Pre-chopped onions. In a bag. Am I alone in this?

(175 Posts)
Wuldric Sun 17-Nov-13 18:25:35

I am prepared to be told that this is my own dirty little secret but still. Pre-chopped onions. Who would not buy?

<awaits flaming - for of course most onions are available unchopped for around 1p>

Still pretty good value. I hate skinning the buggers and chopping them makes me cry. Pre-chopped onions are the way forward!

KatyMac Sun 17-Nov-13 18:27:14

Best idea since sliced bread!

I mean I still buy unsliced bread (& unchopped onions) but they do make life easier

StickEmUpSkyward Sun 17-Nov-13 18:27:59

I agree. Why not?

toffeesponge Sun 17-Nov-13 18:27:59

I buy pre-chopped frozen onions. Purely because I either didn't have any, had too many or they had gone off when I needed one. I think I pay a pound a bag.

Icepilot Sun 17-Nov-13 18:28:11

Oh good. I thought this was going to be the opposite point of view, and I was going to barge in and defend them.

They're great. I didn't know about them until DP introduced them to me. I'm quite the convert now.

monicalewinski Sun 17-Nov-13 18:28:23

You are not alone.

I buy my onions chopped, my cheese grated and my lettuce shredded. I have also been known to but my apples sliced.

I am v v lazy when it comes to food prep!

Oh why not buy them.

And can I also be the first to mention my arthritic 88yo grandmother who wouldn't be able to cook without this kind of help.

ilovesooty Sun 17-Nov-13 18:30:10

I agree!

HicDraconis Sun 17-Nov-13 18:31:13

I buy unchopped onions. Different meals call for different chopping sizes (fine - coarse - slices - rings). Plus it takes less than a minute to chop one, the chickens get the peel & ends so none wasted and it's so much cheaper!

Hold a teaspoon upside down in your mouth while you chop them and you don't cry smile

lotsofcheese Sun 17-Nov-13 18:31:50

I buy them frozen too. Plus frozen chopped spinach, frozen stew/soup veg.

A time-saving essential :-)

fanjofarrow Sun 17-Nov-13 18:31:57

My fella is the chef in our house (thank God.) He reckons the skin keeps the onion fresh and therefore he wouldn't buy chopped onion. confused

Lucky that I'm not the chef in our house - I'm a lazy fucker and HATE chopping onions, or anything else for that matter.

ruddynorah Sun 17-Nov-13 18:32:19

I buy them. And peppers. And mushrooms. My gran used to buy fresh, then chop all veg and freeze it. No different, just a little more to pay.

HettiePetal Sun 17-Nov-13 18:32:32

I can beat that.

I buy mine chopped - and frozen.

blush

Handbagsonnhold Sun 17-Nov-13 18:32:38

Fab along with my ready chopped butternut squash and ready grated cheese....

ModreB Sun 17-Nov-13 18:33:42

I'm with you. Best thing ever grin

WallyBantersJunkBox Sun 17-Nov-13 18:34:21

I buy unchopped - I like chopping them and I don't cry.

Just leave the hairy end on whilst chopping because that's where the chemical is.

I find frozen too tasteless and react a bit to whatever gas they put in bagged fresh foods. sad

ChessieFL Sun 17-Nov-13 18:34:53

I agree, I'm gutted I didn't discover them sooner!

IslaValargeone Sun 17-Nov-13 18:35:00

I have recently started to buy them chopped after getting fed up of chopping into an onion and finding it to be rotten inside.
I can't see myself buying ready grated cheese though, or, God forbid ready mashed potato.

Fluffycloudland77 Sun 17-Nov-13 18:35:03

I chop my own and freeze them. £1.99 lasts me all year.

I do carrots and celery too, instant soup base.

TidyDancer Sun 17-Nov-13 18:35:20

I don't buy them chopped because I tend to take an extra layer off them than most people do and they wouldn't do that with the chopped ones.

But in principle I would buy pretty much anything prepared if I could. Yes to the cheese and lettuce. I am a lazy cook.

missmarplestmarymead Sun 17-Nov-13 18:36:41

Chopping a butternut squash can take your finger off so I would always buy them pre-prepared. Onions too!

LuciusMalfoyisSmokingHot Sun 17-Nov-13 18:37:18

Omg i need these, i really struggle with cutting the bloody things.

SmiteYouWithThunderbolts Sun 17-Nov-13 18:37:18

Frozen chopped mushrooms, peppers and onions are a must in my freezer. For most meals I usually buy fresh unchopped because they do taste a bit nicer, but the frozen ones are amazing for emergency "I cannot be bothered to cook tonight" type meals.

xCupidStuntx Sun 17-Nov-13 18:37:35

I buy pre chopped butternut squash, I'd be so up for chopped onions too! Mine always end up tiny like Russian dolls!!

QOD Sun 17-Nov-13 18:39:14

I buy value grated cheese and value sliced cheese for dd and dh packed lunches. The cost is covered by lack of waste

I like proper expensive strong cheese

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now