Note: Please bear in mind that whilst this topic does canvass opinions, it is not a fight club. You may disagree with other posters but we do ask you please to stick to our Talk Guidelines and to be civil. We don't allow personal attacks or troll-hunting. Do please report any. Thanks, MNHQ.

to feed my baby chips and fishfingers?

(31 Posts)
sausagessausages Mon 11-Nov-13 14:09:27

I'm doing baby-led weaning with my 8 month old and we're going out for a pub lunch next week.

People always seem to use chips as an example of awful food to feed babies but he loves potatoes, they are easy to handle and obviously I wouldn't use salt. Apart from that its just the fat content, which I didn't think was a particular issue for babies. Is there something I'm missing that is really bad?

The fish finger thing is slightly different as they would be (maybe) a more regular event. As I see it the good quality ones are fish (good) with a bit of breadcrumb (fine), but it feels wrong for some reason I can't put my finger on.

I'm now bracing myself for lots of comments about how stupid blw-ers are!

We were given a weaning session in our area and discussed BLW. Two foods that they mentioned were great for baby's little hands were fish fingers (they suggested removing the coating however) and chunky chips! The fatter the chip the less oil they will absorb. If you were being extra cautious you could even remove the crispy outside from the chip too!

sausagessausages Tue 12-Nov-13 14:15:53

That is amazing IAFUDS! The more i think about it the more I am worried about other people's opinions rather than what I actually think is good/bad in terms of health. I'm off to put some fish fingers under the grill!

CrohnicallyTired Tue 12-Nov-13 15:49:51

I fed DD quality fish fingers minus the coating from quite early on. The fish is a nice texture for her to eat (she didn't have any teeth till 9 months) and you don't have the worry of bones like with an actual piece of fish. By the way, she has never actually choked on food, she gags occasionally but remember that is a protective mechanism to stop them choking.

CrohnicallyTired Tue 12-Nov-13 15:52:26

Oh- give peas a try, DD developed her pincer grip at around 8-9 months, I'm convinced it was a result of BLW- what better incentive than food to motivate her!

PollyIndia Tue 12-Nov-13 15:55:56

When DS was 6.5 months we went to a lovely fish and chips restaurant in pembrokeshire and he had a few chips and some of my battered monkfish. He seemed to like it. I didn't do BLW but I never pureed anything either so he started with finger foods.

ElenorRigby Tue 12-Nov-13 17:51:14

Fish fingers and chips fine, avoid juice or any sugary drinks though

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now