Note: Please bear in mind that whilst this topic does canvass opinions, it is not a fight club. You may disagree with other posters but we do ask you please to stick to our Talk Guidelines and to be civil. We don't allow personal attacks or troll-hunting. Do please report any. Thanks, MNHQ.

To hate my neighbours

(73 Posts)
slickrick Mon 11-Nov-13 15:04:58

We put black metal sheeting on the gates to stop the dog barking at anyone who walks past, now they've reported me to the council. I spent a lot of money having the sheets soldered on and sprayed not realizing that I needed planning permission.
I hate them, they are so mean AIBU?

binger Tue 12-Nov-13 10:21:00

they are petty and that would have pissed me off no end. Re the tree, next time prune their tree yourself and lob the branches into their garden.

sue52 Tue 12-Nov-13 10:07:18

Oh dear, it does sound like you have miserable vindictive neighbours who enjoy moaning. Just try your best to ignore them and please yourself as nothing you do will ever be right for them.

Chopstheduck Tue 12-Nov-13 09:23:32

Problem is, you jsut can't win with inconsiderate neighbours sad

'I am planning on building a kennel outside so he can bark until his hearts content if I have to take them down LOL-

- then you will get in trouble for having a dog barking all hours.

Our neighbours pruned half of our tree for us. It looks fucking stupid now, and the tree surgeon only did it properly last year. They promised not to do it again hmm
They have a tv blaring out all the time, the Enviromental Health warned them it was a statutory nuisance, they turned it down for a bit, then it goes up a bit. They are clever enough to keep it quiet often enough that we probably can't prosecute, but 2-3 nights a week it's up so loud we have to go to bed to get away from it.
They stole our kids ball, even told the police they don't have it. We couldn't retrieve it though, or that would be trespassing.

At the end of the day it is your word against theirs and there isn't a lot you can do if someone wants to be horrible. When our neighbours complained about our BBQ, we moved it. We asked them in return to turn their tv down, and they've been arseholes ever since.

I really feel for you, now you explained it all properly.

IAlwaysThought Mon 11-Nov-13 22:21:19

I hope you didn't pay the tree surgeon for the nieghbours work? That would be daft (sorry OP blush ) The tree surgeon must have been even more daft though confused

BabyMummy29 Mon 11-Nov-13 22:09:05

They sound like my neighbours - not happy unless they have something to complain about.

As soon as we get one problem sorted out ( which are just everyday happenings in normal life) they move on to something else,

In the end we had to get the community warden involved

slickrick Mon 11-Nov-13 22:05:55

You know if you take the metal sheeting down they are then going to complain about the dog barking don't you?

Oh yes (evil laugh) I am planning on building a kennel outside so he can bark until his hearts content if I have to take them down LOL

SarahAndFuck Mon 11-Nov-13 21:03:39

You know if you take the metal sheeting down they are then going to complain about the dog barking don't you?

I realise this isn't helpful, but I'd bet on it happening.

ilovelymum Mon 11-Nov-13 20:37:58

I live with my family in Kensington and the neighbours are the most evil creatures. every one of them is a living rerun of the THE DEVIL WEARS PRADA every one of them never wears the thing twis and they look down on me for not doing the same

I tried to get planning permission for a large barbieq area to be put up but Miss My husbands a banker says it'll ruin her view and frighten the cat she does not own

Neighbours suck

zipzap Mon 11-Nov-13 20:14:04

Ah sorry op, I misread the bit about the trees and thought you'd asked the tree surgeon to do all the tree.

That will teach me not to read mn, cook a roast supper and try to sort out ds1's homework all at the same time! blush

And yes - bloody cheeky of the neighbours to increase your bill - and of the tree surgeon to do the work and expect you to pay for it without checking with you first.

Iris445 Mon 11-Nov-13 19:17:24

Bad neighbours are a nightmare.
Little notes are the way forward..we are having fireworks, sorry for any noise. Type of thing. If you have gates you can then just ignore them then.

