AIBU or are there a disproportionate number of Scots accents on cbeebies?

(157 Posts)
Slatecross Wed 13-Nov-13 22:52:11

Woolly and Tig, Balamory, Me Too, Bits and Bobs and now "keetee moooregg."

And only one scouser, and not a single northerner! What's going on?!

Geordie would be 'porl voll-nn', no? At least I think that's how my friend says it.

GideonKipper Fri 15-Nov-13 12:29:08

If Keith Fitt says 'pearl verlting' then Justin's obviously fallen into the trap all Southerners do of hideously mashing up Newcastle, Sunderland, Middlesborough and Northumbrian accents and calling it Geordie.

A broad Geordie would say 'voll-nn' complete with glottal stop.

KatoPotato Fri 15-Nov-13 11:02:43

It's Mull-Guy.

dearscotland.com/2009/09/09/mull-guy-and-bearsden-double-fun/

This shiz pays our mortgage...

UriGeller Fri 15-Nov-13 10:33:21

The little girl who talks about Autumn on ceebeebies. What an accent that is!

"An me mum ses, Steeveh"! Love it. Is that Yorkshire or Lanc/Manc?

mrsjay Fri 15-Nov-13 10:24:01

a few programmes have been made in glasgow dd has been in the audience for john barrowmans awful prgramme a few shows, bbc building in glasgow is huge

badguider Fri 15-Nov-13 10:18:57

children's programmes are made in Glasgow for the same reason natural history ones are made in Bristol - it's just where the department is based.

mrsjay Fri 15-Nov-13 10:15:20

I saw MIL GUY in a very annoying faux posh accent of course I would never say it to anybody from Milnigavie (sp) but when i say it i think i am hilarious i am not hilarious

AnnieJanuary Fri 15-Nov-13 10:11:13

I thought surely we had enough twee shows about rural country/coastal life, but my kids lap this stuff up. Katie Morag's alright, it's gentle and sweet. I hate most of CBeebies with it's yelling and screeching and nonsensical babble (Baby Bloody Jake) so I'm glad they find sheep contests and village chatter so exciting!

I love Scots accents so I don't mind hearing them all the time.

Abadas was very Welsh.

I'd say mul-guy. Maybe we're just not as posh as those who say mil-guy?

RobinSparkles Fri 15-Nov-13 09:45:21

"Lenny Henry is from Dudley, so is Black Country, not Brummie.

<pedant>"

Yeah, but it sounds really similar. Like someone from Chorley sounds similar to someone from Bolton. It's hard to tell the difference if you're not from there!

RobinSparkles Fri 15-Nov-13 09:41:15

Mr. Bloom's accent is TERRIBLE! 30 years in the North West and I've never heard an accent like it.

losersaywhat Fri 15-Nov-13 09:34:59

I just had to google Big and Small. I wad thinking of big cook little cook and couldnt figure out how Lenny Henry was their voice. Could be cos I was thinking of the wrong program grin

WilsonFrickett Thu 14-Nov-13 23:13:50

BBC children's is based in Glasgow.

BBC drama is based in Cardiff

BBC Factual is based in Manchester

All part of a 'regionalisation' programme to see the huge amount of money the licence fee generates from across the uk actually being spent in other parts of the uk that don't start in 'Lon' and end in 'don'.

The reason there are a lot more Scottish accents in children's is they don't have the budgets ship other accents in (factual) or film exclusively on location (drama).

ercoldesk Thu 14-Nov-13 23:02:41

fluffy I thought it was " mul guy" ?

GoshAnneGorilla Thu 14-Nov-13 22:54:39

Lenny Henry is from Dudley, so is Black Country, not Brummie.

<pedant>

Slatecross Thu 14-Nov-13 22:30:33

BERNARD CRIBBINS IS FROM OLDHAM!!!

Hurray!!! Lancashire makes it to ceebeebies!!!

faints

SirChenjin Thu 14-Nov-13 21:27:14

Can I just point out though (it's probably already been said, just can't be arsed to RTFT) that there is no such thing as a Scottish accent, just as there is no such thing as an English accent. Everyone knows, for example, that the weegie accent is dog rough (unless you're from the one square mile approx that is the West End), whereas everyone from Edinburgh is better than the weegies and we sound like Miss Jean Brodie. Dundee northwards is also pretty dire, but north west is very singsong and heathery.

And that is not a sweeping generalisation but is in fact the truth

Aarow Thu 14-Nov-13 20:17:29

Frilly My youngest had a minor Scottish accent as a result of CBeebies. I'm not sure how as she doesn't really watch much (she prefers watching the kid programs on some other channels) but she rolls her rs properly and everything.

FrillyMilly Thu 14-Nov-13 20:09:06

Mr Blooms fake northern accent is horrible. Does it sound real to non northerners? Is that what you think we sound like??

I like the Scottish accents. My DD is 5 and has managed to watch Cbeebies without picking one up smile

MrsBungleScare Thu 14-Nov-13 19:32:13

I loved supergran!

tattiehowker Thu 14-Nov-13 19:30:49

I know! How dare these Scottish bastards think they have a right to be heard?

I just worry for the poor forgotten English. What will happen if they don't have 100% dominance of all media? What will happen to English children being forced to hear people say "car" instead of "cah" etc?

Although Justin Fletcher appears to be an Englander and has 87.3% saturation of CBeebies... And so the natural order is restored.

Fluffyears Thu 14-Nov-13 19:16:45

I did speak to a colleague in London today who pronounced 'Milngavie' correctly. The English newsreaders always say it incorrectly. For those not in the know it is not pronounced 'Millingavey' it is 'mil-guy' x

SirChenjin Thu 14-Nov-13 18:11:45

Because Scottish accents are nicer than Ingerlish ones. Fact.

DH has got a major thing for Nina. Fortunately I saw Dr Ranj for the first time today, so we're even... but if he asks me to wear bunches and blue eye shadow I'm LTBing

Bakingtins Thu 14-Nov-13 16:56:18

They are. But I like them. sucker for a scottish accent

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now