To try and lose 10lbs in 2 weeks

(36 Posts)
Ghanagirl Sun 10-Nov-13 18:02:16

Have decided (forced) to go back to work absolutely broke but have put on around 10lbs in last year. Tried on work clothes and they are too tight feel depressed and p'd off not hugely overweight but feel uncomfortable and miserable, my DH has been reassuring me (lying) that I look fine, but the fact is I can't get into my old smart clothes and can't afford new ones, advice please, but be kind my self esteem is around 2 out of 10hmm

Joysmum Sun 10-Nov-13 23:03:21

Depends how it's done and the starting point stumpetron. My was done on doctors recommendation so it's not always bad or unhealthy in all cases but having read the OP I wail advise against given the info provided and lack of knowledge and professional supervision.

Alisvolatpropiis Sun 10-Nov-13 23:00:42

I would exercise and make consciously healthy food choices.

You probably won't lose 10lbs in 2 weeks, more like 6lb maximum. But heathy food and exercise will alter your shape a bit in that time, which will help with how your clothes are fitting. It will make a difference.

There's lots of good exercise routines about if you google them. Ones you can fit in to your daily life quite easily rather than "do it for an hour a day FOREVER" style ones.

Strumpetron Sun 10-Nov-13 22:59:14

People have said it is possible, however it isn't recommended or safe. And no-one should be advocating it.

Some people seem to think they are nutrition experts after reading a few articles on the deficit or MyFitnessPal.

Joysmum Sun 10-Nov-13 22:55:33

A lot of people on here who don't know what they are talking about!

It's perfectly possible to lose 10lb in 2 weeks, I've even done it in a week!

However, what you're after losing is 10lb of fat not 10lb of glycogen and water which will go straight back on when you eat more energy than you need again and start to top up your depleted glycogen and associated water reserves.

1lb of fat require an energy intake deficit of 3500kcals to shift, so to shift 10lbs you need to eat 35000kcals less than your body requires equating to 2500kcals less than your body needs per day. Given the recommended intake for women is only 2000kcals a day this makes losing 10lb of fat over only 2 weeks highly unlikely.

Having said all that, I did when I had 6.5 stone to lose but it's not the norm for someone not particularly overweight with average levels of activity.

Slimming world! It is a great plan, great results and no hunger smile

Nottalotta Sun 10-Nov-13 22:03:02

Oops - missed out two healthy fats - ie two tbsp olive oil - per day.

Drink plenty of water and green tea if you can stomach it.

Nottalotta Sun 10-Nov-13 22:00:25

17 day diet. I lost 10lbs in 17 days. Basically as follows:

Juice half lemon in water and drink first thing.
Two fruits a day before 2pm
Two probiotics a day (i had activia 0% fat snack pots)
You can have 2 eggs a day plus unlimited egg white.
Lean protein : tuna, chicken breast, turkey. Salmon.
Veg. No carbs. (so no potatos, sweet potato, parsnips - some veg aren't allowed but most are)

Thats it!

Well, thats cycle one for the first 17 days. There are four cycles.

aquashiv Sun 10-Nov-13 21:59:11

Forget the diet life is too short.

aquashiv Sun 10-Nov-13 21:58:09

Have you a Helen Douglas House near you? Love that shop lovely clothes.

SlangKing Sun 10-Nov-13 21:53:12

Hi, Ghana. Dunno if this'll help but it might. I'm a small guy - barely 5'5" - who's always been a svelt 8st 7lbs EXCEPT for a period in the early 2000's when I weighed 10st. Like you I found I couldn't fit in my 'good' clothes anymore. I got a new job about 3 miles from home and decided to cycle to it. I don't drive so it wasn't a difficult choice, though I'd barely been on a bike in 20 years. I figured I'd lose the excess weight in no time,,, but found that fat works in mysterious ways. After about 4 weeks of cycling to work n back,,, no change at all apart from feeling fitter. Then, over the next 2 or 3 weeks it ALL just dropped off. You'd have to ask an expert why it works that way,, but it did. I was always happy to chase after balls and shuttlecocks,,, but can't think of anything more loathesome than a gym. THAT kind of exercise I CANNOT do. So, if your new job is a mile or more away,, consider cycling to it. If that's impractical, maybe some other kind of regular activity that your new income will pay for. 10lb ain't a lot and if it came as a result of a sedentary period chances are you can lose it again with a bit of exercise and NO dieting. For the period before the blubber drops off, will friends or family loan/give you blouses and skirts? Male shirts will suffice if needs be,,, if anyone even notices the buttons on the wrong side it's not gonna get you sacked.

impatienttobemummy Sun 10-Nov-13 21:03:22

Dukan diet, it can be done. On the first week I always lose 7lbs.. 2 weeks a dress size down.

