to ask what you do if you are self employed/work at home

(289 Posts)
PocketFluff Mon 11-Nov-13 08:58:45

In a few threads recently people have talked about being self employed, some only doing a few hours a week, or being able to have a work at home job that fits around the children.

Can I be nosey and ask what it is you do and get a bit of the action myself?

hottiebottie Mon 11-Nov-13 10:10:11

Another translator here. smile

FookingHat Mon 11-Nov-13 10:13:50

Graphic designer, freelance.

NynaevesSister Mon 11-Nov-13 10:14:17

Another writer. I used to work for a publishing company but the commute and stressful hours were a killer. I loathe working for myself but I love being able to fit work in around school run etc.

CocacolaMum Mon 11-Nov-13 10:17:16

Crafter here smile I cannot really say what I do without outing myself cus its a bit niche but I love it and am 8 yrs into it!

JackShit Mon 11-Nov-13 10:22:39

Singer

headoverheels Mon 11-Nov-13 10:24:46

Marking assignments for students in my profession.

duckyfuzz Mon 11-Nov-13 10:29:06

Education consultant - some online monitoring of trainee teachers, some in-school consultancy, some writing of policies/training plans - enough variety and contact with real people to keep me sane, but without the day to day insanity of gove!

BadgerBumBag Mon 11-Nov-13 10:29:34

I was a childminder until the summer and now I have taken a massive pay cut to make bunting, quilts, cushions, bags, brooches. I break even though and make a little on top smile

Lazysuzanne Mon 11-Nov-13 10:32:03

Online seller (health and diet related products)

Love the freedom and solitude of working from home

accounts manager. I work from home and office. Now the children are at school/nursery I usually work in the office 10-3, and schedule any client appointments for hose times. I then work from home, answering calls and the odd email whilst the children are about, but then when they are in bed I catch up with invoicing, balances, reconciliations etc.

I'm studying for my accountancy qualifications so that I can move to the next level.

Interpreting.

PrimalLass Mon 11-Nov-13 10:37:31

Publishing services (editing, proofreading, project management).

Oddsocksrus Mon 11-Nov-13 10:39:51

I write for trade press publications, I give marketing and PR guidance to businesses in my sector, I chair a charity.. I work 4 days per week plus a couple of evenings and the odd Sunday to get all this done but I am available for all school events, do about 75% of the school runs too.

These used to be my full time employed job, amazingly I managed to drop the dross and keep most of the stuff that makes my brain work when I quit after maternity leave. I work for 5 companies instead of 1 now, its great, best thing I ever did

IsSpringSprangedYet Mon 11-Nov-13 10:45:13

I currently do the books for DH and hopefully when the little baby isn't so little, I can be more practical. Like a part time farm hand.

I also want to join the committee for DS3 pre-school (they are desperate sad), and maybe do at bit more at the primary school, although those aren't paid/SE jobs.

MmeGuillotine Mon 11-Nov-13 11:11:36

I'm a novelist.

mumblechum1 Mon 11-Nov-13 11:17:24

I run my own will writing business. It's supposed to be part time as I also have a day job 2.5 days a week but the will writing is taking over almost all my spare time now.

HarpyFishwifeTwat Mon 11-Nov-13 11:28:36

Writing. And the odd admin bits for DH's business

RafflesWay Mon 11-Nov-13 11:42:33

Bespoke travel consultant - self employed - for past 15 years. Love it and can't imagine doing anything else now.

mumteedum Mon 11-Nov-13 11:43:26

Can I jump on bandwagon here and ask those freelance designers how they manage sporadic childcare?

I was a freelancer in a related discipline (again bit niche so not going to out self) but haven't figured out how I could manage to go back now I have DS. I do teaching PT which I love and hope to develop but it's not enough money and I miss being hands on. No family nearby and DH not helpful with childcare so I haven't figured it all out as most childcare has to be set hours, not 3 months full time and then nothing for a bit!

Holistictherapies Mon 11-Nov-13 11:44:42

I am a Massage Therapist and this year became a NYR Organic Consultant (Neal's Yard Remedies products)

paulagil Mon 11-Nov-13 11:48:01

I'm self-employed with an internet business and I spend all day on Mumsnet. I don't earn a lot of money, TBH.

SantiagoToots Mon 11-Nov-13 11:48:32

Startup consultant.

NettleTea Mon 11-Nov-13 11:57:28

I manage PIL's farm, run a glampycampsite, and am a Forest school leader. I am also a qualified and practicing (a little bit) medical herbalist, make kids clothes, dye wool and make cloth nappies.
Variety being the spice of life and all.

froubylou Mon 11-Nov-13 12:13:55

I give legal advice to landlord's and letting agents. And do the books for dps building company.

I can earn decent money if I want to. It depends how much time I put into it. At the moment I am 34 weeks pregnant so taking it easy. But hopefully come April time I will hopefully be able to get back into it.

House of Colour consultant.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now