to wonder if anyone has an old iphone 4/s they can give to a stranger?

(74 Posts)
SpencerPercival Sun 17-Nov-13 22:12:48
fackinell Sun 17-Nov-13 23:55:37

Why are people picking on Spencer? I think it was a genuine attempt to help someone out.

Unfortunately, if it's ios7 and locked onto 'find my iPhone' there's little that can be done. It's a pisser for the person on the other thread but no need to bash someone for wanting to help. wink

SpencerPercival Mon 18-Nov-13 05:55:42

Christ. Sorry you nest of vipers. Was just hoping.
Felt sorry for the op in other thread.

To me yup iPhone 4 is old. Let's get wound up about that.hmm

claraschu Mon 18-Nov-13 06:52:28

Gosh there are some nasty people on here. OP is trying to do something nice for a stranger who has been shafted. What's wrong with that? She didn't demand anything; she just asked on the off chance.

There are definitely people in this world who have things like extra iphones which they can't be bothered to sell.

TEEurkeyDay Mon 18-Nov-13 06:57:55

No, an iPhone 4 is not old unless you have to have the latest everything.

OP was trying to be nice,though, I'm sure.

tiktok Mon 18-Nov-13 09:22:56

Sorry, Spencer - you posted in AIBU and for that reason I thought your OP was sarky smile

MrsBramleyApple Mon 18-Nov-13 09:31:12

I thought the OP had already been offered one on the original thread............ hmm

SaucyJack Mon 18-Nov-13 09:34:15

Yeah, and if anyone's got two going spare I'll have the other one.

gordyslovesheep Mon 18-Nov-13 09:38:32

It may be old but its a bit rich a. Doing this without asking gossipmonster and b. Expecting someone to hand over something worth over £100 to be honest

gossip I have just posted on your original thread

FutTheShuckUp Mon 18-Nov-13 10:59:00

My iPhone was stolen last December. I had to make do with a new sim in a tocco handset, nobody gave me another one

steppemum Mon 18-Nov-13 11:02:39

Spencer was just trying to be nice. Give her a break.

Gossipmonster Mon 18-Nov-13 16:13:05

It's cool the OP was only trying to be nice.

Thanks and thanks for all the other very kind PMs I have had.

Mumsnet is not a vipers den smile

thanks

Ummm NO

judgejudithjudy Mon 18-Nov-13 18:00:46

cant afford one myself let alone buy someones elses child one!

persimmon Mon 18-Nov-13 18:07:23

I think the OP was just trying to do something nice for someone else, maybe a bit impulsively..? I think it's sweet not grasping.

LEMisafucker Mon 18-Nov-13 18:12:03

I thought someone was giving the OP an iphone anway?

Was definately a lovely thought OP - I certainly have old phones laying around but sadly not an iphone.

LEMisafucker Mon 18-Nov-13 18:14:06

i can totally see why the OP is asking, it may well be that someone has an old phone festering in the drawer somewhere and the OP in the other thread was ripped off horribly and certainly did NOT post asking for a new phone, rather a way to sort out the one she bought.

Wibblypiglikesbananas Mon 18-Nov-13 18:27:46

iPhone 4 is old - still has some retail value but not everything is immediately compatible with it any longer.

I do think the OP was trying to do a nice thing and it's backfired somewhat. For one, my FIL (Inspector Gadget himself) has more than one 'old' iPhone stored away somewhere. He keeps trying to give one to 2yo DD...

Maryz Mon 18-Nov-13 18:33:30

I've just bought a new iPhone 4 for my 15 year old as a Christmas - and it isn't even an unlocked one because I couldn't afford that, so I have to pay a contract.

I have inherited an old iPhone 3 in return.

I wish an iPhone 4 was an "old phone" for me - judging by many of the phones my children's friends have it is old, but not for me.

What has happened on the other thread is really shitty sad and would put me off buying anything second hand ever.

ReluctantBeing Mon 18-Nov-13 18:43:37

I'm shocked at someone asking for an iPhone,even if they have been scammed. If she gets offered a few, each of her kids can have one!

valiumredhead Mon 18-Nov-13 18:48:10

I think the OP was trying to help. I'd love an iPhone, it wouldn't be 'old' to me but I have friends who get frequent updates so I can quite see how some people would think you'd have one lying around.

Maryz Mon 18-Nov-13 18:55:31

No-one has asked for an iPhone for themselves or their children. The op of this thread was trying to help.

And it seems that some people do have iPhones lying around.

Monetbyhimself Mon 18-Nov-13 19:12:19

Strange title for an OP who claims she is trying to help. For a 'stranger' as opposed to 'for a little boy who'll be gutted about his pressie' ?

Not convinced about your motives for starting this thread tbh.

soverylucky Mon 18-Nov-13 19:17:35

my phone is one of those that doesn't even have a camera. you can text people and call people and I can set an alarm on it. I can't even do fancy ring tone things on. I haven't got a clue what 4g means. It is actually funny to me that people would consider an iphone 4 old and worth giving away when according to folk on here they can still fetch a lot of money second hand. some of us live in very different worlds to one another.

valiumredhead Mon 18-Nov-13 19:22:35

The OP links to the original thread which is about a little boy, the OP at no time asked for a phone for herself or asked for the phone to be sent to her.

To imply the OP is trying to scam people is horrible, if you really believe that then report to mnhq.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now