Note: Please bear in mind that whilst this topic does canvass opinions, it is not a fight club. You may disagree with other posters but we do ask you please to stick to our Talk Guidelines and to be civil. We don't allow personal attacks or troll-hunting. Do please report any. Thanks, MNHQ.

to defriend someone for actually using the word 'discusted'?

(188 Posts)
LoopaDaLoopa Sun 10-Nov-13 12:24:52

In all seriousness. For real. She actually wrote that on her status.

Surely, not unreasonable to defriend?

heymacarena Sun 10-Nov-13 12:25:27

YANBU

She needs to learn.

grin

Writerwannabe83 Sun 10-Nov-13 12:30:39

YANBU - I can't bear horrendous spelling. It makes me angry just looking at it!! I'm the same with poor grammar!! grin

My husband nearly bought his mom a mug the other day that said, "Keep calm your going to be a Grandma" - I wanted to smash it!!!!

How can companies not be ashamed to be so publically stupid???

kinkyfuckery Sun 10-Nov-13 12:31:53

You are defiantly not being unreasonable. That's rediculous!

IslaValargeone Sun 10-Nov-13 12:32:13

YANBU although I raise you someone commenting about The PM laying a reef at the cenotaph today.

LuisSuarezTeeth Sun 10-Nov-13 12:32:49

Discusting. YANBU

LoopaDaLoopa Sun 10-Nov-13 12:33:11

Ha, naughty PM! That would be hilarious.

AnyoneforTurps Sun 10-Nov-13 12:34:38

Defriend and report to the gramma, grandma grammar police. You owe it to society.

Famzilla Sun 10-Nov-13 12:34:41

YANBU. Although I keep the "discustards" because they make me feel all warm inside.

nicelyneurotic Sun 10-Nov-13 12:39:37

YANBU.

I have a friend, an English teacher, who frequently misuses apostrophes. It makes me cringe but I daren't correct her!

8thplace Sun 10-Nov-13 12:49:25

I think your are being totally unreasonable.
Not everyone is good at spelling or grammar, some of us struggle with dyslexia as well.

I would be mortified if you were one of my real friends thinking like this and joking about me.

LoopaDaLoopa Sun 10-Nov-13 12:51:28

smile

SharpLily Sun 10-Nov-13 12:52:21

I keep these people on Facebook because they give me a nice, warm superior feeling grin.

Writerwannabe83 Sun 10-Nov-13 12:53:10

I always add a comment and correct them grin

Dawnywoo Sun 10-Nov-13 12:56:26

Although I am a stickler for spelling myself... My cousin does this all the time, but she is dyslexic and I don't wish to look a twat by correcting her.

Strumpetron Sun 10-Nov-13 12:57:20

God I hate that.

And sossiges. Fucking sossiges.

Strumpetron Sun 10-Nov-13 12:58:02

I actually remember the day I learned to spell sausages, I was in yr 3 and we were doing words like sausages, queen etc.

God my memory is good. Either that or something scarred me for life that day.

BillyBanter Sun 10-Nov-13 13:02:34

A lovely one I saw on here was something like 'I never meant mix bottle feeding with bfing but it was the only way I could get any restbite'.

neunundneunzigluftballons Sun 10-Nov-13 13:07:10

They estimate 10% of the population have dyslexia. It is highly likely it would have been missed in the previous generation especially in brighter people who could cover up their difficulties. My brother definitely has it and managed to get through school without being diagnosed. YAbvu.

Gruntfuttock Sun 10-Nov-13 13:08:17

Well, I would like to say that hanging's too good for the thick bastards, but that would probably get me flamed so I will just say that YANBU. wink

Writerwannabe83 Sun 10-Nov-13 13:09:09

restbite grin

A (late 30s professional) friends of mine said "amazeballs" on FB yesterday. I informed him we could no longer be friends! grin

"friends?" Sorry, no, there's just one of him.

Viviennemary Sun 10-Nov-13 13:16:23

It might have been just a typing mystake.

SharpLily Sun 10-Nov-13 13:31:01

Yep, some people do have dyslexia. But some are just thick.

In any case, it works both ways. Apparently people think it's fine to take the piss out of those of us who are anal about spelling and grammar, so the way I see it's fine for us to take the piss out of them for being thick.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now