To not send my son to school in pyjamas?

(83 Posts)
Throughthelongnight Thu 14-Nov-13 13:19:57

My son came home yesterday and said that they had been told to wear pyjamas to school on Friday, but he wasn't sure why.

He is not at all happy about this and has asked not to go in on that day.

I suspect it is for Children in need. I talked with him yesterday, and am sure it is due to his nocturnal enuresis, that he would feel uncomfortable in nightwear, although he hasn't said as much.

I have suggested buying new pyjamas, as his current ones are getting a little small, or borrowing his brothers (much coverted) angry bird ones. I have also suggested wearing jogging trousers and a tshirt instead, but he is adamant that he doesn't want to go.

He loves school, so I am sure this is not just a ploy to get out of going, and he was very upset.

So aibu to just keep him at home, and should I tell them why, or just invent a sore throat?

fuzzpig Thu 14-Nov-13 13:35:03

Aw bless him sad my DD didn't want to do a pj day (also children in need!) when she was younger - I think in her case maybe it was because she was so insistent that jammies are for nighttime and anything else was just plain WRONG!

Maybe he'd feel a bit more 'exposed' in pjs? It's different to being more clothed in lots of school uniform layers.

I would just say to him to wear what he wants, and maybe suggest he takes some nice (you could still get new ones as he needs them anyway) pjs in his bag just in case he gets left out and changes his mind when he gets there?

SwishAndFlick Thu 14-Nov-13 13:35:28

Jogging bottoms & a t shirt was suggested to the older kids of dd's school who would rather not wear pj's as thats what alot of older kids wear to sleep anyway.

FourFlapjacksPlease Thu 14-Nov-13 13:37:45

if it's out of character, and a one off, I'd let him stay home (and I am usually v strict about attendance!)

You know him best and if you think going will distress him, don't do it. You could always set him some work to do at home so it's not a choice of school or sofa and tv!

Fecklessdizzy Thu 14-Nov-13 13:38:02

DS2's going in dressed as Thor - bloody great hammer and all - I've pointed out he's going to be disarmed as soon as he gets past the door but he's insisting!grin

Throughthelongnight Thu 14-Nov-13 13:41:24

I agree, fuzz pig, I think I would feel a little exposed in pjs even with underwear.

Maybe he doesn't want to be different either, by wearing clothes rather than the pjs as everyone else will.

I might chat with the other mums later and get an idea of what their boys will be wearing. Then maybe a trip to Next...

I am usually a stickler for not taking unnecessary days off, so thought just this once would do no harm.

Beechview Thu 14-Nov-13 13:43:39

Mine are refusing to wear pjs too. They'll be going in jogging bottoms and sweatshirts.

Artandco Thu 14-Nov-13 13:47:35

Would let them go in joggers and hoody and just say they are what they wear

oscarwilde Thu 14-Nov-13 13:49:57

He's a pre-teen. Maybe he's just uncomfortable looking like an idiot in public. He'll be insisting on sleeping in only his boxers in no time at all! grin Or he's worried about being bullied for not having the right outfit.

Invent a cold and send him in warm clothes but I wouldn't let him off school. Let him have the courage of his convictions.
Or could you lay your hands on something like this which is completely blend in/won't be noticed and won't look odd with a t-shirt, hoody and trainers.

SilverApples Thu 14-Nov-13 13:51:04

Mine used to go in his huge black dressing gown, with the hood up.
He looked like the Grim Reaper Incarnate. grin

Poledra Thu 14-Nov-13 13:53:03

Is he worried about not wearing enough? One of my DDs got a bit anxious about wearing jammies, which boiled down to her being uncomfortable about being school with no knickers on! Once we had established that she would be wearing underwear under her PJs, she was much happier about the idea!

