...to want to forcibly correct station announcers' pronunciation?

(40 Posts)
Financeprincess Sun 17-Nov-13 14:12:41

The large station to which I commute has taken to making regular announcements, advising customers not to take big cases onto the "eskewlators".

I think you'll find that you meant escalators.

AIBU to be driven insane by this? The announcements at this station have also featured "sickth" (sixth) and "illuminous" (luminous).

AIBU to be driven insane with irritation? I suspect that I already know the answer...

MMcanny Sun 17-Nov-13 14:14:39

They might be doing it for a larf, or because they have a speech impediment? Write an angry letter (name and address withheld of course you don't want all the station staff coming by to look at the loon).

paxtecum Sun 17-Nov-13 14:24:14

YABU.

Life would be exceedingly boring if we all spoke Queen's English.
Diversity is good.

Hawkmoon269 Sun 17-Nov-13 14:28:38

When people "arx" questions. It's ASK! ASK!

Dawndonnaagain Sun 17-Nov-13 14:29:33

I cannot say sixth. I would love to, just am unable to do so. Unfortunate really, because it's my birth date.

JoinYourPlayfellows Sun 17-Nov-13 14:30:49

But if they stopped "mispronouncing" these words, then you'd lose valuable input to your superiority complex.

ShatterResistant Sun 17-Nov-13 14:31:41

Do you hate it when they split infinitives too?

Financeprincess Sun 17-Nov-13 14:34:21

I certainly do!!

Financeprincess Sun 17-Nov-13 14:34:42

...and yes, I got the irony.

AlwaysInBed Sun 17-Nov-13 14:35:13

Ok.

DeepThought Sun 17-Nov-13 14:35:19

how do you prn sixth if not 'sickth'?

DeepThought Sun 17-Nov-13 14:36:01

oh hang on

six-th

sick-th

it's HARD to hear the diff innit

DeepThought Sun 17-Nov-13 14:36:38

<puts teef back in>

JoinYourPlayfellows Sun 17-Nov-13 14:36:56

"it's HARD to hear the diff innit"

Not really.

I struggle with "escalators".. don't know why. I've always called them eskliators instead... again, not sure how they ended up being eskliators, they just are.

DeepThought Sun 17-Nov-13 14:39:08

when you elide words, I mean

I guess I ain't no Juliet Stevenson ho hum

ShatterResistant Sun 17-Nov-13 14:41:08

grin OP.

JoinYourPlayfellows Sun 17-Nov-13 14:42:12

I would have thought that sick-th and six-th were both standard pronunciations.

To me sick-th is a very English thing to say.

I don't say it, but it does make sense to shorting the x sound when it is followed by a th.

I've always thought it was quite elegant.

DeepThought Sun 17-Nov-13 14:46:15

I don't know, I've boggled my mouth, it's gone all confused oh dear

Like when you try to say Peter Piper Picked A Peck blah blah and it turns into stumble stumble spray blush get me coat.

JoinYourPlayfellows Sun 17-Nov-13 14:47:54

grin

I love a good tongue twister, me smile

Interesting.

Train stations for British workers only, or you will be forced to undertake elocution classes, paid for by commuters through increased ticket prices.

I want elocution classes, think I should apply for a job at my local train station! grin

AlwaysInBed Sun 17-Nov-13 14:53:51

I can't really get my mouth around sickth. But then I say ff for th (I really tried hard to say th but it doesn't seem to get out of my mouth) so it's more sickff.

HoratiaDrelincourt Sun 17-Nov-13 15:12:37

Ah, I thought you meant when they mispronounce station names (happens frequently on our back-of-beyond rural route). That is annoying.

Also annoying is the trick they've acquired from weather forecasters of stressing the wrong word IN a sentence, typically prepositions. "The train now arriving ON platform six is the 9.22 from London Euston". Only they keep you on your toes by using inappropriate prepositions too - "please keep hold OF your belongings whilst ON the station." angry

DeepThought Sun 17-Nov-13 15:23:13

oh GAWD yes to mis-stressors*, so annoying grrrr.

*This is a made-up word

NewtRipley Sun 17-Nov-13 15:26:29

Complain. Go newckiller at them .

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now