THICK CLOTHING IN CAR SEAT DANGER

(184 Posts)
TeamSouthfields Sat 09-Nov-13 23:35:34

Sorry put here for traffic...

I read a terrible article today, but can't copy the link here (rubbish phone)
It's basically about the danger of babies/ young children wearing thick clothing in there car seat..

A baby was ejected from his car seat in an accident, by some miracle he survived,
His winter coat, his snowsuit, was too bulky. Even a coat that seems thin can add too much bulk under the safety belts. In an accident, that bulk compresses, leaving too much room between your baby's body and the straps. This could cause baby to be ejected from the car seat.

please share this

differentnameforthis Mon 11-Nov-13 23:51:48

Aside from the issue here in the op, babies shouldn't be in thick coats in car seats anyway, as they over heat quickly!

differentnameforthis Tue 12-Nov-13 00:09:58

Klootami My children are now too old for baby seats, but I SO want one of those hoodies! grin

Millenniumbug1 Tue 12-Nov-13 08:32:12

Great advice. Bump

intitgrand Tue 12-Nov-13 09:12:43

Initgrand I've seen a report on a crash test for a rear facing seat where those extra inches of slack caused by the suit allowed the child to slide head first out of the straps.

Inches of slack!!
My point exactly , how are there inches of slack if you pull the belt tight.A snow suit cannot further compress inches- a few millimetres perhaps

peachypips Tue 12-Nov-13 12:37:07

A word of advice to those who are telling us the dangers of not using car seats properly.

If you are kind and polite when sharing information and not patronising or aggressive then people are far more likely to listen.

steff13 Wed 13-Nov-13 04:40:25

A friend of mine just shared this article on FB:

thestir.cafemom.com/baby/149235/the_important_winter_car_seat

Strumpetron Wed 13-Nov-13 07:57:09

Intitgrand if you looked at one of the links I posted, it clearly demonstrates where the inches comes from

You just seem very against believing it at all. Why is that?

intitgrand Wed 13-Nov-13 09:21:35

Because I understand physics

Jollyb Wed 13-Nov-13 09:41:21

Never heard this either. How big are some of these snowsuits? I'm a bit confused as to where the inches come from too.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now