We have a neighbour that moans I just do the " oh dear poor you" response. She complains about the lack of sun in her garden ( she blocks her own light) and how much sun we have ( big garden) she even told my children we have all the sun! She's crazy.

ElfontheShelfIsWATCHINGYOUTOO Mon 11-Nov-13 19:04:20

Slickrick

Don't let the bastards grind you down.

It sounds like you are going to have lots more to deal with from them in future, so I would look to changing how you deal with them and feel about them.

breathing techniques, yoga?

So glad everyone finally caught up with the thread. smile

Kikibee Mon 11-Nov-13 18:56:47

Did your tree surgeon chappy do their side? And if so, did you pay?

They sound absolute cunts angry

Strumpetron Mon 11-Nov-13 18:48:53

OP now you have elaborated I agree you neighbours sound a pain in the arse smile

slickrick Mon 11-Nov-13 18:33:14

I did ask their permission. They had pruned half their tree for years, my house was derelict before I moved in so they had more than enough opportunities to trim a bit off my side without offending anyone.
I didnt want this lovely old tree to look misshapen so I cut it to match what they had done. They obviously thought that if they got their side done again it would save them £££ in the future.

digerd Mon 11-Nov-13 18:31:00

OP
My neighbour who has the front gate has one like that and it looks lovely.
Glad you are feeling better now. Sorry about your nasty neighbours < I have one attached to me>

zipzap Mon 11-Nov-13 18:27:44

I would be annoyed if a neighbour organised for a tree on my property to be pruned without talking to me first, no matter how well intentioned they were or the fact they were paying for it.

If they had already had their side pruned then they may well have been happy with where it had been pruned to and not want it pruned back further. For example - my mum always thinks I should prune some trees in my garden further back than we have them as she adores sun. We prefer privacy and shade. If she was my neighbour and had organised her half of the tree to be cut back to where she likes it - and then got her tree surgeon to do that to my half of the tree - she would be thinking that she was doing a really nice thing while I would be spitting mad at what she'd had done.

Maybe something like this has happened here? Not enough communication...

29chapel Mon 11-Nov-13 18:24:39

you need wine grin

slickrick Mon 11-Nov-13 18:14:37

Thank you so much. I feel much better now x

Ilanthe Mon 11-Nov-13 18:11:58

No problem OP, us Council jobsworths have their uses wink

Mylovelyboy Mon 11-Nov-13 18:06:36

Op its awful you have to live like this. You have no doubt spent alot of time and effort in creating a lovely family home and you have to endure those muppets next door. I honestly do feel for you thanks

digerd Mon 11-Nov-13 18:04:31

Councils are not interested in privately owned properties, unless the fence or hedging is over the height limit, or a neighbour has done something to endanger the public.
We have semis and the passage ways have been gated up to prevent intruders walking through to the back. We do not have gates by the pavement, except one neighbour who has a very short frontage and is of normal height. My council told me this.
Your neighbour sounds horrible and expect the previous owners moved because of them and the oak tree.

slickrick Mon 11-Nov-13 18:01:31

Oh thank you Llanthe that's so helpful.

My DH works away a lot and I have 4 children to look after I really dont need this constant hassle from neighbours. It all started when they asked to look inside at what I have done to the house I didn't want them to come in as the place was a tip LOL I think they took offence to this and told the other neighbours I was horrible.

I wish I had never moved here.

Mylovelyboy Mon 11-Nov-13 17:58:13

OP I thought these were your gates and that was your house. I was going to invite myself round for brew

Ilanthe Mon 11-Nov-13 17:56:48

Ah right that makes sense now, not built in accordance with approved plans. You need a minor material or non material amendment application. Ask the Council which. If it's the latter you're pretty much guaranteed a permission.

slickrick Mon 11-Nov-13 17:54:04

My gates are the metal type with railings I couldnt find a picture theyre the same size as the other gates. We applied for planning permission to have the gates this was accepted we didnt get permission for the sheeting there for we are in breech of the original acceptance.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now