Note: Please bear in mind that whilst this topic does canvass opinions, it is not a fight club. You may disagree with other posters but we do ask you please to stick to our Talk Guidelines and to be civil. We don't allow personal attacks or troll-hunting. Do please report any. Thanks, MNHQ.

that a decorator should not ask

(91 Posts)
PTFO Thu 14-Nov-13 12:37:08

me to make his lunch for him then sit at the top of the stairs eating in?

Hes painting the bathroom. He asked if he could have his lunch- yes fine. He asked if I had a microwave- no I don't why do you ask? oh er could you just bung my spag bog in a pan and heat it through for me....er really its frozen solid. yes thanks...he then helped himself to a bowl and fork to add to my washing up. oh and he knew which cupboard had the bowls in straight away but he does appear to be washing said bowl up...

I might ask he lives five mins away...

Onefewernow Thu 14-Nov-13 13:26:38

I can't say I would have lost sleep over it.

Rooners Thu 14-Nov-13 13:26:42

I knew one that spent the day getting drunk and eating cornish pasties on the couch of the house he was decorating. They called him later and made him come back and hoover it.

Serves him right.

CiderBomb Thu 14-Nov-13 13:27:09

Very odd, and yes a bit rude and presumptuous. Most work men will either pop to the shops and grab a pasty or some fish and chips, or bring a packed lunch with them.

captainmummy Thu 14-Nov-13 13:30:23

so How did he know which cupboard had the bowls in?

Bowlersarm Thu 14-Nov-13 13:35:18

Very odd. Decoraters in my experience only expect tea/coffee at regular intervals.

PTFO Thu 14-Nov-13 15:26:24

captainmummy- that was my thought too, lucky first guess? Found the forks first time too...bit worried as I had to pop out earlier...

my dh came home and laughed his head off when I told him and said "you do pick'em" but admitted he is a bit odd.

Lets hope he didn't bring dinner too!

daisychain01 Italy Thu 14-Nov-13 15:45:03

Hi PTFO. Our decorator has been over a few times since we moved in here in April and almost treats it like home from home now. He even said "I love coming round to yours, it's great!". To start with we were kinda hmmm....right... things like we know it's home time because he always goes and puts the kettle on beforehand < nice cuppa for the road > and he brought his little 2year old son over to meet us.

He hasn't asked me to heat up his spag-bol yet, though. That's a good'un. I guess it depends on whether he is doing an amazing job of your decorating and you want to reward him for a job well done! Difficult isn't it...

Actually I was going to do an AIBU thread about what people think about workmen asking to use our loo... I must admit I am really hmm about that. I feel really mean but I can't stand the thought of a #2. <heave>. Should I make a laminated sign saying "NO HEAVY USE" or something ? Found a big lunker in there one day <TMI>

daisychain01 Italy Thu 14-Nov-13 15:50:18

BTw our decorator wasn't to blame for the #2. He wasn't in that day.

..and I was just about to type "just wanted to clear that up " but changed my mind grin

daisychain01 Italy Thu 14-Nov-13 16:02:04

Just remembered that our decorator said he prefers chockie Hobnobs to Digestives

<MUG tattooed on forehead>

dorothyparka Thu 14-Nov-13 16:06:08

So he made a minor faux pasta—maybe he's just not well versed in spaghettiquettegrin

valiumredhead Thu 14-Nov-13 16:10:16

I make my 'men' bacon buttiesgrin

Well, deduct the going hourly rate for the length of time you spent doing his lunch.

WorraLiberty England Thu 14-Nov-13 16:13:39

It is a bit odd but nothing I'd lose sleep over, considering he just assumed you had a microwave.

But it's no more odd than you saying you 'made his lunch' for him and he 'added to your washing up', when neither are true.

TBH it wouldn't bother me - he bought his lunch just wanted it warmed up. I would expect him to bring his own container for eating it in and cutlery and take them away with him - Because that is what I would do.
Well actually I would have taken sandwiches..

In my business we employ tradesmen we would not Expect and NOT want customers to feed the men (while the are eating they are not working).

We would definitely tell our work man NOT to do that again if they were working for us. Because obviously some people would find it rude, even though as I said it wouldn't bother me.

