To think Debenhams bringing out size 16 mannequins is not actually a great thing?

(679 Posts)
SetFiretotheRain Sat 09-Nov-13 09:15:33

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

minibmw2010 Sat 09-Nov-13 09:18:04

Of course YABU! Even 'fat' people need to shop and buy clothes sometimes, this is their way of showing you how your size actually looks rather than trying to imagine it from seeing same dress on a size 18 and hoping for the best !!!! Size 16 is fine.

Atari Sat 09-Nov-13 09:18:45

I agree but suspect this won't go well.....

6ft models at size 10 are wrong too, but why not use 5'6" size 12s?

janey68 Sat 09-Nov-13 09:18:46

What a ridiculous thing to say, that its medically 'not ok ' else be size 16. It obviously depends on your height and build. Particularly daft coming from one who admits to being plump herself

Shenanagins Sat 09-Nov-13 09:18:47

I think you will get flamed for this but i do agree with you. Obviously there are some people who are a size 16 and not overweight but these tend to be the very tall.

Smoorikins Sat 09-Nov-13 09:18:51

So you don't think its a good thing to be able to see what the clothes are likely to look like?

Maybe seeing the large mannequins next to the small will incentivise people to lose weight.

I think YABU.

OTheHugeManatee Sat 09-Nov-13 09:20:03

Depends how tall the mannequins are, surely? I am 5'9" with an ectomorph build and am only a bit plump at size 16. Someone wearing size 16 at 5'1" though might be quite overweight.

SanityClause Sat 09-Nov-13 09:21:20

No, I agree with you.

The more we see overweight people, the more that is normalised.

This is a marketing ploy directed at overweight people. It is not a socially responsible act at all.

Imsosorryalan Sat 09-Nov-13 09:21:49

YABVU!
Because everyone, regardless of height and build should starve themselves to make sure they are a size 8!hmm

Erm...I'm a size 16 and I'm not overweight (I'm 5'10") so it's not true to say that "being a size 16 isn't healthy" because for some people it is. Being a size 6/8 at my height would make me underweight which has far more health implications than being a bit overweight (which I'm not, but accept that's not true for all size 16s)

Also, most models and mannequins ARE tall.....so it would follow that they're hardly going to be massively overweight even if they are a bit.

farrowandbawl Sat 09-Nov-13 09:28:07

I agree in the sense that it's making it OK to be overweight or more acceptable but I also disagree with you as it really is about time that there are more realistic mannequins that show what clothes look like on more normal sized people without the fabric having to be pinned back.

SanityClause Sat 09-Nov-13 09:31:41

Wrong, Imso.

We should all eat healthily enough and exercise sufficiently to ensure we have a strong, healthy body.

For some people, this may mean they can be a size 16, but not for many.

Size 8 may also be healthy for some, but again, not for many.

BooCanary Sat 09-Nov-13 09:32:50

I'm a 16, 5'11 ( about the same height as most models I would imagine) and right on the border of OK/overweight re, BMI.

I look thin as a 12, and just right as a 14. I was a 10 as a teenager, and was skin and bone.

I think ideally a 14 would be ideal weight for a 6foot model. The idea of a tall model being a 6 or 8 is SO unhealthy.

SetFiretotheRain Sat 09-Nov-13 09:33:31

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

So if it's OK to have size 8 models/mannequins, then why not size 16? If beauty is health (which I believe) then all sizes that are healthy should be represented.

PoopMaster Sat 09-Nov-13 09:35:31

YA sort of BU, I read somewhere that the average lady's size is 14 now, which seems not too unhealthy (though again, depends on height).

So I don't get why they didn't make them size 14 instead? Anything larger seems like disingenuous marketing and quite patronising I would've thought.

2rebecca Sat 09-Nov-13 09:36:09

I'm a 14 and so a size 16 mannekin would look more like my figure than a size 8 one. I'd favour mannekins being size 12-14 mainly and them not being allowed to pin clothes back so we can see how they really hang. Some smaller and larger sizes is fine as the aim of mannekins is to sell clothes not be role models, and if you want to sell clothes to larger people it helps if they get an idea of how the clothes would look on them.

I just get frustrated when people seem to make more of a fuss about bigger models when really being underweight is far more dangerous than a bit overweight. I'm not talking obese here, but for a tall person a size 16 isn't necessarily going to be a major health issue, even if their BMI is a little higher than "healthy"

floatyflo Sat 09-Nov-13 09:36:42

ODFOD!!

A size 16 is hardly morbidly obese is it.

JumpingJackSprat Sat 09-Nov-13 09:43:46

Yanbu op we should not be making overweight into the norm. .. and I'm overweight myself. I don't mean ostracised people who are overweight but Debenhams are not doing this for anyone but themselves.

midlandslurker Sat 09-Nov-13 09:43:54

I agree - whilst some may have a healthy BMI at a size 16 most wont.

Would it be acceptable to accessorise the models with 20 Marlborough sticking out of their top pocket ? Of course it wouldn't ,so why should it be acceptable to promote a size 16 ?

When I was a teenager there were few kids in my school that were overweight,when Catching the bus to work I'm amazed to see so many young teenagers that are definitely on the "wrong side of slim"- should we be sending out these sort of messages to todays kids ?

pigletmania Sat 09-Nov-13 09:43:56

Yabvvvvu even large people have to buy cloths, no! When buying clothes I want to know how it would look like on me, not a size 0 mannequin who bears no resemblance to many woman. Iam a very fit size 12, I do I hour exercisable day and watch what I eat, but unfortunately I can't remove my hip bones or my breasts!

maryannmarie Sat 09-Nov-13 09:44:10

YABU. If mannequins were the problem why are people still overweight with the vast majority of shops using thin and tall ones?

pigletmania Sat 09-Nov-13 09:44:55

Yes being underweight is also a health concern

Mitchy1nge Sat 09-Nov-13 09:45:34

if the average UK woman is about 5'4, she probably would be obese/have a bmi of 29+ at a size 16?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now