VodIsGod Sun 10-Nov-13 21:00:59

You could try the 7lb in 7 days juice diet. Worked for me and have kept it off. You prob don't need to lose all 10lb to fit back into your clothes.

Inglori0us Sun 10-Nov-13 20:55:55

I did Slimming World and lost 8lb in first 2 weeks, then 2.5 stone over 4 months. It's great and you get to eat loads of normal food.
And the 30 Day Shred is great. It's on YouTube. It's a short (but brutal) workout!
Good luck!!

Financeprincess Sun 10-Nov-13 20:51:48

Ten pounds of what? It won't be ten pounds of fat!

Ghanagirl Sun 10-Nov-13 20:51:22

Joined weightwatchers 3weeks ago but weight has increasedhmm

Strumpetron Sun 10-Nov-13 20:50:28

Not safe and not advisable.

Especially because it's rare to see results in the first week anyway

Dont put this pressure on your body and mind. You'd be better aiming for 1-2lbs a week, a safe weight to lose

honeybunny14 Sun 10-Nov-13 20:48:13

No just been cutting out the junk but i do want to try a special diet have you any in mind op ?

Coconutty Sun 10-Nov-13 20:27:38

Do The Shred. It really works. I like the slimfast diet too if I need to shift weight quickly and I second Spanx.

gaggiagirl Sun 10-Nov-13 20:25:36

ghana why not try the shred? A great exercise DVD. Even after 4 days of shredding i was seeing results. So why not try inch loss through exercise as well as pound loss through gentle dieting.
Your a similar height and the same size as me so why not try sticking to 1200 calories a day.

Ghanagirl Sun 10-Nov-13 20:15:03

Catgirl1976, I'm 5'3 so 10bs makes big difference, even prior to weight gain I was slim but never skinny, despite DH saying he hadn't noticed me putting on weight he had to stifle a giggle whilst trying to zip up 2 of my old work dresses!!
I know it's a totally "first world" issue still feel craphmm

catgirl1976fucker Sun 10-Nov-13 18:40:03

You could do it, but you will feel ill and miserable and pile it back on

Dukan worked very well for me for shifting weight quickly. I probably lost 7lbs in 2 weeks on that.

It was very hard to stick to though and the weight loss plateaued a bit after that (I think it's a lot of water etc you loose at first) but it does work, just not quiet at the level you would like

I think if you set yourself too hard a target you will get discouraged quickly IYSWIM. Maybe try 10lb over a month? It will be more achievable and better for your health

At a size 8 though you are probably very slim anyway, as if 10lb only takes you up one dress size you must be tall? I imagine if you were very petite then 10lb would make a lot more difference.

fairylightsintheautumn Sun 10-Nov-13 18:34:50

There's nothing worse than clothes feeling tight. Really, go to the supermarkets or Matalan and get a pair of black trousers and a black skirt and just mix them round with different jumpers. My friend wears a black trouser suit to work every single day and has done for the 12 years I have known her. No-one cares or comments. In terms of weight loss, 10lb in two weeks is going some but for me, going low carb helps me lose tummy fat pretty fast.

NuggetofPurestGreen Sun 10-Nov-13 18:21:21

Ghana if you're only a size 8 it would be near impossible to lose weight that quickly. I'd say even ten pounds in a month would be very hard without doing something mad like the maple syrup diet. And you'd just put it back on.

Beccagain Sun 10-Nov-13 18:19:34

Well hard as I find it to sympathise with someone who is clearly svelte and gorgeous, is there any way you can get away with layering your current clothes so that you can eg, wear a skirt half zipped with a loose blouse over the top and a cardi over that. Hardly high fashion but then I'm size 18 and bloody old I honestly think 10lbs in two weeks is a really big ask for someone who is probably at a healthy weight anyway unlike me.

Laquitar Sun 10-Nov-13 18:19:18

I meant 'it will make you feel good'. Sorry.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now