to fund raise for something I need

(72 Posts)
tolittletoolate Sun 17-Nov-13 13:21:49

I'm disabled and use a wheelchair all the time. We live in an area with loads of cycle paths and my dh and dd both have bikes and go out cycling together. I would love to join them but hand cycles for disabled people are hideously expensive.
The other day I thought that if my dh did something to raise money to buy one for me (he is an ultra runner) then people could donate towards it and maybe then I could get one. It would make a huge difference to my life and also enable me to exercise.
Is it a good idea or a bit cheeky?

tolittletoolate Sat 14-Dec-13 17:22:10

Just a little update, I had a go of a handcycle last week and it was awesome although very hard work!
My dh has said that next year we will sort something out and try and buy one, I've found a really good one that's £900 new or they sometimes crop up on ebay for around £250 ish.
I'm so pleased and can't wait to go out on lovely long cycle rides with my family in the summer smile

UniS Tue 19-Nov-13 22:25:35

I think my google search pattern is optimised for cycling these days!

tolittletoolate Tue 19-Nov-13 22:07:50

wow they look awesome and in MK too! I'm very impressed that you found them I've been googling all afternoon and not found anything grin

UniS Tue 19-Nov-13 20:55:21

www.moltenrock.co.uk/wp/?page_id=16 are near you, do they do deno days with the stricker handcycle? tho it may be frustrating to fall in love with an expensive machine.

tolittletoolate Tue 19-Nov-13 13:45:02

UniS Thanks for the link, that is a brilliant idea. I will have a look and see if there is similar around here. I live in Milton Keynes so there are all the redways but it's not touristy as such. smile

IAlwaysThought Mon 18-Nov-13 21:44:43

I would prefer to give money to a charitable organization than to an individual. I am not a fan of sponsoring people to do things. Especially, when the activities are recreational ones.

I like to give to charities and I make a point of giving to charities which elicit less public sympathy than others IYSWIM smile

I also like to give to charities that take advantage of gift aid.
I wouldn't mind being asked as long as it was polite and non pushy (which I am sure it wouldn't be) but it's not usually the type of thing I would donate to.

Another thing that would make a difference is whether I thought your DH was spending a lot on his ultra running. For example, if he was flying somewhere to do the run and spending money on hotels and entry fees then I would be thinking that he could save money by not going. confused

Anyway, good luck and I hope you get your bike.

justmyview Mon 18-Nov-13 21:32:12

This is an interesting thread. My initial reaction is that I'm a little uncomfortable with someone fundraising on their own behalf. Then I wonder why that is? To give OP £20 and know it'll be used directly for the purpose I wanted to support is in every way preferable to donating to a charity and hoping that some of it finds its way to the people in need, after hefty London rents and salaries have been paid.

NotMeNotYouNotAnyone Mon 18-Nov-13 21:29:33

It's not like raising money for a holiday or something. Your disability means a suitable bike is far more expensive than if you weren't.

As long as you're upfront about it then I wouldn't see a problem. If people are a but funny with you maybe consider splitting the money with a relevant charity

UniS Mon 18-Nov-13 21:26:57

I would chip in a modest amount for someone to get a hand cycle. if enough people chip in a little you can achieve it. It may come easier if its someone else doing the asking on your behalf.

so your mate Angela mentions it at her aerobics class and has a whip round, your mate belinda talks to her belly dance group about it and they have a whip round and your hubbys mate clarice talks about it to her breeze cycling ladies and they chip in a bit. no one person is putting in more than a pound or so but 50 quid rolls in.

Out of curiosity, do any of the bike hire centres near you ( assuming your network of cycle paths is in a touristy place) have hand cycle in their stock? Nearish to me this lot do.

cantsleep Mon 18-Nov-13 21:18:38

We are currently fundraising for medical equipment for dd2. It is hard work but will be worth it. We have been in touch with local paper,charities etc.

YANBU at all, I hope you reach your target thanks

SomethingOnce Mon 18-Nov-13 20:46:48

Could you get together with somebody who could use a similar piece of kit for a timeshare-type arrangement, and halve the cost?

