To be sick of not being able to afford the heating on

(327 Posts)
KeepMeCalm13 Mon 11-Nov-13 19:41:46

Thankfully no children involved.

We are yet to have any form of heating on this autumn/winter as we just cannot afford the bill. We only have central heating, no fire. I'm currently sat in a t-shirt, thick jumper, dressing gown, jeans, 2 pairs of socks, and slippers and I've got a hot water bottle and I'm frozen. The thought of another 4 months of this makes me want to cry.

mrselgar Wed 20-Nov-13 09:23:31

Heartless, I tried the flowerpot heater thing yesterday and it was a disaster. I'm obviously doing it wrong.
I used a roasting tin as a base, with the pot resting on the edges. This meant air could flow. I tried normal length candles, but they kept going out; short candles burnt out leaving the pot luke warm.
What do you rest yours on, what sort of candles and how many?

On a more positive note, I used bubble wrap all over the windows and doors in my fridge of a utility room. It made a huge difference. It's now just moderately cold. Amazon do a 50m role for £11.59.

Divinity Thu 21-Nov-13 06:45:36

I thought the guy on YouTube used a roasting tin mrselgar? I don't have a ceramic pot so used three tea lights by themselves. It did take the edge off the cold but I didn't feel toasty.

My house is even colder now as the boiler has packed in. Good job I have a British gas contract. They were out within 2hours but have to come back today with a load of parts (stupid boiler was leaking mucky water). The electric fire is on, much to the joy of the cats who are dozing in front if it!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now