Note: Please bear in mind that whilst this topic does canvass opinions, it is not a fight club. You may disagree with other posters but we do ask you please to stick to our Talk Guidelines and to be civil. We don't allow personal attacks or troll-hunting. Do please report any. Thanks, MNHQ.

Cliff Richard - should he give it up?

(180 Posts)
paulagil Mon 18-Nov-13 12:32:16

Just been watching him on This Morning (whilst pretending to work from home and surfing Mumsnet).

AIBU to think he should call it quits? His face is full of plastic and his movements are stiff. He's certainly never been a Mick Jagger but Mick still has the energy and fire of a 30 year old, despite looking so haggard (and we all know why THAT is).

So Cliff, what are you doing? You were very pretty when you were young. But now I think it's time to put on the slippers.

??

CrispyFB Mon 18-Nov-13 13:21:06

He makes a lot of people very happy in a mostly (cringe factor aside!) inoffensive way and for that reason alone he should keep going if he wants to. He's been going for so long now, even though I could care less for most of his music, that he at least has my respect for his tenacity! Far rather deal with Cliff than Bieber.

I can envisage a similar conversation on a forum in about 30 years time about Gary Barlow to be honest wink Because he IS going to be still going. We all know it. Mind you, so might Cliff..

Morgause Mon 18-Nov-13 13:22:16

The only Christmas song that is worse than Saviour's Day is Mistletoe and Whine. I have to leave shops when either come on.

Beyond awful.

caruthers Mon 18-Nov-13 13:26:28

Keep going Cliff you're a legend m8 smile

SilverApples Mon 18-Nov-13 13:27:12

I can think of a lot of singers under 25 that I'd get rid of first.
I've never been much of a Cliff fan, more the Mick Jagger type, but he still makes a lot of people happy, and he's doing no harm. Let him toddle on.

melika Mon 18-Nov-13 13:29:50

Makes some happy memories for some kids here! What's more cringe worthy, Miley Cyrus twerking with her tongue hanging at a perculiar angle or Cliff. I know I would rather Cliff at least he can sing live too.

I'm not an avid Cliff fan but I don't mind him.

Bluemonkeyspots Mon 18-Nov-13 13:34:32

I would him pretty inoffensive till he told his "Elvis story" on loose women last week.

For those who never seen it, he was asked if he ever met Elvis (his idol) and he said no, he had the chance when Elvis was playing Vegas but because Elvis was fat at the time he wanted to wait until Elvis had slimmed down before getting his picture taken with him. Of course Elvis sadly died so he never got his picture.

I'm a massive Elvis fan so I was pissed enough that anyone would be stupid enough to turn down meeting him due to his weight but cliffs final word on the matter was along the lines of "so if you ever get the chance to meet me please say yes.....even if I am fat" (followed by creepy fake laugh)

He can't honestly believe he is in the same league as Elvis!

SPsIsAgainstCliffism Mon 18-Nov-13 14:09:32

Leave our Cliff alone. He's technically a zombie as he has been alive that long. He still does his nearly smutty calendars at the grand age of 204.

Fuck What Would Jesus Do, question what Cliff would do!

Cliff Richard for Prime Minister!

I'd say King but wouldn't want to spoil you all with his poses put on money

KellyElly Mon 18-Nov-13 14:26:02

yep, along with Paul McCartney.

Mintyy Mon 18-Nov-13 14:28:23

yes and Rod Stewart too, ffs.

EldritchCleavage Mon 18-Nov-13 14:36:52

He's still got a voice though, which is more than anyone can say for Paul McCartney. Or Tom Jones.

LaRegina Mon 18-Nov-13 14:45:34

Leave Cliff alone!

I love all his Christmas efforts. Some of them may be crap but they make me feel very Christmassy!

And actually I heard some of his 70/80's stuff in a bit of a montage on Radio 2 the other morning - and I was surprised by how much I actually enjoyed them. Am considering downloading some but am a bit scared that DH may tell people grin

LaRegina Mon 18-Nov-13 14:46:52

Having said that, Paul McCartney can fuck right off with his wobbly wobbly head. Rod Stewart is full of shit. And Mick Jagger looks scary (and always did).

HoneyDragon Mon 18-Nov-13 15:10:18

I'm always up for a bit of McCartney bashing if taya on the cards? <<hopeful>>

paulagil Mon 18-Nov-13 16:57:24

ROFL, I love you all!! smile smile smile

Darkesteyes Mon 18-Nov-13 17:25:53

Bluemonkey Your post shows that hes a shallow bastard as well as a creep My mum loves him

WoollyNortherner Mon 18-Nov-13 17:31:39

I think he should be left to his Cliffing because he only shows up at Xmas and then he buggers off for another year.

He's not really doing any harm, is he?

LetZygonsbeZygons Mon 18-Nov-13 17:32:27

Cliff can still sing loud and proud. no tweaking with his voice (Cheryl), no twerking (miley) although his ';moves' are a bit meh.

no offensive videos/lyrics.

Maccas( and I say this as a mahoosive Mac fan) is finished vocally, but cliffs still got it.

so another one with SP and all the other fans here! (im not really a fan as such, ive never ever found him attractive but hes a legend in all the right ways.)

ArtisanLentilWeaver Mon 18-Nov-13 17:39:53

Plus points for Cliff being trundled out at Christmas - he is the only one who remembers that it is the Baby Jesus's birthday.

Minus points - he is going to have to retire stop at some point or we will be eyeing that syrup for the next ten years.
And he does not need the money.

CiderBomb Mon 18-Nov-13 17:41:39

Blue monkey he really does think that he's in Elvis league, I also once heard him claiming that John Lennon apparently said, "before me and The Shadows there was nothing". Funny there's no record of that anywhere, John did however very famously say "before Elvis there was nothing".

Deluded old sod.

HairyGrotter Mon 18-Nov-13 17:43:56

He makes me want to kick puppies, can't stand the dick. Also, Jagger can suck a fat one, and take Paul, Rod and Tom with him as well. And, just for good measure, take Brucie too. Mangy mutts the lot of 'em

ppeatfruit Mon 18-Nov-13 17:46:50

What's wrong with growing old gracefully? Is he poor does he NEED the money from all those records he keeps churning out? He can't sing like he did he should chill at home in his onesie and a hot water bottle IMVHO grin

I'm an old gimmer and I fancied him when I was 9 but grew out of him very fast he was a fake, english version of Elvis (i didn't like Elvis though) <ducks flames>

This thread is a bit like my MiLs kitchen - scary.
Every time you open a cupboard door, there's a picture of Cliff taped to the inside. Puts me right off making a cup of tea.

EatingAllTheCrumpets Mon 18-Nov-13 17:56:51

Never!

Cliff needs to keep on going forever. When I have children they WILL be Cliffers just like me

NewtRipley Mon 18-Nov-13 17:59:28

Oh Cliff

This is worse close up. He needs, respectfully, to let his hair go a bit salt-and-pepper. He would look much better.

NewtRipley Mon 18-Nov-13 18:03:02

Morgause:

My favourite line ever:

Chritstmas Time
Mistletoe and wine
Children singing Christian Rhyme

Christian Rhyme??? Made up words!!!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now