I think I may be - I am open to being told so anyway..... bitupset

(29 Posts)
JesuslovesmethisIknow Mon 11-Nov-13 18:16:18

My 3 DC started a new school today.

DC3 teacher when seeing out the kids to the playground told us briefly in twenty seconds how dc3 did (fine). DC2 teacher did the same (also fine). Great.

Before this though, whilst the playground was empty and I was waiting for DC 1 to appear (older) - a lady walked towards me as I was sitting on a bench. I presumed she was a teacher as she was dressed as one and heading from one building to another. I smiled, no smile back - thats fine people are busy. Another woman then met her coming from the opposite direction and they started discussing a child 'covertly (ish)' LITERALLY one foot in front of where I was sitting (in an otherwise deserted playground - I was way early). I felt uncomfortable as I thought 'hang on I am literally right behind you guys'. In truth, I thought 'that is not very professional'. I then heard my ds name sad and some derogatory comment from one to the other like 'I tested his reading (I was told they would do this today so I thought hang on you ARE talking about my dc1). The second woman said his reading was X age and then some whispers and then a word like 'interesting' but in a scathing way. The blonde woman replied something equally as unimpressed. I was [shocked].

Both then went on their way then but i feel very uncomfortable having been exposed to their chat :/

When dc 1 came out of school I greeted him (he was fine). I did not see a teacher and thought eek what should I do.... so I popped my head round his classroom door (he took me back in) and the blonde woman was there. He said that is my teacher. She was obviously busy and clearing the class room now the class was gone. She was not coming out and I did not want to appear pushy and barge in so I didn't but I feel a bit meh about the experience with this teacher.

I actually feel a bit P'd off and am not sure why.

My first day nerves?

<please be gentle>

BackforGood Mon 11-Nov-13 18:54:39

What monica and soapboxqueen said.
Because, although it was unfortunate you heard them talking about ds, what they actually said wasn't derogatory or anything - I don't think you will be building strong relationships with the new school if you go complaining to the HT on the first day.
I think the coming out of school issue is not related. You've not given his age, but it's likely he was in the Junior school if he's the eldest of 3 at school, so, no, I wouldn't expect the teacher to have to accompany him out. Juniors walk out to their parents on their own in all schools I've had anything to do with.

WooWooOwl Mon 11-Nov-13 18:59:47

How old is your ds? If he's Y3 or above, I wouldn't expect anyone to come out and talk to you.

The teachers were wrong for letting anyone overhear their conversation, but I wouldn't go in with a complaint just yet. It will not do you or your children any favours.

JesuslovesmethisIknow Mon 11-Nov-13 19:05:24

youre right.

no complaint. I was just feeling bothered. Not so now. feel better having even discussed it on here....

Thank you !

HarrietSchulenberg Mon 11-Nov-13 19:05:34

Couple of things:

Did they actually name your ds (first and surname) or does he have a particularly unusual name that made him uniquely identifiable? If so, then yes, they were out of order but if not then they haven't actually specifically identified your child so have not really been unprofessional.

How early were you? You say the playground was deserted so it sounds like you really were very early, and it might be that you actually should not have been on school property at that time. Ds2's school keeps the gates locked until just before letting out time, and Ds3's school regularly reminds parents that they shouldn't be in the playground until 10 minutes before pick up. If they didn't actually know you they really should have challenged you as you could have been a complete stranger - in fact I'd find the lack of challenge more worrying than the outdoor discussion.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now