Please can you help? Been ripped off with DS Christmas Gift.

(112 Posts)
Gossipmonster Sun 17-Nov-13 17:02:16

Last resort is to ask here dear Mumsnetters.

Can anyone offer me some advice please?

OH bought DS an iphone 4S from Gumtree yesterday for £140 for Christmas. We could not afford to buy him a brand new one.

It has been updated to ios 7 and restored to factory settings. Problem is that it is already linked to an apple account. Person we bought it from is refusing to communicate with us and seems unable to remove the device from the iTunes account. Meaning it is useless and the money I had put by for DS present has gone sad We have 5 other kids to buy for.

I have contacted the police who were really helpful and say it is not registered as stolen but was checked a few months ago at a cash converters suggesting the person we bought it from has experienced the same issues and just passed it on to us.

Police have suggested contacting Apple (which we did yesterday and then can't help) or taking it to a phone unlocking shop. We have reported the seller to Gumtree but that is not going to get us a refund.

Does anyone have any experience of this and know of any solutions?

TIA

Could you go to an Apple Store and pretend that you forgot the log in details and ask them to send them to the phone? If you had the phone then hopefully they will believe you

Shlurpbop Sun 17-Nov-13 18:26:35

Ooh love a happy ending smile

MaidOfStars Sun 17-Nov-13 19:33:02

Unless the seller agrees to remove it from their iTunes account (if it was ever registered with them in the first place), it is nothing more than an expensive brick. There is literally nothing you can do. Apple will not help, nor can any phone unlocking shop type person. I don't see how you can jailbreak it either (even if a hack was available), because you can't access it.

If you bought yesterday, how did you get the device by today? If you collected, don't you have an address?

Gossipmonster Sun 17-Nov-13 19:37:06

We were going to collect it but the time wasn't convenient so he offered to drop it off hmm

MaidOfStars Sun 17-Nov-13 19:46:13

Sorry Gossip, you're going to have to write it off.

Advice from Apple is that nobody should ever hand money over for an iPhone/iPad/etc without first checking that they can access the device. Before iOS7, this wasn't an issue. But now there are people who bought an iPhone last year (or longer), all accessible and working properly, recently updating to iOS7 and BOOM, locked out, requiring previous owner's email and password to get back into a phone they've been using for months/years.

Apple are utterly obstinate on any action. This is a security measure that (apparently) reduces iDevice theft, so they are sticking with it, no workaround yet (which doesn't mean there won't ever be one).

Gossipmonster Sun 17-Nov-13 19:58:40

Is very harsh - you'd think Apple would have a way of resetting it.

So pissed off sad

FortyDoorsToNowhere Sun 17-Nov-13 20:07:22

sell it.

www.sellmymobile.com/phone/apple-iphone-4s-16gb/

you can get around £70ish back. It's better than nothing

FortyDoorsToNowhere Sun 17-Nov-13 20:14:43
MrsSpencerReid Sun 17-Nov-13 20:19:03

I had no idea this happened with ios7! Really hope you manage to sort something op

BillyBanter Sun 17-Nov-13 20:22:56

Absolutely ridiculous that Apple can't break the link between a phone and an account.

SoupDragon Sun 17-Nov-13 20:26:03

They don't know it isn't stolen.

Truelove2010 Sun 17-Nov-13 20:31:45

I just recently swapped iPhones with my partner iPhone 4S updates to iOS 7 what I did was go into settings then reset there is a few options if u choose erase all content and settings to takes everything of the phone when u switch it back on it will ask for Apple ID I logged in with mine and everything is fine I done it on Friday.

Truelove2010 Sun 17-Nov-13 20:32:32

Sorry about spelling trying to settle toddler

softlysoftly Sun 17-Nov-13 20:40:06

Can you buy stuff on the account? But a shed load of movies onto their credit card and they will delete it fast enough.

ICameOnTheJitney Sun 17-Nov-13 21:31:41

Softly it's likely that the man who sold it to them stole it from someone else or at least bought it from someone who did...that wouldn't be on.

Wishfulmakeupping Sun 17-Nov-13 21:34:32

Teresa how lovely that's the Xmas spirit smile

Caitlin17 Sun 17-Nov-13 21:39:34

TrueLove I think that will work. I borrowed an iPhone 4 to see what it was like and to be able to get on to the Apple store and use it had to create an Apple account. (Didn't in the end switch from Android)

slidingtoomanydoors Sun 17-Nov-13 21:43:41

For anyone else looking to get second hand iPhones this place does recondition phones. My DH has had two from here (due to screen smashing!) Last one was £120 for a iPhone 4 and is in really good condition. All come with guarantees etc.
www.smartfonestore.com/

So sorry about the phone you bought OP but is a good warning to others with the now iOS has those security features x

slidingtoomanydoors Sun 17-Nov-13 21:44:24

Arrrgghh too many typos to correct but you get the drift!

Gossipmonster Sun 17-Nov-13 21:46:12

Can't buy anything as need the Apple user name and password to complete set up.

Is ridiculous that you can't break the link and I hope does serve as a warning to others.

I have sent a text to the guy telling him what I think.

NachoAddict Sun 17-Nov-13 21:55:05

Can you set up an apple account and use that apple id and password? Sorry that is probably too simple.

The original owner might have died, moved to Android, anything. If the phone hasn't been reported stolen then Apple really ought to fix this, given a reasonable period after it first being checked.

I really do dislike Apple as a firm. They used to be cool (in about 1996) even though they insisted on making their users buy all their peripherals from them for several times the cost of others. But now they're one of the worst tech companies for general arrogance and piss taking.

softlysoftly Sun 17-Nov-13 22:00:14

Can you go yk to a physical Apple shop taking yhe police proof that it isn't stolen with you. They tend to be a bit more helpful and human than on the phone.

DrinkFeckArseGirls Sun 17-Nov-13 22:05:35

What happens of you put in your own iTunes login and password?

Gossipmonster Sun 17-Nov-13 22:07:06

Doesn't work sad

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now