to ask what you do if you are self employed/work at home

(289 Posts)
PocketFluff Mon 11-Nov-13 08:58:45

In a few threads recently people have talked about being self employed, some only doing a few hours a week, or being able to have a work at home job that fits around the children.

Can I be nosey and ask what it is you do and get a bit of the action myself?

pianodoodle Mon 11-Nov-13 09:02:03

I teach music smile

SillyTilly123 Mon 11-Nov-13 09:03:36

I'm not technically employed, but dp has his own gardening business and my job is to drive him about (because he doesn't drive hmm) and do the books/make appointments etc. I think next year i'll put myself on the books though so I can "earn" too.

AngelsLieToKeepControl Mon 11-Nov-13 09:05:34

I started a small business, I paint furniture, murals, canvas (usually childrens characters) and I also do memory boxes and other bits and bobs. I started a few months ago and am doing really well so far, although I have had to cancel doing a few murals this month since I broke my ankle sad which is the down side to being self employed, I don't get any sick pay.

ilovesooty Mon 11-Nov-13 09:07:50

I'm a counsellor in private practice in addition to working full time.

Brittapie Mon 11-Nov-13 09:08:00

I've done ok in the past doing the direct selling type things (Ann Summers, Usborne, Avon) but you do need to be a certain type of person to be successful.

ChrisTheSheep Mon 11-Nov-13 09:11:27

I do publicity for an educational charity run by friends.

MaeMobley Mon 11-Nov-13 09:18:16

accountant/ bookkeeper.

Contraryish Mon 11-Nov-13 09:22:23

Translator

Joysmum Mon 11-Nov-13 09:22:43

I do up buy to lets up and then manage them myself.

I do childcare SE around my two nanny jobs. Usually babysitting but some stuff during the day when I can too.

From home (and when I babysit) I knit stuff. I haven't started selling yet but I have an original theme for knitting so hopefully it'll be popular when I do start selling in the New Year smile

ComtesseDeSpair Mon 11-Nov-13 09:29:12

I'm a researcher and policy wonk with a national charity. I can work from home about 85% of the time or whenever I don't have to attend meetings or supervise the rest of my team. (Although perhaps oddly, I often choose to go to the office anyway as I like the atmosphere and contact with colleagues and the outside world.)

I've not always been able to work from home, though - only as my work has evolved to the point that it generally makes no difference where my desk is - and there's also been a fair bit of negotiation with my line manager and rest of the team. I think working from home requires more motivation especially if you're prone to procrastination generally!

WilsonFrickett Mon 11-Nov-13 09:29:14

Copy writer/poet/aspiring novelist if I ever get the bloody book finished.

strawberriesandplumbs Mon 11-Nov-13 09:32:28

Local magazine/advertising and buy to let.

MiserableCowWhenUpTheDuff Mon 11-Nov-13 09:33:59

Online seller...

We sell jewellery online (through amazon and our own site) it allows me and OH to both work from home smile

SummerRain Mon 11-Nov-13 09:37:04

I work for several market research companies, mostly mystery shopping but we do online projects too which can be done at home. I also do dps books and do all the administration and running of his business. And I do freelance work when I can get it,business admin, writing up documentation and whatever else comes my way.

I've just stated a new job wohm though and I have to say it's great to get out of the house, being stuck at home constantly was tougher than you'd think... I was starting to feel really isolated.

PocketFluff Mon 11-Nov-13 09:45:54

Wow, a real range of jobs here!

moldingsunbeams Mon 11-Nov-13 09:51:30

Editor and online sales.

Working at home full time is ok as long as you have a social network outside of work, friends or family you speak to regularly or you can go a little mad. I have a friend who works from home like me and as both our dc now walk to school alone we can both go weeks without talking to anyone in person other than a shop person and the dc.

LittleMissGreen Mon 11-Nov-13 09:54:13

I worked as a self-employed software engineer/web designer for a few years.

SharpLily Mon 11-Nov-13 09:54:49

I write and proof read. Sometimes there's a little translation thrown in too.

I am childminder during the day, a cake maker and crafter at night!

cakewitch Mon 11-Nov-13 09:59:51

I make cakes

Anchoress Mon 11-Nov-13 10:00:23

Writer.

oldnewmummy Mon 11-Nov-13 10:01:50

Technical writing and consulting. I also do a bit of lecturing, but that's not from home (obviously).

OnlyThePurpleOnes Mon 11-Nov-13 10:07:43

Freelance graphic designer. Sometimes I have in-house contracts lasting anywhere from a week to a month, otherwise i'm working for private clients from home or from a freelance workspace.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now