Note: Please bear in mind that whilst this topic does canvass opinions, it is not a fight club. You may disagree with other posters but we do ask you please to stick to our Talk Guidelines and to be civil. We don't allow personal attacks or troll-hunting. Do please report any. Thanks, MNHQ.

To want my DD to be born a week before or after my due date due to others birthdays

(61 Posts)
Hotmad Mon 11-Nov-13 17:55:53

My boyfriends sister and my best friends daughter both have birthdays 1 day either side of my due date, I would like my DD to have birthday a little bit separated from these 2 events.....

YANBU - I knew DD was going to be late so I hoped she'd be born at Hallowe'en as it's a cool date. Nothing wrong with hoping smile Of course, they never do what you want (DD was an extra 4 days late and shares a preBonfire Night birthday with a close friend instead 11 days lateOMG ) We all know you'll be happy whatever.

Hotmad Mon 11-Nov-13 23:59:31

As I said elskovs, I was not serious..... I am new to mumsnet and from what I saw, this section can be a bit tongue in cheek. I am a first time mum and more than anything want my baby to be healthy and happy over anything else. What you said made me feel guilty, then I realised that you do not know me and I shouldn't take your judgement to heart, I didn't feel there was a need for you to be so judgemental when you do not know me or my circumstances. Wish I could delete the post now but apparently I can't. Maybe I'm a hormonal pregnant nutty woman for possibly overreacting this way but that upset me.

TarkaTheOtter Tue 12-Nov-13 00:48:21

Don't be sad or feel guilty hotmad, it was pretty obvious your op was lighthearted.

IRCL Tue 12-Nov-13 00:54:25

YANBU OP, I'm due dc2 on the 17th, my nephews birthday is the 16th, It's my daughters on the 19th and my other nephews on the 20th!!!

Crazy

elskovs Tue 12-Nov-13 00:54:32

Gosh yes you are overreacting! Why on Earth would you feel guilty?

I was hardly attacking you, just saying, you must have a lot of spare time on your hands!

Definitely stay out of AIBU until you are feeling less delicate!!

Weegiemum Tue 12-Nov-13 01:01:03

YABU, these things work out.

My dd1 was born on 6/2. Ds was due on 13/2 (2 years on). So, as dd1 was early, it was always going to be close, really.

He turned up early, late on 3/2 (10 days early - reckon it's the only time he'll ever be on time!!) and missed my Dad's birthday by a whisker. I'd joked "ha ha if he's born on Dad's birthday I'll give him Dad's name" even though we'd agreed a first name (original) and middle name (dh's Grandfather). So we stuck my Dad's name in too - ds loves all the "hey look at all my names!" stuff (he's 11).

So my dad, who always thought his birthday was unique in our family, ended up being bracketed by 2 grandchildren - now have family birthdays on 3/2, 4/2, 6/2.

And it's great. It's fun. We do joint cakes if we visit. My dad sees it as a great thing that 2 of his grand kids (almost) share his birthday. But in our family it's kind of a tradition - our wedding anniversary is my step mums birthday (and she's my real mum in spirit), my brother got married on my sills birthday - there are more!

Sharing birthdays is ok (even now when dd1 is coming up 14, ds coming up 11). Dd2 (10 this month) is actually cross that her birthday doesn't match with anyone!!

And you know what - no one cares

hyenafunk Tue 12-Nov-13 08:44:33

My DS was due on my DF's birthday. We actually found it pretty cool that they might share a birthday but in the end he was three days late. It's never affected anything and I don't really see how it would... But I guess when it's your first DC you want them to be special and individual and all the rest.

I remember always hating it when someone used DS's name. I actually fell out with someone I felt had copied his name (they used a different variation of his middle name as the first name and his first name as the middle name). Now with 3 DC I couldn't care less.

Floggingmolly Tue 12-Nov-13 08:50:52

God almighty hmm

<Idly wonders who on this thread would best be described as "a hormonal pregnant nutty woman for possibly overreacting". Decides it's not the OP>

YANBU. DS was due two days before DH's birthday, but was finally induced 4 days before mine. And all shortly after Christmas. It's rubbish! I'm considering celebrating the cat's birthday just to give us an excuse to eat cake in the void which is the rest of the year. grin

Quoteunquote Tue 12-Nov-13 10:55:43

Seriously ridiculous, I really hope you were just bored and wanted to start a thread.

Writerwannabe83 Tue 12-Nov-13 10:57:22

I think the OP was joking grin

Nothing wrong with a bit of silliness on a Tuesday morning smile

You should have thought about this 9 months ago, shouldn't you?
wink

Writerwannabe83 Tue 12-Nov-13 11:01:44

My baby is due at an undesirable time smile

When I told my sister me and DH were TTC she said, "Just make sure it isn't a March baby...."

Baby is due on March 24th smile
Thankfully she laughed when I 'broke the news' smile

Mattissy Tue 12-Nov-13 11:03:17

My birthday is on the 10th, my sisters is the 12th. We love it, never shared a party ever, my mam would never have allowed that. She would spend the day between arranging the second party, in fact the 11th is officially "the day between" in our family.

SilverApples Tue 12-Nov-13 11:03:58

I didn't want to share my birthday with DS, and very obligingly, he turned up two weeks early. smile

Dobbiesmum Tue 12-Nov-13 11:07:07

My MIL almost wept when she found out my birthday month, my DH's side have 12 birthdays in the same month, 5 of us on consecutive days!!
Joking or not, you are soon NBU! grin

AdoraBell Tue 12-Nov-13 11:08:11

Speaking as someone who was told

"you'll have To avoid X month, we have too many that month already"

(and she wasn't joking.)

YAB a slight bit U, but not in an over blown way.

romina Tue 12-Nov-13 19:37:12

Hate to break it to you but your baby will be sharing a day with thousands of others, no matter what day he/she arrives....

lighthousesea Tue 12-Nov-13 19:39:43

YABU - be grateful to have a healthy baby smile

DawnOfTheDee Tue 12-Nov-13 19:44:04

DD2 is due 2 days after DD1's birthday. It would be fab if she could be say a week or so late. This would also take her birthday to just after payday which would mean slightly less shit parties/presents. Her call..... wink

BackforGood Tue 12-Nov-13 19:48:08

I have to agree with Baroness Bomburst - some people need to understand that, whereas MN can be great when you need real help with a serious problem, it is also OK to post idle ponderings as you go about your day, and it wasn't hard to see that was what the OP was doing in this case.

jacks365 Tue 12-Nov-13 20:02:07

I always said my eldest wouldn't be born on her due date. She's always done her best to prove me wrong. Ignore the grumpy ones its a long time ago but I still remember the excitement and anticipation of 'when will she be born'

Hotmad Tue 12-Nov-13 20:37:22

Thank you to those who understood that it was a little bit of a jokey thread, being new to this forum I wonder if any place here for banter? May be I over react but as new mum It's not nice to hear that people thought that when
Baby is born is more important to me than being healthy. That's all. I like mumsnet though, being pregnant and an upcoming mum has opened up a whole new world to me and it's nice to see what others do and how they cope.

I'd try chat - people can be a bit arsey on AIBU where they wouldn't if it was posted under another topic.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now