ear piercing.. what age?

(265 Posts)
ditsydoll Thu 14-Nov-13 13:34:26

Just wondering what age you would deem suitable for your dds to have their ears pierced?

Hulababy Fri 15-Nov-13 17:43:38

Earrings in the lobes are not necessarily permanent body modifications though Tiggy.

tb Fri 15-Nov-13 18:21:25

DD had hers pierced when she was 11 or 12. I had mine done at 16 - I had to wear uniform at school until the 6th form, and ear-studs weren't allowed until you didn't wear uniform any more.

DownstairsMixUp Fri 15-Nov-13 19:04:34

It's not just about the hygeine with guns anymore, as someone said above it's about the actual way it pieces in itself. When I was 13 they were piercing noses and tops of ears with them guns in lots of places. I would never let a gun near me if i want a piercing ever again!

Ohwhatfuckeryisthis Fri 15-Nov-13 19:50:34

Ok Theo. I will. I do think it's not only common but unnecessary. Wait till old enough to make informed choice and to look after themselves.

My DD i told her she could at 12, but she was scared and waited until 15.

Heartbrokenmum73 Fri 15-Nov-13 20:54:11

I don't think it's common (because I'm common as muck - nowt wrong with that grin) and I won't use the word chavvy either.

But I think it's wrong and I will judge the parents of small children and babies whose ears are pierced (regardless of all these amazingly rational toddlers hmm) the same way I judge toddlers in heeled shoes, babies being given hard-boiled lollipops and babies in fucking headbands.

I repeat what I said earlier - babies/toddlers/children even are not fashion accessories or dolls. They are cute and gorgeous enough, without needing their bodies modifying to give some stupid adults the 'awww' reaction.

It's not cute or pretty - it's quite sick-making.

mitchsta Fri 15-Nov-13 21:00:54

For me it was third time lucky after chickening out and running out of the shop twice 15. For my kids it would be after primary school. Friend let her DD get hers done age 6 and she hated them and took them out within a couple of weeks. Couldn't be arsed with them at all.

MalcolmTuckersMistress Fri 15-Nov-13 21:02:17

My mum got hers done at 40 and my grandad told her off saying she was too young!

Annunziata Fri 15-Nov-13 21:08:42

My baby's birth mother pierced hers and I don't want to take them out. She wears hairbands too, but that's down to me and her sisters smile

My older DDs were about 6 I think. I can't really remember.

olgaga Sat 16-Nov-13 23:40:31

Guns v needles; useful explanation here...

http://blog.bodyjewellery.co.uk/2013/07/body-piercing-needles-vs-guns/

olgaga Sat 16-Nov-13 23:40:31

Guns v needles; useful explanation here...

http://blog.bodyjewellery.co.uk/2013/07/body-piercing-needles-vs-guns/

VerySmallSqueak Sat 16-Nov-13 23:42:10

We went with 9.

olgaga Sat 16-Nov-13 23:42:54

Sorry for the double post, and lack of link - just can'work it out on my phone!

olgaga Sun 17-Nov-13 00:04:29
steff13 Sun 17-Nov-13 01:31:55

My dad made me wait until I was 15, and even then he maintained that only floozies get their ears pierced. hmm

My daughter is three, we will probably let her get hers done once she's old enough to care for them, provided she wants them.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now