to refuse to show colleagues..

(228 Posts)
Coldlightofday Fri 08-Nov-13 20:34:29

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

SarahAndFuck Fri 08-Nov-13 20:38:12

YANBU.

It's up to him to show people if he wants to, or to say that he doesn't mind if you share the pictures at work.

People are used to too much sharing though, and see nothing wrong in covering Facebook and the like with other people's business, so this has probably come as a shock to them.

Rowlers Fri 08-Nov-13 20:39:09

Honestly? A bit weird. A baby is a baby. One quick look, a couple of "oohs" and then you move on. People like baby pics. Can't really see the harm.

CoffeeTea103 Fri 08-Nov-13 20:41:20

If they view it on your phone what is the big deal? What could they possibly do? Maybe ask your colleague if he minds, if he does then just tell them that. If not show them, simple?

Mylovelyboy Fri 08-Nov-13 20:44:12

I think you are acting really odd to be honest. Its a picture of a baby. I think your colleagues must think you are a bit strange. Sorry to say but true.

Coldlightofday Fri 08-Nov-13 20:45:01

NotALondoner Fri 08-Nov-13 20:47:48

I agree with you OP. His baby, his pleasure to show the photos.

ratspeaker Fri 08-Nov-13 20:48:36

Why not just ask him if it's ok to show the pix around the workplace?
If he says no, then you can tell colleagues that
If he yes, go ahead then, no problems

misspontypine Fri 08-Nov-13 20:48:57

YABU. If he was that worried he wouldn't have sent the photos to you.

I think he would like a text saying "everyone in the office has been cooing over the photo of the new baby, he/she really is adorable, we all send our love."

I wouls only say that maybe don't show photos if the baby/mum is very poorly and maybe the photos could trigger sad memories in others.

puntasticusername Fri 08-Nov-13 20:49:12

Have you asked baby's dad what he'd prefer you to do? I think your most reasonable course of action is to follow his wishes on the matter.

Ok, I do appreciate he's probably got his hands a bit full right now and may not necessarily welcome the question smile

CMOTDibbler Fri 08-Nov-13 20:49:15

YABU. Unless he told you not to, he'll be expecting that you'll have shared pics with the rest of the office

Alisvolatpropiis Fri 08-Nov-13 20:49:45

Why did you tell them he'd sent you photos?

Mylovelyboy Fri 08-Nov-13 20:51:41

My Managing Directors wife had a baby recently and he text me a photo. I showed the whole office, he was delighted when he came back to work and everyone said they had all seen the picture and the baby was gorgeous. OP is your work colleague a bit of a strange one and you are trying to protect/not upset him.

Coldlightofday Fri 08-Nov-13 20:52:12

defineme Fri 08-Nov-13 20:52:17

You're being really weird, unless he specifically said not to. I wouldn't care, but I'd think you were strange and attention seeking in your refusal.
You did ask!

Mylovelyboy Fri 08-Nov-13 20:54:46

Why would OP NOT tell everyone he had sent a photo. Its a picture of his baby not his nob. Jeez. This is a non issue being made into one.

Coldlightofday Fri 08-Nov-13 20:54:47

OutragedFromLeeds Fri 08-Nov-13 20:55:21

Unless he had told you not to show anyone or he has form for being very private I would think he would assume you would show others. That's what people do with baby photos.

Why haven't you asked him?

You do sound a bit odd, I can see where the others are coming from.

Coldlightofday Fri 08-Nov-13 20:55:48

Canthisonebeused Fri 08-Nov-13 20:55:52

I think what you are doing is a bit odd and all the things your colleagues say. Do you like the power of having these pictures and his friendship over others in the office? Unless there is reason he has specified he doesn't want the pics shown otherwise why assume he doesn't. It also is odd you know others want to see them and you haven't just said to him do you mind me showing the pics off in the office everyone is so keen to see your new baby.

Did he ask you specifically not to show them to his colleagues?

OutragedFromLeeds Fri 08-Nov-13 20:57:35

'Why would OP NOT tell everyone he had sent a photo'

because she knows they'd want to see it, but doesn't want to show anyone?

OP: I've got a lovely picture of X's new baby.
Colleague: Ahhhh, let's have a look.
OP: No.
Colleague: Oh....confused

Good point, why tell them he had sent you photos?

Yabvvvvvu - how strange. It makes you sound precious and odd. If you were my colleague, I'd be thinking that you're bonkers tbh.

phantomnamechanger Fri 08-Nov-13 21:00:30

I think, out of courtesy, its right to check whether the parents want the pictures shown to others, or want to do that themselves. Rather like MILs stealing DILs thunder by announcing pg to all and sundry when asked to keep it quiet.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now