Note: Please bear in mind that whilst this topic does canvass opinions, it is not a fight club. You may disagree with other posters but we do ask you please to stick to our Talk Guidelines and to be civil. We don't allow personal attacks or troll-hunting. Do please report any. Thanks, MNHQ.

to refuse to show colleagues..

(228 Posts)
Coldlightofday Fri 08-Nov-13 20:34:29

..pictures of someone else's baby. I have a very close friend at work, who went on emergency Pat Leave because his wife had their baby a bit early. We've been in regular contact, as it's been a worrying time for them and he's texted a few photos of new little baby SQUEEEEEE.

Now, I haven't shown anyone at work these photos, because I think it is his baby, his business to show photos when he gets back.

I have been called 'secretive', 'precious' and 'UNREASONABLE' for not doing (and have only admitted to having photos when directly asked.

AIBU?

Coldlightofday Fri 08-Nov-13 21:00:38

Outraged

I repeat.

I only said I had them because a few people asked me directly. It's in my OP.

misspontypine Fri 08-Nov-13 21:01:38

I think it is just about respecting someone else's really special time.

I am sure he has more to think about that if his co-workers see a photo of his baby.

lunar1 Fri 08-Nov-13 21:01:55

You are attention seeking. If you weren't going to show them you shouldn't have told anybody you have them. Does it make you feel important?

Coldlightofday Fri 08-Nov-13 21:03:14

lunar no not especially. I guess I should have just said 'no I haven't' when asked, but didn't really think.

OutragedFromLeeds Fri 08-Nov-13 21:03:27

There is no need to repeat.

I was answering Mylovelyboy.

You answered when asked. I know.

Sirzy Fri 08-Nov-13 21:06:29

If you didn't want to show people the photo you shouldn't have said you had one.

You seem to be trying to make this isn't an issue it isn't really. I doubt most new parents would have a problem with their colleagues seeing a photo, infact most people would probably assume if they sent one colleague a photo they would show the others

Sirzy Fri 08-Nov-13 21:07:12

If I asked someone directly if they had a photo of something and then they refused to show me I would think they were being rather odd TBH.

Bue Fri 08-Nov-13 21:07:39

This is very weird behaviour, I think. What on earth will happen if you show colleagues a photo of the baby?

StanleyLambchop Fri 08-Nov-13 21:09:54

why is it attention seeking?

ooh, Mr Colleague has just sent pics of the baby, Squeeee!, Lovely, can we see? No, its secret, special and only for close friends, nah nah nah nah nahna.

It makes you sound about five, that's why. Do you want people to think you are special? Just show the photos, otherwise you run the risk of putting people off, so that when he does come back people just go 'yeah, whatever'. Which would be more upsetting to your friend, I am sure. YABU!

Coldlightofday Fri 08-Nov-13 21:10:10

Sirzy I accept that I should have lied and said 'No I don't', but I'm not especially guarded, so just said yes, then realised I felt odd showing them.

So just kinda played it down.

SarahPercyAndBill Fri 08-Nov-13 21:10:37

You're sort of saying he only sent it to me to see, not the rest of you. I too would find you odd. And I think the dad won't appreciate the negative drama you're creating in the office about his baby's picture.

FannyFifer Fri 08-Nov-13 21:10:44

Wtf. Just show them a pic of the baby.

Coldlightofday Fri 08-Nov-13 21:11:06

stanley if you read the OP, or my responses, you'll see it didn't happen that way.

YABU and very odd and precious. confused

So nearly everybody says that you were being strange, and you just keep saying that you were not. Honestly, this is such a non-issue that your further protesting makes you seem even more unreasonable. This is odd behaviour - it really is.

Mylovelyboy Fri 08-Nov-13 21:14:01

OP your colleagues know you have the photos because they asked you and you said yes. Anyone normal 'sorry to say that but you are acting abnormal' would have shown the photos there and then. All cooing over the baby etc. I think people on this thread are right to be honest. You are acting really strange and secretive. I think you are making yourself look really silly at work and not doing yourself any favour to be honest. Sorry to be harsh but you need telling as you did ask

GideonKipper Fri 08-Nov-13 21:15:00

I think it's a bit odd tbh.

I agree with Canthisonebeused upthread. It almost comes across like you're the <dramatic music> "chosen one" privileged to receive the photos and you're going to do everything in your power to stop others seeing them (exaggerating but you get my drift).

Presumably you're sending colleague the odd text to ask how things are? You could just tack on the end a simple question - is it okay to show the photos, everyone's dying to see?

Your colleague will have loads more up to date ones he'll want to show off when he gets back to work anyway.

How on earth is showing your colleagues in the office a pic on a mobile going to intrude on their "special time"?

Is the baby North West [grin} and they're holding out for a Hello deal? grin

StanleyLambchop Fri 08-Nov-13 21:17:02

I have read your OP and subsequent posts, and see nothing that changes my mind about my post. Just lighten up and show them the photos!

Yabu, too, because of the use of 'Squeeeee' which makes anybody sound unreasonable, imho.

Mylovelyboy Fri 08-Nov-13 21:19:50

Why should you have lied ? why would you have felt odd showing the picture? ffs it gets more bizarre. Anyone for gin and tonic grin

Coldlightofday Fri 08-Nov-13 21:20:27

I'll give you that Remus grin

CuntWagon Fri 08-Nov-13 21:22:23

What could possibly be private about a picture if a baby. It's just a new human, it will be seen by other humans when out and about. You must sound very odd to your colleagues.

Coldlightofday Fri 08-Nov-13 21:22:29

Mylovely - because if I'd just said 'nope, haven't had any' I would have avoided the whole thing.

I'm not going to explain again why I feel odd because it seems to be making people think I'm EVEN ODDER.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now