...to want to forcibly correct station announcers' pronunciation?

(40 Posts)
Financeprincess Sun 17-Nov-13 14:12:41

The large station to which I commute has taken to making regular announcements, advising customers not to take big cases onto the "eskewlators".

I think you'll find that you meant escalators.

AIBU to be driven insane by this? The announcements at this station have also featured "sickth" (sixth) and "illuminous" (luminous).

AIBU to be driven insane with irritation? I suspect that I already know the answer...

BelleOfTheBorstal Sun 17-Nov-13 15:28:20

<is now worrying fellow train passengers by muttering six-th under her breath repeatedly>

nennypops Sun 17-Nov-13 15:32:36

Nucular, ffs. How hard can it be to say "nuclear? Presumably they can say "new clear" if asked?

Also, Jeremy Paxman, who in all other contexts is a national treasure, saying "meatryologists" for "meteorologists".

DeepThought Sun 17-Nov-13 15:36:12

Belle careful otherwise you'll get a tired tongue and that ain't good grin

NoComet Sun 17-Nov-13 15:46:19

NewStreet in Birmingham needed a Welsh announcer.

The evening train that split in two and stopped at every single North Welsh station was a joy, the poor announcer always got in a mess.

MrsRBrand Sun 17-Nov-13 16:35:14

My fave was when they said; "we are now arriving at London St Pancreas!"

Euphemia Sun 17-Nov-13 17:05:36

I was shouting at the TV this week when news reporters were talking about Debenhams' "mannie-kwins". angry They're "mannie-kins"!!!

dementedma Sun 17-Nov-13 17:35:29

Sic-th drives me insane!
I am driven to screaming ITS SIXTH at the TV!

HellonHeels Sun 17-Nov-13 17:56:33

I recall an uber-cockney District line tube driver who would announce

"All stations to Up-minister"* I loved him for it!

*station name is Upminster.

Financeprincess Sun 17-Nov-13 18:32:17

I've heard St Pancreas before. Made my day!

I'm loath to criticise anybody for mispronouncing place names though. I never got to grips with Llanfairfechan.

ICameOnTheJitney Sun 17-Nov-13 18:35:53

Lol...I live near Wales and the announcers NEVER get the Welsh place names right...."This train is calling at LAN DUDNOR" when they mean Llandudno...it's like she's tried for the correct Welsh way and it comes out all mangled.

Vicki1972 Sun 17-Nov-13 18:41:30

YANBU. It is completely unasseptable. wink

NoComet Mon 18-Nov-13 02:06:21

Mac-en-lith for Machynlleth cracked me up every time.

Xochiquetzal Mon 18-Nov-13 02:22:58

escalators and sixth I can live with, place names annoy the hell out of me.

Where I live there are a couple of places with similarly spelled names and the trains never get the pronunciations around the right way!

Starball, Jitney a lot of the Welsh ones make me crack up grin

Abewistwith - Aberystwyth
Clan-dud-no - Llandudno
Penny-chain - Penychain
Betsy co-ed - Betws-Y-Coed

I once heard Pwllheli pronounced as pully-woolly-helly, and Prestatyn as "press-that-in" hmm

Although I also laughed a lot when my very Welsh boyfriend went to Birmingham with me on the train and pronounced 'Smethwick' the way it's spelled... with emphasis on the "w". And Wednesbury as Wed-nes-bury.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now