WIBU to switch off Topsy and Tim

(196 Posts)
GoofyIsACow Wed 13-Nov-13 17:46:31

Beacuse they used the word 'playdate'... Twice!?

In fact 'a double playdate'

FFS! grin

BlackholesAndRevelations Wed 13-Nov-13 21:05:56

Don't you think the acting is just horrendous, though?

KerwhizzedMyself Wed 13-Nov-13 21:20:40

Ooh I thought they were good little actors!

Scholes34 Wed 13-Nov-13 22:54:29

The thing about Topsy and Tim is that the stories are supposed to be about boring everyday things, because Jean Adamson recognised there were few children's books available about boring everyday things.

Hate the word "playdate".

Absolutely loved Topsy and Tim's Friday Book when I was younger, when they went to a party dressed as gypsies. Would that be allowed now? Probably more Channel 4 than CBeebies.

yummymumtobe Wed 13-Nov-13 23:06:44

Didn't know it was on so will look out for it as I loved the books when I was younger.

Btw what's wrong with the word playdate?! Can't see why it would cause offence? Just quicker than saying 'come round to play'

nennypops Wed 13-Nov-13 23:29:41

Popularly known as Dropsy and Dim in our house.

BlackholesAndRevelations Thu 14-Nov-13 06:25:05

The kids are ok... It's the adults who can't act! I do find it extremely dull, but then I'm not three and therefore the target audience.

KerwhizzedMyself Thu 14-Nov-13 17:47:07

And today we've had butterfly jeans for topsy and dinosaur for tim. I really thought for a second that tim was going to be upset because he wanted butterflies too but nah. I really think they missed a trick in not updating the sexism or gender stuff.

SteamWisher Thu 14-Nov-13 17:49:14

YANBU

I thought it was going to be animated. Why not do that instead of bloody actors?!

AugustaProdworthy Thu 14-Nov-13 17:50:34

Mine have just finished watching it and now asked to see another on iplayer
I don't mind- they are polite, friendly and the stories are just normal everyday stuff. It's a nice break from superheroes.
And Peppa Pig
And Ben and Holly

FreshGarbage Thu 14-Nov-13 18:05:12

I'm struggling with them - purely because they aren't twins in real life, but they look so twinnish...every episode is freaking me out!

DoubleLifeIsALifeOfSorts Sun 17-Nov-13 00:37:20

It's flabbergastingly sexist - I was so disappointed sad

Mummy & topsy do the washing while Tim helps daddy with the mans work. Topsy is inside making cakes and Tim gets told they're not for him and he must go outside and play with the quad bike...

I can't let my 3.5 yr old, he already thinks girls can't do stuff that boys can.

LittleBearPad Sun 17-Nov-13 00:42:17

The cakes and quad hike thing was depressingly sexist.

And the theme tune is too catchy in my head again

Mouldypineapple Mon 18-Nov-13 17:56:39

Ha I knew there would be a Topsy and Tim thread or three! My dd (almost 4) has insisted we call her Topsy for the last 2 days! Oh and my DH is now called Tim too. I quite like it actually, the ordinary stuff. Like the washing on the airer indoors and the dog making a mess in next doors garden!

Important question however - does the Mummy ever get PMT?? She is far too happy for my liking!

Arabesque1 Tue 19-Nov-13 16:24:38

The books are sweet but I don't see why every good children's book has to be turned into a television programme.

nomeansno20 Wed 20-Nov-13 15:25:07

I want to thank CBEEBIES for topsy and tim series. Its the only time my hubby sits down with the kids. I'm sure its cos yummy mummy Anna Acton is so lush. I'm not jealous tho, its funny to see him perk up whenever she comes on screen. Anyone else becoming a Topsy and Tim widow? JJ

starlight1234 Wed 20-Nov-13 15:32:26

I didn't realise it was a TV program my DS now 6 made me read these over and over again..yes YABU turning it off as it isn't on for you

NarwhalKnickers Wed 20-Nov-13 15:47:39

I want to thank CBEEBIES for topsy and tim series. Its the only time my hubby sits down with the kids. I'm sure its cos yummy mummy Anna Acton is so lush. I'm not jealous tho, its funny to see him perk up whenever she comes on screen. Anyone else becoming a Topsy and Tim widow? JJ

...Anna is that you? wink

merrymouse Wed 20-Nov-13 21:01:02

Nothing happens in the books????!!!!

Maybe not the newer ones, but I still have the book where Topsy and Tim go on holiday to the Lake district, and nobody will take them hill walking so they decide to go on their own and they get lost. Eventually they find a shop in another village and I think they can remember the name of their hotel so their parents are tracked down.

I am sure they are spanked as punishment.

Having said that, I agree that I don't think they were all high drama.

We have the book with the birthday party. The most exciting thing that happens is that one of the kids arrives late! grin

Today's episode was hideous, yeah, let's all ignore mummy when she says no messy stuff! And DH was most concerned that when T&T got in the car the first time, there were no car seats, but when they got in two minutes later, there they were!

Snatchoo Thu 21-Nov-13 00:12:05

I loved the books as a child and remember reading about twenty in a row when I was about ten and getting ready for my dance show.

My ID bit twins love it, I like the normality of the situations but I found the whole cake and quad bike, and butterflies and dinosaurs thing really weird. Mum actually told Tim he wasn't allowed to do the cakes with the girls! It's so hard trying to explain to my boys that just because an advert is pink and only girls are in it doesn't mean the toy is only for girls - then this comes along a ruins all my good work!

HectorVector Thu 21-Nov-13 00:16:27

My DS (3) loves it... He's been talking about it all week and insisting he's Topsy and that we must call him Topsy.
And he seems to have become slightly concerned that we are going to move house.

MelodyB52 Thu 21-Nov-13 19:49:38

Think it's pretty crass that in a recession when money is tight for most people they are moving to a bigger house - AND a bigger garden.

AndThatsAnotherThing Thu 21-Nov-13 19:56:15

The way they've made the house look fake messy (washing drying in the lounge) is a bit annoying.

The DSs (5 and 7 - really quite old for it confused ) love it though.

GrendelsMum Thu 21-Nov-13 21:23:03

What's happened to Tansy?

I demand the return of Tansy!

Who was clearly only adopted because the parents have a name fetish.

beeny Thu 21-Nov-13 21:28:14

My kids love it, the mum is too cheery makes me feel bad.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now