My designer washing up bowl is ruined! (sort of lighthearted)

(172 Posts)
HorsePetal Fri 15-Nov-13 10:54:57

Ok so I'm aware that this is hardly important in the grand scheme of things but last Saturday I went out for lunch/shopping with an old school friend.

We were in the Cotswolds and I clearly thought I was a lot posher than I actually am because I decided to spend just shy of £60 on a Normann Copenhagen Washing Up Bowl (I know!)

So I have been admiring it all week and will admit that washing up has been a bit more pleasurable hmm until last night when I decided to soak a baking dish in it overnight (baked on pasta sauce).

This morning is it RUINED with a big bloody orange tide mark all around the rim which won't budge.

Should I take it back? I'm going to look like a fool aren't I? They are going to know that I am not really worthy of a posh washing up bowl (do posh people even eat Spaghetti Bolognese?).

Do you think they will refund (as not fit for posh purpose or something?)

HyvaPaiva Fri 15-Nov-13 11:44:31

It's still fit for purpose, it's just stained, so there's nothing you could do. Would you take back a £1.99 washing bowl if it got stained? I'm guessing not because it shouldn't matter, it still does the job. The fact that it cost £60 is irrelevant given that it doesn't do anything special. It doesn't make it 'stainless'. Sorry OP. I love Normann products that are innovative and useful, but the washing-up bowl isn't any different to cheap ones.

HorsePetal Fri 15-Nov-13 11:45:03

dexter73 I was thinking the same thing - i.e. it still functions as a washing up bowl after all but maybe would have a case on the basis that it is sold based on how it looks and not on what it does (not sure if this makes sense).

I'm a sodding fool!

So if I take it back and they ask what I had soaked in it, I can't admit to Spag Bol so what shall I say - I need a posh alternative sad

HorsePetal Fri 15-Nov-13 11:46:07

Norman with 2 'ns' grin

HorsePetal Fri 15-Nov-13 11:47:14

flagginmolly are you my mother???

Selks Fri 15-Nov-13 11:49:07

I suspect the OP knows she has been suckered somewhat. What is probably doubly galling is to know one has been suckered only for the product to turn out to be useless. So I sympathise with the OP. I'm sure most of us have bought things on a whim occasionally.

Blithereens Fri 15-Nov-13 11:50:16

Have you tried Magic Erasers or Barkeeper's Friend? They can be great for removing stubborn marks from plastic.

Now I've been helpful, I must confess to a stealthy LOL at you for spending £60 on a washing up bowl grin

Selks Fri 15-Nov-13 11:51:03

You need to say you had Boeuf Bourguignon or Chicken Cacciatore soaking, OP wink grin

Floggingmolly Fri 15-Nov-13 11:51:32

If I was; I'd stop your pocket money if you're going to spend it on shite like that grin

peggyundercrackers Fri 15-Nov-13 11:51:56

imagine having an orange stain on your rim... then you put bleach on it - perish the thought.

dexter73 Fri 15-Nov-13 11:55:39

Tell them your housekeeper did it and if they don't replace it you will be docking her wages to cover the cost!

Tabliope Fri 15-Nov-13 11:57:36

I would take it back and ask for a refund - what have you got to lose? It's £60 - it really shouldn't look like crap after you've washed up in it. It's designer so the point is it looks good for £60 and it doesn't look good for £60. If you didn't care what your washing up bowl looked like you'd have gone to Poundland and bought one for a pound. If there were instructions with it do they say do not leave anything to soak? If not you can say you haven't broken any of their instructions. I'd also say the dish was only in there 10 minutes and left that stain, not overnight. In fact if you go with my argument that it's a designer item and is meant to look good then I think you've got cause to say it's not fit for purpose. Good luck. Let us know if you get your money back. Go in confidently but nicely. Do not be persuaded to take a red one in exchange saying it'll clash with your decor (look horrified at this point).

KoalaFace Fri 15-Nov-13 11:59:59

£60? <gulp>

If the Magic Eraser or Bicarb don't work you have to go with Dexter's idea. They'll feel so sorry for your poor housekeeper. Especially if you throw in the fact she is an elderly lady with a dog to feed!

whatagreatname Fri 15-Nov-13 12:01:05

Just looked at your link OP - the video is oh so useful

Sorry to hear about your stain grin

lborolass Fri 15-Nov-13 12:02:27

Of course you should take it back (unless it's miles away), even if they don't change it you're no worse off.

I don't understand all the threads like this, why wouldn't you just pop back, explain what's happened, ask for an exchange. If they say no they say no but as long as you're polite what have you got to lose?

I've worked in lots of shops, I don't care if people ask for an exchange (why would I?), if they are entitled to one they can have one (as long as they don't come in shouting the odds of course grin)

Tabliope Fri 15-Nov-13 12:02:35

Sorry HorsePetal saw that you had the same idea about it being a designer item first. I totally agree with it.

LittleTulip Fri 15-Nov-13 12:03:30

I can't believe people still use washing up bowls to wash the dishes.

Yuck.

And seriously £60!!?

HorsePetal Fri 15-Nov-13 12:05:42

flogginmolly Laugh (I have been told!)

I'm tempted to make my own You Tube video to counteract their 'lifestyle' one.

Oh god, I felt like an imposter buying the bloody thing, it's going to be even worse taking it back.

Maybe I should email them instead to get the lay of the land? <wimp>

I could set up a hotmail account with a posh name?

TheFutureSupremeRulersMum Fri 15-Nov-13 12:07:46

YABU. People who buy £60 washing up bowls do not wash dishes.

HorsePetal Fri 15-Nov-13 12:08:03

littletulip what is 'yuck' about using a washing up bowl?

If you have items that are too large or too delicate for the dishwasher then what do you do with them? Take them into the shower with you?

Genuine question!

dexter73 Fri 15-Nov-13 12:09:04

What's wrong with using a washing up bowl to wash dishes? confused

lborolass Fri 15-Nov-13 12:10:33

Is that really a genuine question? Obviously you put them in the sink into which you would otherwise have placed the washing up bowl, put in the plug, turn on the tap and add the washing up liquid.

HTH grin

LittleTulip Fri 15-Nov-13 12:11:06

I have never understood the point of washing dishes in a bowl? In dirty water? Why not just use the sink (with running water) instead of having a dirty plastic tub in it?

LittleTulip Fri 15-Nov-13 12:12:05

A dirty plastic £60 tub in this case! shock

HorsePetal Fri 15-Nov-13 12:12:49

But I have a 'Belfast' type ceramic sink so would be constantly breaking things if I didn't have a washing up bowl.

Still don't see why they are 'yuck' confused

SparklyFucker Fri 15-Nov-13 12:14:33

You're an idiot, but you already know that! Tomato is the devil's own owrk for staining and frankly I don't think anything is going to shift the stain (if at all) without also damaging the finish and surface. I'm sorry. Try taking it back, be dignified but absolutely firm - as if you're channelling what's her face from To the Manor Born. Act as if there's no possibility of them even considering not refunding you, you know the drill.

But ultimately I think you may have to accept that this was a very expensive mistake!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now