. They have inexplicably started to sell some of the Waitrose Heston stuff in Coles (like Tesco). I grabbed some ($10 I think ffs) and produced them with a triumphant flourish during drinks with some English friends. We were SO excited, sighed wistfully about Waitrose and saved them for the end of the evening. They were vile. Completely undid all of the plaudits I got for my Heston Chilli.

BadLad Tue 19-Nov-13 03:47:33

As long as you aren't an oik, they will probably let you in on a week-long trial.

EBearhug Tue 19-Nov-13 00:34:23

Waitrose aren't that posh. They're at Fleet Services. That's where you stop for the loo on the way to London.

dappledawn Tue 19-Nov-13 00:28:03

52% posh, me - (so just squeaked in) shock

volestair Tue 19-Nov-13 00:07:29

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

LCHammer Mon 18-Nov-13 23:58:14

Helza - what can I say? I feel sad for you.

helzapoppin2 Mon 18-Nov-13 23:53:26

Been reading back a few pages. What the frickety frick do you do with pomegranate molasses?

Caitlin17 Mon 18-Nov-13 23:44:46

Fortnums is lovely. It'd be "Breakfast at Fortnums" not Tiffanys for me.

LCHammer Mon 18-Nov-13 23:39:54

I'm concerned that OP hasn't updated. Has she tried access and was denied it? Or maybe worse?

ladydepp Mon 18-Nov-13 23:34:58

When our local Safeway closed and became a Waitrose I cried......tears of joy. DH cried tears of joy too, when he realised that our house had just rocketed in value as a result grin.

Note - I am foreign and therefore utterly classless, I can shop ANYWHERE

Fannydabbydozey Mon 18-Nov-13 23:27:23

I live in a small town which has a Tesco metro, a large sainsburys, a large ish Asda and a beautiful, spacious, stress free waitrose. It is a thing of wonder. The only time I ever saw it horribly busy was just before Xmas last year when there was a middle aged, middle class revolt following a run on the organic sprouts.

I nip in after school pick up to buy reduced spatchcock poussin - just so my kids can say poussin in an affected twang at school the following day.

I find overly muddy muck boots and a diesel parka to be the perfect attire for shopping there: half media hore/half horsey posh bint.

In other news, I once saw a pfb actually SLAPPING her mother at the tills in waitrose. On the face. I dropped my poussin I was so horrified. The mum then gave her vile little shite daughter a biscuit to appease her. I think hope she was zapped by the old ladies with a neverknowinglyundersold gun on the way out.

SignoraStronza Mon 18-Nov-13 23:19:22

I do my big shop in Aldi then go straight to Waitrose for a free coffee, a few bits I couldn't find beforehand and a free Guardian there are usually plenty left but few Waily Fails of course Invariably the baby disgraces me by standing up in the trolley seat, shouting at the deli staff (one of whom happens to be its auntie) and requiring full use of the changing facilities. wink

I receive plenty of tuts on account of my orange hair, odd dress sense, spirited bloody noisy 1 year old and occasional loud parenting slip ups along the lines of 'Ooh, gin! Mummy needs gin!'.

But then I sound quite posh -- no idea why-- so might just get away with it.

oldclothcat Mon 18-Nov-13 23:17:11

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now