ear piercing.. what age?

(265 Posts)
ditsydoll Thu 14-Nov-13 13:34:26

Just wondering what age you would deem suitable for your dds to have their ears pierced?

LaRegina Thu 14-Nov-13 13:51:32

DD wanted hers done at 6 - I said absolutely not, despite having mine done at that age (she doesn't know that and hasn't thought to ask how old I was yet!).

However, a few months later a friend of hers developed an infection where she had had her ear's pierced on one side which was horrible and painful for her. That seems to have put DD off as she's not mentioned it since!

Pobblewhohasnotoes Thu 14-Nov-13 13:54:51

When they're old enough to look after them themselves. I wasn't allowed mine done until I was 16.

I hate seeing babies with earrings.

shallweshop Thu 14-Nov-13 13:58:17

I have told my 9 year old DD that she can have them done in the summer holidays between leaving juniors and starting secondary school.

luxemburgerli Thu 14-Nov-13 13:59:02

I don't personally like earrings on young kids (I'd probably say 10 or 11 would be my preference), but just wanted to ask what exactly "looking after earrings" entails.

I got mine done when I was 12, in the UK, and the lady who pierced them said to turn them 1/2 a turn once a day and otherwise not touch them for at least 3 months.

Worked fine for me, never any infections or problems.

mrsyattering Thu 14-Nov-13 14:01:43

13, that's how old I was when I was allowed mine done. DD 6 knows that it hurts and has decided she'd rather not smile

Theodorous Thu 14-Nov-13 14:03:02

Deep joy, another of these. Next there will be a fanny hair removal one. Such fun

Hawkmoth Thu 14-Nov-13 14:04:37

I said 14 to a little girl once who was coveting my earrings. I thought her dad was going to disembowel me.

LaRegina Thu 14-Nov-13 14:05:33

Deep joy, another of these. Next there will be a fanny hair removal one. Such fun

confused

Tiredemma Thu 14-Nov-13 14:05:40

lljkk Thu 14-Nov-13 14:08:52

It's a hassle with school PE & swim lessons, so plan around that. DD was 9 & I have no regrets.

Littlebigcat Thu 14-Nov-13 14:20:16

I was 9 and was the last girl in my year I think. I had to learn my times tables first.

spindlyspindler Thu 14-Nov-13 14:26:14

My mum had mine done when I was three, which is brilliant because they've never closed up no matter how long I leave them. I don't mind that my mother had mine done for me as I'm sure I'd never have had the bottle to go through with it once I was older (am an astonishing coward about pain) but as I have quite strong views about body ownership I would prefer to wait until it was asked for. If you can't take the pain, you don't want it badly enough to have it, I say smile

I kept telling my DD 14 and every time she pushed to get them done younger I told her another year older.
But she had them done in the summer before starting high school which was always my plan.
She was made up as it was so much earlier than I had said.

dizzy101 Thu 14-Nov-13 14:40:22

Dd1 had 1st at 3, 2nd at 9 and top ear done at 13. Never had any problems with any piercing.

Joysmum Thu 14-Nov-13 14:47:54

Get them done a babies and don't forget to put the baby in a headband with a bow on it!

Seriously though, I think the biggest issue is in tying in with the summer holidays and ensuring you are complying with school policies. If it's a younger child you need to ensure you will supervise cleaning as directed. If you can't then wait until the child is trusted to do this consistently and correctly themself.

PinkFairyArmadillo Thu 14-Nov-13 14:51:48

However old they need to be to cope with having them done properly and not at Claire's or a jewellers or anywhere else that uses a gun.

KellyElly Thu 14-Nov-13 15:03:20

I will let DD have hers done in the summer holidays before she starts secondary school.

lilola Thu 14-Nov-13 15:10:54

reading this thread made me suddenly think 'how WEIRD' it is that we punch mental spikes through our ear lobes. I have 4 in each lobe and 4 other body piercings but it just occurred to me that the concept is bizarre! Imagine trying to explain it to an alien that had just landed grin

anyway, I had mine done at 11, another set done at 14 and then pierced the rest of my lobes with an earring at 16 or 17. Surprisingly effective.

I wasn't allowed anything else so I had to wait til I was old enough to consent to tongue etc myself

IAlwaysThought Thu 14-Nov-13 15:12:30

I let my DDs get their ears pierced when their periods started confused Not for any great symbolic reasoning but more because it worked out like that.
It gave them something to look forward to.

jacks365 Thu 14-Nov-13 15:20:36

I'd say about 10/11. Mine all take part in sports and I did agree to one having hers done slightly earlier at 9 but only because she had broken her arm so it meant sports were stopped at that point so it was just for practical reasons.

At least a week.

<runs>

MrsBungleScare Thu 14-Nov-13 15:25:11

I agree with the summer hols before secondary school.

thegreylady Thu 14-Nov-13 15:27:17

i never 'let' my dd and when she and a friend did it for each other at about 14 I read such a riot act about infection etc that they let them heal up. Dd is 39 now and has never had them done. I think I over reacted though and now would say yes at about 13.

Lilacroses Thu 14-Nov-13 15:29:30

Dd had hers done aged 9 I think. Around here that is quite early. She was absolutely fine with them. Now, aged 10/11 alot of her friends have them pierced as well.

MostWicked Thu 14-Nov-13 15:29:59

Another vote for the summer holidays before secondary school.
Pierced ears on babies and young children is vile.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now