To wonder if I'm allowed to shop in Waitrose?

(160 Posts)
ohmymimi Mon 18-Nov-13 14:30:47

One is opening nearby. I'm probably slightly lower middle class, I have ordered on-line from John Lewis, though, and I've never shopped in my pyjamas without a jumper and jeans on top.

MardyBra Mon 18-Nov-13 15:45:26

What are the names of your DC OP? If you're prepared to shout "Come back and help me select some organic mozzarella, Tarquin" across the shop floor, you'll fit in fine.

If you holler, "Do you want a 10 or 15 pack of Monster Munch, Princess Kylie Brandy-Mai?" down the aisles, maybe less so.

Pigsmummy Mon 18-Nov-13 15:47:37

Practise saying "how now, brown cow" in your poshest voice before visiting, Don't use Facebook whilst in there or buy Fruitshoots. If your phone rings whilst in their, ignore it and give a person nearby a filthy look.

Their cherry tomatoes and peppers are 10p cheaper than the ones in Sainsburys btw.

SaggyOldClothCatPuss Mon 18-Nov-13 15:47:48

Im lower lower middle class. Should I stick to Lidl?

harticus Mon 18-Nov-13 15:49:49

One is opening nearby

There goes the neighbourhood.

spiderlight Mon 18-Nov-13 15:49:50

oldgrandmama My son was run over in Waitrose! A horrible old lady knocked him absolutely flying with her trolley (he was 4, and was at my side behaving perfectly at the time) and then stood absolutely glaring at me as I picked him up and comforted him. Not a hint of an apology sad

MardyBra Mon 18-Nov-13 15:50:49

Is anyone middle middle middle class?

campion Mon 18-Nov-13 15:53:16

They have a child trap by the entrance which nabs screaming children before they get in the shop.

It's true. Must be because there are no screaming kiddies in my Waitrose.

Plenty of Jocastas and Tarquins, though, helping mummy ( see above)

And you can't beat the 3p off for using your My Waitrose card. Heaps better than Nectar (!)

TiggyD Mon 18-Nov-13 15:54:47

I went in a John Lewis once. It feels how Heaven must feel: All real solid wood, brushed aluminium gizmos, executive sportswear, cashmere, and stockings on ladies' legs sticking up in the air on the counters.

Snowflakepie Mon 18-Nov-13 15:56:16

Get them to deliver, then pjs are acceptable. Free coffee and newspaper only if you go in though, but the staff are so darn cheery you probably could wear a fleece onesie and they wouldn't say a word. On the plus side, the kiddy parking spaces are usually available, makes me happy. Trollies are still possessed by satan, however.

TiggyD Mon 18-Nov-13 15:56:40

Is anyone middle middle middle class?

Chris Packham.

TiggyD Mon 18-Nov-13 15:58:47

I'm lower lower middle class. Should I stick to Lidl?

No, Asda, Morrisons and Co-op are still acceptable. As are Tesco and Sainsburys, but not their 'Finest' or 'Taste the difference' ranges.

FortyDoorsToNowhere Mon 18-Nov-13 16:01:52

poshtest.com/

take the posh test 1st. I am 10% posh so i don't think i would be allowed in the car park, let alone the shop.

I feel safe in JL and Waitrose. I also feel young and stylishly dressed.

MardyBra Mon 18-Nov-13 16:03:55

I am 55% posh. Does that make me upper middle middle middle?

Nance, I had the loo cleaner mince pies too. Fucking MINGING! Too clever by seven eights. The only saving grace is that they were in the reduced section, so I didn't waste a whole three quid on them.

nancerama Mon 18-Nov-13 16:06:36

The flaky pastry was nice, but just left me longing wistfully for a sausage roll.

TiggyD Mon 18-Nov-13 16:07:10

I'm 19% posh. shock

nellieellie Mon 18-Nov-13 16:07:48

I am not posh but live in posh (ish) area with no Waitrose but a Sainsbury's. To get to a Waitrose I have to drive to a distinctly unposh area and negotiate no end of artificial fibre and pound shops.
Is it an attempt at social engineering?

Helpyourself Mon 18-Nov-13 16:10:16

Mrscakes grin

nancerama Mon 18-Nov-13 16:10:32

61%. How on earth is that possible?

volestair Mon 18-Nov-13 16:12:48

I'm middle middle middle to upper middle middle, and get source my pomegranate molasses from my local Asian grocers. Faaaar more authentic and so reasonably priced.

smile

IHadADreamThatWasNotAllADream Mon 18-Nov-13 16:12:54

I'm middle middle class. I shop at whichever supermarket makes it worth my while by sending me a decent voucher, or Lidl if it's not raining or Ocado if I'm feeling lazy. But Waitrose's free tea is a considerable incentive.

loveliesbleeding1 Mon 18-Nov-13 16:13:03

I am officially 56% posh,so I can go in, buy some carrier bags, then run round the corner to sainsburys to fill them up.

SaggyOldClothCatPuss Mon 18-Nov-13 16:14:18

CRIKEY! I AM 61% POSH!
That means, Tiggy that I am considerably posher than yew!

IHadADreamThatWasNotAllADream Mon 18-Nov-13 16:15:05

Some Heston stuff is great (though overpriced) though. The Christmas puddings are delicious, and the Black Forest Gateau thing was a real treat when Ocado had it on clearance..

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now