to want to have another child with him?

(40 Posts)
mumToOne33 Mon 18-Nov-13 08:48:21

My ex and I split up a few months ago, we had been arguing a lot and basically he's older than me and a confirmed bachelor - he didn't want family life anymore (though he loves our 2yo dd).

I'm working part time, have my own home and am self sufficient financially - dd and I are not wealthy but are comfortable, which I'm happy about (ex pays some child support too, we agreed it amicably without needing CSA).

The thing is, dd was a long awaited baby through IVF. She is my world. At the time of her conception we were lucky enough to get three additional embryos which were preserved for us to use in future years. Ex has said that he is happy for me to use them as a single parent, so dd would have a sibling. As I mentioned, ex is older than me and is very unlikely to have more children, I suspect he'll stay a bachelor tbh. I'd love more children and always wanted to use the embryos. I'm 33 so not that young in fertility terms. Aibu to have another child with ex? If anyone doesn't agree with IVF please don't write malicious comments :-(

sandfrog Mon 18-Nov-13 09:57:39

YANBU

Stellapourmoi Mon 18-Nov-13 10:21:49

How lovely for you to have the option to do this. As long as he is fine about it (I agree with getting this in writing) it should be fine. good luck!!!! X

propertyNIGHTmareBEFOREXMAS Mon 18-Nov-13 10:47:03

Yanbu. Go for it.

mumToOne33 Mon 18-Nov-13 12:26:39

Thanks for your replies! Some very useful thoughts, like getting his agreement in writing...I suspect the easiest way would be for him to be present when embryos would be transferred to me, I'm sure he'd be happy to do that.

I need to discuss in more detail with him the visiting arrangements, he does love dd and I think he'd want the same level of involvement with a second child (he has her every Sunday, when she's older he would like to have her for the full weekend every other week).

I agree that it's odd that a confirmed bachelor agreed toIVF in tgthe first place. Obviously in the ideal world I'd rather be married and having children (though not to a confirmed bachelor). Realistically though, if I met someone and went through the relationship/marriage/having children thing again then I may well be too old once it got to the having children stage (though I know many women are able to conceive when older).

Dilemmas of the modern world :-) thanks again!

oscarwilde Mon 18-Nov-13 13:37:57

Not to rain on your parade, but how would you feel about going it alone it it turned out to be twins? ...........

oscarwilde Mon 18-Nov-13 13:40:30

If it turned out to be twins

bordellosboheme Mon 18-Nov-13 13:45:06

In your shoes, I think I would. Do you have a good support network? Can you afford it maternity leave etc?

OHforDUCKScake Mon 18-Nov-13 13:50:20

This is amusing in a way, as Ive seen threads before suggesting having a baby with an ex in almost identical circumstances less the IVF. And it seemed that nearly all replies were YABU.

Fwiw, I dont think YABU at all. I dont think anyone is being unreasonable having a baby with an ex so long as the circumstances are strong and reliable, whether it be ivf or not.

Hermione123 Mon 18-Nov-13 14:03:48

I think the difference is the level of agreement, if he's really happy then go for it, although you need to be sure of your support network too. It will change your dating options though if you aren't then looking to have more dcs.

Mim78 Mon 18-Nov-13 14:06:13

If he is happy that sounds OK in principle. Best to get it in writing as others have said.

How are you going to cope financially with the extra one? Do you have enough money by yourself or is he going to give you something for the second one?

And I agree with the post that if your ex is keeping in touch with dd he will need to keep in touch with the second one too.

mumToOne33 Mon 18-Nov-13 15:26:19

Oscar - I would only try one embryo at a time, so unlikely to be twins but always a tiny chance the embryo may split and get two babies.

Mim - I can afford to support myself, my dd and the new baby, though child support from ex is helpful, I would need to get this agreed with him.

Ohfor - I was also braced to be told yabu, I thought people may think it was a crazy idea. I think the fact the embryos already exist makes it a very modern dilemma! Of course none of them may be successful.

WaitMonkey Mon 18-Nov-13 16:05:38

I would only do this if he is going to show dc2 the same love, involvement and care he does for dc1. It would be heartbreaking for dc1 to go out with daddy and dc2 to be ignored. Totally depends on what sort of man he is.

x2boys Mon 18-Nov-13 16:12:16

I have literally just finished reading a book about this very concept [Jodie picoult sp?] very interesting book!

harticus Mon 18-Nov-13 16:17:05

Absolutely do it!
I had the same situation - split after DS1 was born but still had embryos on ice. My ex wanted to have another too so there was no problem on that score but unfortunately the frozen ones didn't work.
Best of luck to you.

mumToOne33 Mon 18-Nov-13 17:18:51

Oh that's interesting Harticus! So sorry it didn't work out though. have you stayed at one dc or tried donor sperm or met a new man now? Sorry if that's too personal question blush

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now