To think Penis is not a rude word?

(24 Posts)
youarewinning Sat 16-Nov-13 13:56:34

they're hmm there had grin

youarewinning Sat 16-Nov-13 13:51:35

I picked DS up on Thursday. Him being him said in reception "that's the teacher who told me Penis is a rude word" blush

I said "hi" to her and asked if they're been a problem with his behaviour?

"not really" said she, "another child told me DS had said the word whilst playing in the playground at lunchtime"

"oh right" said I "you do realise DS doesn't play in the playground due to his SN and has support in ICT suite instead?"

She looked blush

Just then the other year 5 teacher appeared and called her. I told her she better go, oh and I'd be complaining to his teacher on the Monday so she'd better fess up before then.

BTW - I have no intention of complaining as it's a non issue imo; but hopefully she's squirmed enough to have learnt a lesson!

ebwy Thu 14-Nov-13 22:32:41

My 3 year old informed his favourite adult in nursery "my penis didn't work!" (he meant he tried to pee but didn't need to so couldn't produce)

When my DS saw the nurse she said she wanted children to use the correct anatomical names not "Willy"

So, of course, DS took every opportunity to talk about his beloved penis because he was told this is correct.

grin

(DS , I don't hold the sane fascination as you do ) wink

BakeOLiteGirl Thu 14-Nov-13 21:38:30

My DS has just upgraded from willy to penis. So many people seem to have hang ups about him using it though.

I mean using the word penis not using the actual thing.

2cats2many Thu 14-Nov-13 21:22:14

We use the word freely in our house. It's the same as saying ARM or leg. Totally not rude and Yanbu.

Fleta Thu 14-Nov-13 21:20:26

I would think it would depend on how the teacher said it. e.g.

X: "Miss, miniyouarewinning called me a penis"
Teacher: "Miniyouarewinning that's rude"

YABU

X: "Miss, miniyouarewinning said penis"
Teacher: "Wash your mouth out miniyouarewinning you filthy little oik. I've never heard ANYTHING as rude"

YANBU

youarewinning Thu 14-Nov-13 21:06:06

phantom grin

itscocky Did you have something to say?! grin I agree, I tried to explain to DS when it's inappropriate - but all I got was I didn't say it. (likely didn't as his SN doesn't leave him much leeway in the ability to lie!) But I have to be non sided and at least try and explain!

phantomnamechanger Thu 14-Nov-13 21:02:10

Bobbin????? Bleurgh!

OMG, I just thought, do they sing "wind the bobbin up, pull, pull, clap clap clap" !! shock grin

itscockyfoxagain Thu 14-Nov-13 20:58:39

I have no idea why that posted so many times sorry.
Also Bobbin? I would have pissed myself laughing at that.

itscockyfoxagain Thu 14-Nov-13 20:57:19

Its not a rude word but if a boy needs to tell someone it hurts or someone is showing it and need to be told to put it away.
But I would tell mine not to say it in the same way I would tell them not to say bum for no good reason.

itscockyfoxagain Thu 14-Nov-13 20:57:15

Its not a rude word but if a boy needs to tell someone it hurts or someone is showing it and need to be told to put it away.
But I would tell mine not to say it in the same way I would tell them not to say bum for no good reason.

itscockyfoxagain Thu 14-Nov-13 20:57:10

itscockyfoxagain Thu 14-Nov-13 20:57:06

MollyHooper Thu 14-Nov-13 20:54:28

Bobbin...

I've said that out loud 4 times.

WTF?

youarewinning Thu 14-Nov-13 20:51:30

MrsR I feel your pain grin

If it's any consolation - my best friends DD's call their vulva/vagina a 'mini'. My DS is car mad and has SN............................. Oh the fun we've had!

youarewinning Thu 14-Nov-13 20:49:30

Yes sarah That's what I was trying to say grin The word isn't rude.

lizzzy sadly DS wouldn't care! He has social communication difficulties and total lack of empathy/ awareness of embarrassing things. He's likely to correct the teacher to call it a penis if he used a 'slang' term. blush

Also DS own teacher wouldn't have said anything to DS (well not told him off on another childs say so) - he knows DS well but a stand in for a day won't have that inside knowledge/ understanding of him.

MrsRajeshKoothrappali Thu 14-Nov-13 20:42:35

DS got told off in nursery for saying 'penis'.

Penis is a rude word, you see.

hmm

They made him say 'bobbin'. BOBBIN! Fecking 'bobbin'.

I remember it like it was yesterday. My gorgeous little boy looked at me and said (and he'd only been talking for a few months); 'That's not my penis, that's my bobbin.'

Fecking BOBBIN.

confused

I may have mentioned this before. DS is 10 now. I need to get over it.

But... But... BOBBIN?

shock

SarahAndFuck Thu 14-Nov-13 20:37:44

It's not a rude word so telling a child off for using it correctly is wrong.

At the very worst, if you DS did call the other boy a penis, the supply teacher should have said "it's rude to call people names" but as you say, the word penis used properly is not rude and I would be furious if someone told DS off just for saying the word.

Gruntfuttock Thu 14-Nov-13 20:32:44

The teacher shouldn't have told him off, because whether your DS said it or not the teacher should have said to X "So what?" Just as if X had said your DS said 'nose' would have been inconsequential.

lizzzyyliveson Thu 14-Nov-13 20:26:23

A supply teacher is not going to spend any time explaining the usage of the word penis, sorry. If you want your child's real teacher to do that then contact him/her tomorrow. I expect your child will curl up with embarrassment at the idea, though. grin

ImTenAPenny Thu 14-Nov-13 20:15:01

Yanbu.

CailinDana Thu 14-Nov-13 20:13:45

Yanbu.

youarewinning Thu 14-Nov-13 20:06:48

OK, had the following conversation with DS (9) today:

DS: "Is penis a rude word?" <he knows what a penis is>
Me: "no, why?"
DS: "X made it up that I said it today and the stand in teacher told me off as it's a rude word"
Me: "well the word isn't rude, but depending on how you said it - it may have appeared rude"
DS: "I just told you I didn't say it"
Me: <ignoring his innocent pleas> "if you called someone a penis it's rude because your calling them names"
DS: "I didn't say it"
Me: "If you said my penis hurts, it's not rude but it is something you should say in private"
DS: "I didn't say it"
Me: "what happened then"
DS: " I told you, X told the teacher I had said it and the teacher told me off as it's a rude word"
Me: "did you tell teacher you didn't say it?"
DS: "yes, but she said I did because X said I did"

Ignoring DS version of events as I do only have his side of the story AIBU to think a teacher shouldn't be telling a child the 'word' penis is rude? <but perhaps guiding them to it's appropriate use if used out of context?>

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now