WIBU to switch off Topsy and Tim

(196 Posts)
GoofyIsACow Wed 13-Nov-13 17:46:31

Beacuse they used the word 'playdate'... Twice!?

In fact 'a double playdate'

FFS! grin

Thesebootsweremadeforwalking Thu 21-Nov-13 21:34:39

My 5 year old absolutely loves it, not sure why as Dennis the Menace is more his thing nowadays. I love their ordinary house, too.

Housewife2010 Thu 21-Nov-13 22:20:22

My children & I love it. I think Tim is adorable too. The children get on so well though. I keep asking my two why they can't get on well like Topsy & Tim. They love the programme, call each other Topsy & Tim, then start fighting! BTW, I remember T & T's Friday book too where they dressed up as gypsies. Mummy made a paste of cocoa powder & water to darken their skin. After they'd eaten at the party they had a big white mark round their mouths where they'd licked it off.

loopsngeorge Thu 21-Nov-13 23:43:19

Merrymouse - Topsy and Tim go hill walking!! That was my all time favourite one and interestingly never reprinted, probably because of the mixed messages about running away from your parents! It ends up with Topsy and Tim sniggering because they had a great day, even though they were spanked and put to bed.

SheRaHasTheAnswer Fri 22-Nov-13 08:02:49

DoubleLifeIsALifeOfSorts you were not named but quoted on page 3 of The Sun today!

Apparently there have been lots of complaints about the programme.
<outs self as a Sun reader>

capercaillie Fri 22-Nov-13 08:11:34

I have a copy of topsy and Tim go hillwalking!

LaneyG0712 Fri 22-Nov-13 09:52:44

Personally, I have concerns for Tim's future after seeing this!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZB2J-Eq24PY

WhereIsMyHat Fri 22-Nov-13 10:03:35

My 3 year old loves it, really loves it. I'm sure Dad must be taking some kind of amphetamine, no one can be that jolly all the time.

Does anyone know what the mum has been in before, I recognise her but can't place where from.

dairyfreebabyandme Fri 22-Nov-13 10:07:24

Loved the books when I was little! My LO loves them too. The TV series is nothing like I would picture from having read the books, but my LO loves the programmes - watches them over and over on iplayer. Was the same with Peter Rabbit!

Glittermud Fri 22-Nov-13 10:10:12

The mother is a strange mix of saccharine charm and barely concealed irritation. I'm looking forward to 'Topsy & Tim: Mummy Goes Postal'

Bumpsadaisie Fri 22-Nov-13 10:11:58

My kids absolutely love it, so that's what counts.

I cannot STAND the word playdate. I feel the rage rising up!

tweetytwat Fri 22-Nov-13 10:13:25

It's horribly horribly sexist. I was really surprised that the BBC made this crap TBH. We generally love CBeebies here. I am not keen on all the programmes - some are a rather boring etc but harmless. But this was awful.

Yes yes to the really blatant sexism - was a bit stunned!

How about when poor ickle Mum had to call capable Dad to come home early from work to fix the leak, and then it was specified that Tim was going to help him while Topsy did something else more suited to the weaker sex.

And the car washing, with the Dad letting them have fun and get dirty and the Mum worrying about their precious clothes hmm

PS - just looked at the obligatory DM story based on this thread, and have to share this comment with you: "Mumsnet?? More like dimwit net." grin Barbed, I tell you.

my dd loves it

AugustaProdworthy Fri 22-Nov-13 10:31:32

My two DCs love it. I like that the stories are just normal everyday and people are polite and pleasant and the house looks normal.

AugustaProdworthy Fri 22-Nov-13 10:32:23

I do get confused though- how is Lee Mack's twin the Dad?

MaddAddam Fri 22-Nov-13 10:34:44

Merrymouse, my dc loved the 60s book "Topsy and Tim go hillwalking" because when they ran away the woman who looked after them said their father would "dust their breeches".

My dds played at dusting each other's breeches for years. Just the phrase could send them into hysterics.

niminypiminy Fri 22-Nov-13 10:38:17

My two boys, aged 10 and 7, love it. And given their other tv choices (sport for one, Great British Railway Journeys for the other) it's not because they always love toddler telly. I think children like seeing other children on tv, and something that looks a bit like a normal home, and fairly ordinary things happening.

PenguinsDontEatPancakes Fri 22-Nov-13 10:45:06

DD1 loves it.

I hate it due to the blatant sexism.

Playdate - girls have cupcakes to decorate, boys play with quadbike. Not only that, Tim asks to decorate a cupcake and Mummy says that they are only for Topsy and her friend and he goes off sad. Did prompt a discussion with DD1 about how that was rather silly because there were loads to go round and if she's let him join in they wouldn't have had the accident with the bike. But I don't think that that was some clever plan by the producers.

Likewise when there was a leak, Tim helps dad with the tile, Topsy does the washing with mum.

The new jeans one looked a bit suspect as well from the 10 seconds I saw.

Gives me the rage. Much prefer Sarah and Duck (quack).

AnneOfCleavage Fri 22-Nov-13 10:50:50

The one I saw with DD was them both helping dad wash the car. DD absolutely loves this program as she loved the books when young so it has fond memories. Both DH and I had the books too so we quite enjoy watching the odd episode.

DD has b/g twin cousins so she really relates to it despite being probably too old to watch it now in some peoples opinion.

Chockywockydoodah Fri 22-Nov-13 10:52:36

DD (3.8) LOVES it and watches it everyday and sings the theme tune by heart. DH even sat and watched it with her and sniggered at "Daddy's smelly football kit in the rucksack" when the estate agent came over.

Littlemisstax Fri 22-Nov-13 11:00:46

3yr old DD loves it and I'm encouraging the change from Peppa Pig but she wants Topsy's butterfly jeans and Tim's dinosaur ones - anyone know where they're from?

schmee Fri 22-Nov-13 11:17:09

I won't watch it because in the trailer Tim calls Topsy "Twin Topsy". No, her name is Topsy. 101 of twin parenting is don't call them "twin". Grrrrrrrrr.

GoofyIsACow Fri 22-Nov-13 11:39:21

grin at there being a DM story about this thread... <outraged>

eggsforbreakfast Fri 22-Nov-13 12:42:20

I personally find it nauseating but DD loves it. Am hopeful that she is learning good behaviour and manners from the impeccably behaved And compliant Topsy and Tim wink

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now