Actually, I am being really unreasonable. However I would like to ask those who have experienced Angel Feathers to....

(806 Posts)
DioneTheDiabolist Tue 12-Nov-13 22:43:03

...answer a few questions that I have.

1). What does it feel like when you see that feather?

2). What are your thoughts when this happens?

And

3). What would you say are the long term (if any) effects that you would attribute to these encounters.

I understand that this belief has been the subject of some ridicule here. I have no intention of ridiculing anyone. This thread has been inspired by a previous AIBU thread, but is not a thread about a thread. I am not a journalist. I am not seeking results to use in an academic submission or publication. What I am seeking is knowledge and understanding in the hope that I can use it to help others.

IABU for the following reasons:
I only posted in AIBU for the traffic. If MN rule that I have breached guidelines, can it be moved and not deleted.

And I ask the skeptics not to put people off answering honestly. If you think it necessary, I can start another thread for all your thoughts to be discussed. Perhaps the scientifically minded of you could look at this as an information gathering excersise.smile

Minshu Tue 12-Nov-13 23:05:24

A local National Trust Halloween treasure hunt wanted children to find feathers, among other things. I was going to mug a lady in a down coat / gilet if we didn't find any on the ground. Everyone got lucky.

But, I've probably missed the point.

Ruralninja Tue 12-Nov-13 23:05:27

And lols at the 'long-term effects' of finding feathers! At a guess, I'd say an outside chance of collecting enough of them to stuff a pin cushion after a few years....

steff13 Tue 12-Nov-13 23:06:14

So, we're talking about random white feathers, not feathers that fall off of Angels? Hmm, clearly I am unfamiliar with the phenomenon. smile

I have no idea what this is all about...

timidviper Tue 12-Nov-13 23:07:17

Whenever I find a nice white feather I like to think that an angel is near and watching over me. On the other hand I do live at the seaside and my friend always huffs and tells me that's rubbish, it's come from a seagull's arse! grin

I think angels sound much nicer though.

YukonHo Tue 12-Nov-13 23:07:35

My DM is convinced every feather she finds is from her dead husband. It seems to give her solace, I hold my tongue and try not to mention the chickens we keep or the feather cushions/pillows/duvets. But that's clearly what it is.

Ruralninja Tue 12-Nov-13 23:07:40

Honestly if all that shite existed, why would they (angels) go around being so utterly cryptic? Seems a tiring waste of time....

AngelsLieToKeepControl Tue 12-Nov-13 23:07:44

I speak to people about this on a fairly regular basis, I had a conversation about it today actually.

From what I hear people see/notice them when their loss is weighing on their mind, or they are going through a difficult time.

Seeing these feathers makes them feel like they are being watched over and looked after, and gives them some comfort and strength.

I can't see how it can be a negative thing, even if you don't believe it, if someone else gains comfort from seeing a feather then it's all good.

lottieandmia Tue 12-Nov-13 23:08:02

This has only happened to me once that I could remember. After a night of worrying about something that frightened me I found a large, single white feather positioned on the floor in a place I could easily find it. When I saw it I felt relieved and that I could stop worrying

steff13 Tue 12-Nov-13 23:08:04

And lols at the 'long-term effects' of finding feathers! At a guess, I'd say an outside chance of collecting enough of them to stuff a pin cushion after a few years...

I found a feather on a piece of fried chicken one time, and the long-term effect was that I can still hardly eat fried chicken.

Ruralninja Tue 12-Nov-13 23:09:27

steff grin

Twitterqueen Tue 12-Nov-13 23:09:31

Stealth post by Any Fucker,,

If there are angels, I love them
If feathers mean I'm being cared for, I love that thought
If someone - anyone - anywhere - is watching over me I feel blessed.

#cos there are fuck all people here on earth who care for me (aside from my beautiful, fantastic, BRILLIANT DDs.

DeepThought Tue 12-Nov-13 23:10:04

An old country saying from round these parts is if a crow sits on your fence someone you know will die.

<looks at patchwork of higgledy fields with miles haphazard fencing suspiciously>

I think there is something in it. When I was a child, my friend and I was for ever hunting for the elusive golden feather. We would see them drop, and they shone like gold, but once we came near, it just looked like a regular feather. So disappointing.

Bear in mind, I saw men in our living room. Soldiers.
Only later was I told that the germans had a cabin where they stored fallen officers before transporting them home, on the site where our house was build.
In my neighbourhood, people had also seen hordes of people coming out from the sea, the Tirpitz was blown up nearby. No wonder there were so many golden feathers flying about.

Also, every time I was out rowing, I would look out for rainbow shells, they were so pretty, and I could not believe nature could make something so beautiful, a shell, in magnificent orange, purple and red.
And how come the shells were all white as soon as I picked them up and they were no longer in the water? wink

Mostly you will find there is Horseshit, and there is Truth. And sometimes, Truth is not what it seems, but closer to the laws of science.

CoteDAzur Tue 12-Nov-13 23:16:24

Oh Dione. Do you really have no limit to what you can believe? I mean, have you ever said to yourself "No, I won't believe that because it's just nonsense"?

Seriously. Long-term effects of angel feathers grin

HicDraconis Tue 12-Nov-13 23:16:31

I find a lot of feathers. It's either because I keep chickens or because the cat, in spite of loud bells on her collar, is a fab hunter.

I don't think the cat has brought in an angel yet (and while the eggs are amazing, I don't think I have angels squatting in my chook house either).

Pogosticks Tue 12-Nov-13 23:16:56

I started reading this feeling deprived that I know nothing of angel feathers. But now, I am rather jealous of the poster with a family Morris dancer! I want one. We have a family car, very useful and all that, but just think how much more jolly life would be with a family Morris dancer!

CoteDAzur Tue 12-Nov-13 23:18:48

steff grin

This thread has the makings of an MN classic.

DioneTheDiabolist Tue 12-Nov-13 23:22:52

Thank you Lottie and Quint.smile

Ruralninja Tue 12-Nov-13 23:24:50

quintessential I assume you are talking about the refraction of white light through water droplets giving a rainbow effect? Not sure about the other capers though from a scientific point of view!

CoteDAzur Tue 12-Nov-13 23:25:39

Bunny grin

And to think I got slated the other day for saying I'd used homeopathy - if only I'd known there was a thread about finding angel feathers I could have pointed all the critics over there instead...

Rural, you just have to distinguish between the Horseshit and the science, dont you. grin

This just proves again the length that humans will go to to find meaning or comfort themselves.

Ruralninja Tue 12-Nov-13 23:27:25

Dione sorry to break it to you but nobody has experienced angel feathers for the simple reason that they are made up. People may say they have, which is different. For that reason, in answer to your original AIBU, the answer is YABU.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now