aibu or are fish a crap pet

(51 Posts)
whogrewoutoftheterribletwos Thu 14-Nov-13 17:04:00

For a 7yo? Been thinking about a pet for a while. considered lizards but worried we might kill them. Dh hates cats and a dog is a lot of work if you're lazy like me

Ds suggested fish but imo they're a bit crap then they die. what do other mumsnetters think?

marfisa Fri 15-Nov-13 08:56:47

I love our tropical fish. We had goldfish before but they were harder to look after as they produce lots of waste. The tropical fish are easier to look after and more fun to watch IMO.

It's true that if your DS is 7, you will be doing the maintenance and not him. It's not a lot of work but you do need to be responsible about doing a small water change every week (or two at a pinch).

Mollies and guppies breed like mad. Usually all the young get eaten (perhaps one or two survive - survival of the fittest) but last time we put the fry in a nursery tank (a little net box that fits into your normal tank) and watched them grow up. My DS (8) loved it. We then returned them all to the local fish shop (there is a HUGE tropical fish shop round the corner from where we live, so loads of families round here have fish).

My only regret is that I didn't buy a larger tank in the beginning. I am thinking of asking for one for Christmas because I love the fish as much as or more than DS does. blush

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now