AugustaProdworthy Thu 14-Nov-13 13:53:21

Why pyjamas? Why?
Why not just a straight forward non uniform day?
I remember from my teaching days that lessons were awful on CiN or Red Nose day as kids wanted a 'fun' lesson because 'it's CiN day Miss'
Why not just give a quid and carry on as normal?

kmdwestyorks Thu 14-Nov-13 13:58:15

11 is old enough to feel both a little more exposed and also slightly daft wandering around out of doors in PJ's. It's also young enough to feel vulnerable standing out from the crowd and not participating which might explain why he wants to take the totally reasonable option of staying home and not having to deal with either.

I would send him to school, but spend time together deciding what he can wear that will work for him as I should imagine he will not be the only 11 year old male or female in clothes that are merely a nod in the direction of PJ's. And I bet he's not the only uniformed child tomorrow

DesperatelySeekingSanity Thu 14-Nov-13 13:59:01

Daft question but he does know he's not expected to go to sleep at school doesn't he? It's not that he's thinking there will be some massive sleepover?

broccolirocks Thu 14-Nov-13 13:59:31

My son's exactly the same. He's 11 and he's never wanted to 'dressing up' on non-uniform days, always wears normal jeans and t-shirt and if I tried to make him, he would only get upset. Hopefully the school don't care so long as they get their £1 contribution. Bet some of the teachers hate it too!

IAlwaysThought Thu 14-Nov-13 14:00:33

I would tell him that he can't have the day off but other than that I would let him wear what he wants. He could take a few choices of clothes in his bag so that he could change if he felt uncomfortable.

Throughthelongnight Thu 14-Nov-13 14:00:39

They look good oscarwilde.

I agree that he needs to face up to challenges, however having had several dry nights this week, I don't want anything knocking his confidence or self esteem at the moment.

Chivetalking Thu 14-Nov-13 14:02:24

I'm guessing he's in Year 6 and if he's already 11 he's one of the oldest in the year?

IME they either embrace the dressing up thing wildly and unleash the inner showman at that age or they're way too cool for all that juvenile nonsense. Maybe he's just outgrown dressing up days?

I wouldn't send him in PJ's that are too small (maybe that's the problem?) but I wouldn't be rushing to the shops to buy new either. I'd give him a choice of trackies and a hoody or uniform but he'd be going in.

MrsWolowitz Thu 14-Nov-13 14:02:40

I would tell him that he can't have the day off but other than that I would let him wear what he wants. He could take a few choices of clothes in his bag so that he could change if he felt uncomfortable.

^ I agree with this.

If he doesn't want to wear pjs then fine, he can wear uniform or something else but I think taking a day off because you don't want to go along with the fancy dress theme is an over-reaction.

Throughthelongnight Thu 14-Nov-13 14:03:00

Yes, he knows he can wear underwear, and doesn't have to go to sleep!

Madlizzy Thu 14-Nov-13 14:04:28

Give him the choice of his uniform or normal clothes. Is he year 6 or 7? Year 7 is likely to be a bit stricter if he wants to wear his own clothes instead of pyjamas.

Takver Thu 14-Nov-13 14:08:12

I'd be very surprised if he were the only year 6 boy there in normal uniform - dd's primary did this, and a fair sprinkling just wore uniform as per usual.

Throughthelongnight Thu 14-Nov-13 14:09:41

He is in year 6. I told him to have a chat with his friends today, and I think I will tell him that he is going tomorrow, but can decide what to wear, and point out that lots of boys sleep in joggers etc.

Love these might just get them for him anyway!

MrsLambada Thu 14-Nov-13 14:10:31

My ds is going in in jogging bottoms and t-shirt, but taking PJs. He has a long bus journey so will freeze his arse off if he goes off in the PJs.

Chopstheduck Thu 14-Nov-13 14:12:11

he def won't be the only one. I refused one year to send mine in PJs. It was in the middle of a snowy spell and we only had shortie pjs (heating was cheaper then!). I can't remember if they went in uniform or own clothes.

alwaysneedaholiday Thu 14-Nov-13 14:13:23

My 11 year old sleeps in boxers, but loves wearing 'daytime' onesies, of which there are loads in Next.

I would go and have a look with him, and great suggestion about taking a couple of changes to school, so he can choose.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now