To point out that it's PACKED lunch and not PACK lunch?

(256 Posts)
ICameOnTheJitney Sun 17-Nov-13 10:06:09

I keep seeing threads on here where people say "Pack lunch" I KNOW this belongs in Pedant's Corner but hey...only people who already know will see it then! grin

I also get irritated by "mash potato"....it's "MASHED potato" ffs.

SconeRhymesWithGone Sun 17-Nov-13 19:27:53

I mean one day it may become a closed compound word.

SconeRhymesWithGone Sun 17-Nov-13 19:21:58

Yes, backpack is a closed compound word; you can make the argument that pack lunch is an open compound word or is in the process of becoming one. Then one day it may become compound: packlunch. wink

SPsDoesntLikeChaffingFishnets Sun 17-Nov-13 18:13:56

grin

Tee2072 Sun 17-Nov-13 18:13:33

You can, however, pack your back in, if you put too many items in your backpack.

grin

jacks365 Sun 17-Nov-13 18:13:19

Sharp lilly hence the reversal of the order but the term for the carrier is a pack so your lunch is carried in a pack or you can carry a pack on your back.

SharpLily Sun 17-Nov-13 18:10:12

Pack lunch is historically correct and not a grammatical error it was a lunch that was carried in a pack. Same place the term backpack comes from.

Not the same thing at all - you don't carry your back in a pack. It's a pack you carry on your back. You can pack a lunch, you don't pack your back.

sandfrog Sun 17-Nov-13 17:58:03

It's Pedants' corner, not Pedant's corner wink

SconeRhymesWithGone Sun 17-Nov-13 17:57:12

jacks365 That's interesting; in my part of the US, it is often called a sack lunch or a bag lunch, nouns modifying nouns.

jacks365 Sun 17-Nov-13 17:50:05

Pack lunch is historically correct and not a grammatical error it was a lunch that was carried in a pack. Same place the term backpack comes from.

You can have pack lunch which is noun + noun or you can have packed lunch adjective + noun

You can have mash as a noun in its own right or you can have mashed potatoes but I agree that mash potatoes is wrong.

I don't use texted as it just never quite feels right and a bit clumsy and awkward so always reword the sentence to avoid it so for example use I sent a text yesterday.

ElkTheory Sun 17-Nov-13 17:38:55

I think the issue with the word text is that for some people it sounds like one of the many one syllable verbs that are also one syllable in the past tense (cross--crossed, toss--tossed, etc.). So for those people, "text" sounds like a past tense form and "texted" sounds as wrong as "crosseded" would.

Now I would say that the rules of regular conjugation should apply if we accept text as a verb (and I'm not sure I'm willing to do that yet. . . wink). So "texted" would be the standard past tense. But I don't think people use the past tense "text" out of laziness. It's more about language perception and intuition.

SPsDoesntLikeChaffingFishnets Sun 17-Nov-13 17:27:06

Well it is here anyway grin No idea where it comes from

Tee2072 Sun 17-Nov-13 17:25:55

Okay

SPsDoesntLikeChaffingFishnets Sun 17-Nov-13 17:24:12

Napper is head.

As in 'ya doing ma napper in'

Tee2072 Sun 17-Nov-13 17:17:21

What's a napper?

intitgrand Sun 17-Nov-13 17:14:38

YANBU Pack lunch does my napper in too!

cantbelievemyeyes Sun 17-Nov-13 17:11:02

I'm surprised that with all this talk of 'pack lunch', no one has brought up the 'hamwidge' thread. Now, whenever I make DH his packed lunch, I see only 'hamwidges', 'cheesewidges' and porkandstuffingwidges'.

Tee2072 Sun 17-Nov-13 16:53:42

That I wouldn't know as we do not have OFSTED in Northern Ireland.

PerpendicularVince Sun 17-Nov-13 16:53:12

SP it sounds like i'm from very near you.

I still say packed though grin

ReluctantBeing Sun 17-Nov-13 16:27:41

That just about sums up ofsted!

Tee2072 Sun 17-Nov-13 16:12:07
AlwaysInBed Sun 17-Nov-13 16:06:32

Sandiacre

The kids in my area speak MLE (so fam etc;) and they're told off for using it. I think in our area, because a lot of kids outside where we live, use it to seem cool, it's got a bad rep and isn't seen as a dialect/local slang. I think making sure pupils use standard English words for formal stuff is okay, but banning slang is wrong.

SPsDoesntLikeChaffingFishnets Sun 17-Nov-13 15:56:44

The fact**

Tee2072 Sun 17-Nov-13 15:53:57

It's not obvious to me. I must be fick.*

*Yes. Now I'm just fucking with you. Or maybe I've been fucking with you this whole time. Hard to tell.

SPsDoesntLikeChaffingFishnets Sun 17-Nov-13 15:47:49

Really, SP? Or are they just gently mocking you in their heads? Who said I wrote anything mock worthy? Are you saying I am grammatically challenged? shock

I ain't at all, I shunt have to stand for this.

grin

The face I say them doesn't mean I spell like that. Thought it was pretty obvious.

Sandiacre Sun 17-Nov-13 15:42:36

How do people feel about local dialect and slang being banned?

An article from the BBC about a school who have banned Black Country slang.

www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-birmingham-24967032

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now