In thinking my 7 month DD doesn't need a bloody coat?

(66 Posts)
BoohPear Sun 10-Nov-13 15:03:39

I put a cardigan on her to go between house/car etc and just add blankets/hat when she goes in the pram so she's not cold. My mum keeps insisting she must wear a coat but I just can't see the need.

AIBU? When would she wear it?!

NoComet Mon 11-Nov-13 15:15:25

DDs had a light weight fleece jacket, easy to wash and dry over night. If V cold I stuck a cardigan underneath.

Thick coats are hopeless, get dirty, don't dry, need taking off in the car and are too hot in shops.

Snow suits are even worse. DD1 would not wear one, she simply screamed unless it was -5°C.

Pushchair had a cosy toes and a blanket, so sleeping babies could be tucked up outside and quietly uncovered in shops.

ThisWayForCrazy Mon 11-Nov-13 14:54:31

I would buy a coat, a blanket doesn't wrap round her arms and can be pushed away or kicked off.

GoldenGytha Mon 11-Nov-13 14:37:05

My youngest DD is 20 now, and I'm trying to think back,

Pretty sure that when they were in the pram I just put a matinee jacket/cardigan over their clothes, usually a sleepsuit or dress and tights, and blankets over that.

When they were in the pushchair bit, I put them in coats or snowsuits, and used the cosytoes.

MoominsYonisAreScary Mon 11-Nov-13 13:54:46

Ds4 9 months has a snow suit for on the school run. Its bloody freezing and he tends to kick blankets off/get his arms out of the cosy toes. We tend to be out of the house quite some time though as the toddler is a very slow walker

Until a baby can vocalise being hot or cold or put a blanket or jacket on then no they can't maintain their own body temperature .

peggyundercrackers Mon 11-Nov-13 12:33:21

YABU - my dd has 3 coats so we can change them over and do all the time. i couldnt see how she could be warm in a pram with just a blanket over her even with a cosy toes - babies cant really generate their own heat. she normally has a vest on, a long sleeve top, tights, shorts/trousers/skirt depending on what we decide to dress her in and shoes. she always always has a coat on when we go out, especially since its been frosty every day for the last 10 days or so - in fact now its frosty she has a cardiagan or thin fleece on under her coat but on top of her long sleeved top.

Of course she needs a coat! You can get baby coats from Asda for less than £10, stop being so tight.

ZombieMojaveWonderer Mon 11-Nov-13 11:39:41

I think in the pram and especially if she's sat upright she should have a coat on and the blanket over her legs. It gets cold quickly when you are sat still in a pram don't forget.

paperlantern Mon 11-Nov-13 11:35:36

I had a fleece poncho from jojomaman babe. easy enough to pop on and off but Nice and warm too.

buggies can be draughty things, prams less so one way or another I'd want a layer of warm next to the skin

I agree they just need normal clothes if they are in a sling under the parent's coat, the sling is an extra layer plus they're technically wearing a coat. They would overheat otherwise. When just going in the car a cardigan/light jacket, a hat and a blanket are fine.

ElbowPrincess Mon 11-Nov-13 11:29:06

If I had a 7 month old, yes they would be wearing a coat! It's freezing out there.

If you're walking outside with her then you will need a coat soon. I think it's fairly mild at the moment (for November!) but the frosty winter weather will be hitting anytime soon. Just sitting in a pram isn't like walking which helps to keep you warm, they feel it more. Once winter set in mine were always in coats,hats, gloves, with blankets and a footmuff and I'm not the over-protective type.

MiaowTheCat Mon 11-Nov-13 11:24:11

I would have my 7 month old in a not massively heavy but a coat nonetheless in this weather if out in the buggy for any length of time. Short trips when we're just ducking into a shop and she has a jumper on already I tend to whack a poncho on if needed.

jellyboatsandpirates Mon 11-Nov-13 11:19:42

Don't know where abouts you are, but here (Oop North) it is absolutely freezing at the moment and definitely coat weather! I get that you don't really need one between house and car if that's all you're doing, but if baby's out and about in the pram then I'd definitely use one!
Brrr.

peanutMD Mon 11-Nov-13 11:10:42

Babies only require an extra layer until 6 months as they are unable to regulate their temperature after this their bodies can maintain heat/cold as any other person can.