KeatsiePie Mon 18-Nov-13 15:55:59

I would think so! 100 miles sounds impressive to me (though I don't know a thing about it). Maybe a Kickstarter campaign?

tolittletoolate Mon 18-Nov-13 15:51:27

Thanks again everyone, I don't have a clue where to start! Anyone ever done something like this before?

Just had a thought but my dh is entered into a 100 mile race next year, is that extreme enough to ask people for sponsorship?

KeatsiePie Mon 18-Nov-13 15:28:37

I think it is a great idea. Of course you would say it is for you, and I imagine people who know you will want to contribute. I would. I hope it works really well!

tolittletoolate Mon 18-Nov-13 15:00:46

Lilacroses out of interest did your friends recover from GBS?

It's in the news a lot because people get it and then recover and go and do something amazing like climb Kilimanjaro! Good for them but a lot of people like me don't actually recover and are left paralysed.

Why not aim to fundraise for say three bikes and make it clear one will be for you so you can continue to cycle and raise funds for more?
You then donate the other two to a charity or someone who needs them.
Ok £12k is a lot to raise but like others said if you approached somewhere like halfords and got lots of press/sponsorship/twitter support it could be done.
Good luck!

SilverApples Mon 18-Nov-13 12:10:27

I don't contribute to fundraising if I don't agree with the logic of it, so I don't see how the OP's idea is a problem. People that disagree won't support her.
People that think it's a great idea will.

SilverApples Mon 18-Nov-13 12:08:01

I agree with lougle, if people know what they are donating or sponsoring for, then there isn't a problem.
I taught an adorable 6 year old boy with a wicked sense of mischief who was born without lower limbs. We fundraised for an adapted bike he could use. He's now 27, and probably a lot less cute and giggly. I hope he has a bike that fits him,

CocacolaMum Mon 18-Nov-13 11:58:52

Its not for a holiday though is it? Its so that OP can take part in a family activity which would be accessible for any able bodied parent no question. Not the same at all in my opinion.

Find out whether there is a charity which would act as an umbrella to help bump the amounts you raise.

Faverolles, I don't get any benefits due to my residency status. I don't get a mobility pass on the underground and it surprises the staff that I have to swipe an oyster card....

I do a lot of charity work and take a lot of videos/pictures. I lived in Asia for 7 years and people thought I was traveling because I "was staying in a hotel." A backpackers room is not the Shard! There are no apartments for rent in the area, only houses and prices are high because landlords need permits to rent to foreigners.

Not to mention that many expats get rats/snakes/floods/burglers in their house. Not for me.

I have to buy everything. My glasses are $$$ and have to be ordered in the US, last time I needed a new pair, I had to pay $120 in import tax. People like to look at and touch my cane, glasses etc and things break....

People don't realise what my life is like. I have to make videos grin

Lilacroses Mon 18-Nov-13 11:27:54

Op, I have 2 friends who had Guillan Barre too so understand a little bit. I think your idea is great and I for one would be very happy to contribute to something like this, in fact I would love to. If you do it please post a link to your fundraising page if that is allowed.

Give Forward

Just found this. smile

Faverolles Mon 18-Nov-13 11:15:40

Fundraising for yourself is fine.
I'm involved with fundraising for a little girl in my village. Everyone assumes that the government/NHS hands out everything you need, when the amount they give often doesn't even cover the basics.
As soon as the word disabled is mentioned, prices of things shoot up, which means that things that able bodied people take for granted are quite often out of reach of someone disabled - adult or child, and the only way to get these things is to fundraise.
Go for it. Good luck thanks

Little, I just PM'd you. smile

Do you have a blog? You could start one (and even raise awareness at the same time) youtube videos, facebook

Toolittle, I understand you completely.

Someone mentioned saving for a car and I was trying to explain that people with disabilities need certain things to have a better quality of life.

In your case a motability car and your cycle. In mine, my cane, reading glasses and my reading machine

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now