Also - helping yourself to clients cups, tea, milk sugar and creating a mess while they are out is terrible, it is unprofessional. Again the guys who work for us don't do that and we would not be pleased if we found they did.

Actually it is very rare for the to even use the customers toilet.

Sometimes when we are working on big jobs, where clients are out and perhaps it is the middle of nowhere we arrange with the client that we will make our drinks. We bring everything - own cups, cutlery, own kettle, milk, coffee, and a tray.

daisychain01 Italy Thu 14-Nov-13 16:51:49

MrsTara so don't your chaps need to use the toilet all day? All those cups of tea... must be camels.

diddl Germany Thu 14-Nov-13 16:55:50

If he lives so close-why wouldn't he go home?

TheHeadlessLadyofCannock Thu 14-Nov-13 16:57:12

I think there's a clear difference between him asking to use your microwave/hob to heat his lunch, and asking you to heat it for him.

But then again, maybe he asked because he was nervous about using your hob in case he did it wrong?

D011Y Thu 14-Nov-13 17:04:01

I always offer mine bacon sandwiches. You sound weird and very petty.

southeastastra Thu 14-Nov-13 17:04:59

buy a tradesperson's microwave, on another thread on here someone had a tradesman's loo grin

treas Thu 14-Nov-13 17:05:58

My main issue with it is that I can't see him asking a bloke to prepare it for him. I'd have told him that I was busy but he was free to use the kitchen.

Really? - He asked the person who owns the house who was there. He'd have done the same if "the man of the house" had been in. Poor sod was trying to be polite. Plus not all cooker hobs are the same so he wouldn't necessarily have known how to use it.

Why do people treat trades people unpleasantly, they are doing a job for you so you want them to do a good job. You catch more flies with honey - and often get a discount if you are pleasant to work for

GuffSmuggler Thu 14-Nov-13 17:12:43

fluffy grin I had a talker AND someone who I had to make lunch for everyday once (actually prepare from scratch).

Word of advice, never actually offer lunch because you feel sorry for them, it sets a precedent!! (I'd never had a workman in before, I didn't know the rules) Urgh I had to make lunch for over a week for him.

Arrrrghhhhhh

unlucky83 Thu 14-Nov-13 17:14:38

I think he probably thought it wouldn't be a hassle to microwave it for him. The pan probably threw him and he was a bit hmm about using your kitchen whilst you were in the house.
Also he might have thought you'd be out...he could just pop it in the micro.
I think he would have asked a bloke too...
I make workmen tea etc - and in new house (empty being renovated) have a little 'kitchen' area - mugs, kettle, tea, coffee, sugar and a microwave...I have been know to let them in and go down to shop to buy milk and biscuits for them (maybe that makes me a mug?). Most of them are surprised and have brought a flask. (some wash their mugs - some don't - know which ones I like best smile )
One workman annoyed me a bit - left in house on his own threw his rubbish (banana skin, empty juice cartons, sandwich wrapper etc) in a cardboard box - I assume he thought it was the rubbish bin -actually it was spare bulbs, instructions for alarm, smoke alarms etc left by the electricians - I didn't realise what had happened for a few weeks - my alarm instructions have rotting banana skin marks on them sad!
I will say DP in this house makes them endless cups of tea and huge stonking sandwiches as 'snacks' - I think that is a bit OTT (most don't need encouragement to have a break ...don't mind if paying for job -do if by the hour...)

ohmymimi Thu 14-Nov-13 17:23:08

treas Hear, hear!

PTFO Thu 14-Nov-13 20:28:30

..well I popped out and left my dh with him. When I came home my dh said he packed up his gear, loaded up the van reversed out the driveway, changed his mind, drove back in. walked straight back in the house and back to the bathroom saying "I thought I could make it (home) but I can't" and proceed to use the loo...

again he lives five mins away if that. he's just a bit odd...we shall see what tomorrow brings!

Rubybrazilianwax Thu 14-Nov-13 20:43:00

I wouldnt have heated it because there's no way I wouldn't have offered him lunch in the first place. I always provide lunch and cups of tea for anyone working at the house. But we are very hospitable here

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now