When a baby is in the sling under your coat you should actually dress them as you are so a vest, sleepsuit and a cardigan (with hat).is actually plenty as they get the heat from your body too and are more likely to overheat.

monkeynuts123 Mon 11-Nov-13 10:07:00

Vest and sleepsuit and under your coat??? Baby will be freezing! I never understand these mums that trot about wrapped up warm in their scarfs, hats and coat and fur-lined boots and then baby is propped up in a frigging quinny in a cardigan and no socks with literally blue skin. I am always amazed when these same mums take them oout in spring in a summer dress and sandals. OP buy your baby a coat. Buy baby a fleece lined all in one, the sort of thing you get at jo jo maman, with no feet and buy it in a few months too big. Baby will be warm transitioning from car to house and out and about and it will keep baby warm when she kicks off blankets and keep her shoulders warm. When she is walking she can wear it with shoes because she won't be sitting under a blanket then. She will also need a hat and gloves, you know, like you.

soverylucky Mon 11-Nov-13 09:57:08

Snow suit in the pram on an outside walk. People forget when they are walking with a pram that a baby is lying still most of the time so won't be as warm as you are. The cold can come up the underside of the pram too iyswim. Having said that it is approaching the time of year where I physically wince when I see the little babies out in flimsy prams and pushchairs without hats or foot muffs etc.

SoftSheen Mon 11-Nov-13 09:35:04

Once it starts getting colder, I think she will need a warm jacket or a snowsuit for the pram. Even if the lower half of her body is covered with blankets, her arms/ top half of body will get cold.

Cardigans are fine in the Autumn weather with blankets but from now onwards I find a snowsuit or warm jacket is really needed , I have a 7 month old girl. I also ha e woollen sheepskin booties for her feet for when she has coat on instead of snowsuit. I was always told babies should have on one more layer than adults.

Seff Mon 11-Nov-13 08:16:49

Depends on the child. My DD has always been a hotter person than me and has always worn at least one layer less than me. She would scream if she was too hot as a baby.

As long as baby is warm enough, it doesn't really matter what they're wearing.

lagoonhaze Mon 11-Nov-13 07:21:35

My Dd had a fleece all in one or a fleece poncho . Both from Jo Jo maman bebe but second hand.

Often she didnt use them though as warm here in south west.

AmandaCooper Mon 11-Nov-13 07:18:55

It depends on whether we're going to see MIL. If we are then DS wears adorable little outfit with matching socks, plus coordinating jumper, coat, hat, mittens and foot mittens - as though ready for a sub zero Vogue cover shoot. If not, then he wears random vest, random not-for-best long sleeved top, random socks, blanket. Easy!

peanutMD Mon 11-Nov-13 07:14:53

My 8 month old doesn't own a coat.

We live in the Highlands and walk everywhere with either the pram or sling.

Thick cardigan or fleece over long sleeve vests and top works in sling and plus a furry buggysnuggle when in pram.

I am looking into the fleece pram suits though.

SuperiorCat Mon 11-Nov-13 07:01:56

As an occasional wheelchair user, can I add that being immobile, makes it feel so much colder than the person that you are with who is moving around.

If I'm in my chair I need way more layers than everyone else.

Closest I can give to a baby PoV.

My DS has been given a coat but he will very rarely wear it. Makes more sense to me to layer him up, that way I can adjust what he's wearing depending on where we are. A thick coat is too much in the pram and shouldn't be worn in the car. Mine has vest, then long sleeved t short, then thin jumper, then a thick cardigan if he gets out to walk with me. He's 8 months.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now