ZOMBIE THREAD ALERT: This thread hasn't been posted on for a while.

To not send my son to school in pyjamas?

(83 Posts)
Throughthelongnight Thu 14-Nov-13 13:19:57

My son came home yesterday and said that they had been told to wear pyjamas to school on Friday, but he wasn't sure why.

He is not at all happy about this and has asked not to go in on that day.

I suspect it is for Children in need. I talked with him yesterday, and am sure it is due to his nocturnal enuresis, that he would feel uncomfortable in nightwear, although he hasn't said as much.

I have suggested buying new pyjamas, as his current ones are getting a little small, or borrowing his brothers (much coverted) angry bird ones. I have also suggested wearing jogging trousers and a tshirt instead, but he is adamant that he doesn't want to go.

He loves school, so I am sure this is not just a ploy to get out of going, and he was very upset.

So aibu to just keep him at home, and should I tell them why, or just invent a sore throat?

gorionine Fri 15-Nov-13 06:36:51

Yes, I think it might be better! You need to also make sure the value of your house is mentioned in the article as well as whether you are receiving any kind of benefit at all! Depending on both, you might swing opinions!

ICameOnTheJitney Fri 15-Nov-13 06:42:15

My DD was like this too! It is a silly idea....I did the packing them in her bag idea incase she changed her mind....she did! She came home in them having got changed in school.

englishteacher78 Fri 15-Nov-13 09:28:23

It was Children In Need's idea! Not sure why in November - seems more of a Comic Relief thing to me anyway.

Retropear Fri 15-Nov-13 09:41:16

Ours are allowed to go in non school uniform too- thankfully as my 10 year old twin boys would have not relished pj wearing one little bit.

Nanny0gg Fri 15-Nov-13 09:53:34

I would have been the same as your son. I would have hated wearing my PJs or standing out in something different.

And I am so glad I'm retired,because I bet the staff have to wear pyjamas too. I used to loathe any form of dressing up.

How embarrassing!

Throughthelongnight Fri 15-Nov-13 10:45:43

I agree nannyogg, and none of my night attire if fit to be seen in public.

I wonder if the powers that be consider these issues.

perfectstorm Fri 15-Nov-13 10:51:50

Blimey, DS' PJ's cover his whole body other than feet, hands and head - don't most peoples'? And not sure what modesty has to do with it anyway tbh.

I wouldn't send him either. If you're usually tough on attendance and he has a real and genuine issue such as that, why push it? A single day at home with work supervised by you isn't going to kill him. And I say that as someone whose Reception year child was also appalled by the idea and in tears, but who made him go in because he'd be fine once he did, and there was no actual issue other than the change from the norm. Your DS' situation is different. I think you made the right call.

feebeecat Fri 15-Nov-13 10:52:13

Nobody would want to see me walking to work in my nightie grin

That said, one of mine marched off happily enough, the other changed her mind (as predicted) so has gone in t-shirt/tracksuit bottoms and pj jacket - a passing nod at the theme - she meant to take the rest of them in school bag, but just found them on the table - opps.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now