to wonder how good heroin must feel

(379 Posts)
complexnumber Thu 07-Nov-13 19:26:12

I've tried lots of recreational drugs over the years, but never heroin
But what is it about the 'hit' heroin gives you that makes you want it again... and again...

Geckos48 Thu 07-Nov-13 19:38:25

I always wondered this too and then when I was in labour with my still born they said 'would you like some diamorphine!' Diamorphine is heroin and I was so pleased! My husband was very jealous, always said we would try it together in retirement.

It's nice, a bit like a smacky pill makes your jaw go like you won't believe and very, very pleasant,

tracypenisbeaker Thu 07-Nov-13 19:38:59

I would try it if it was my last day ever.

Strumpetron Thu 07-Nov-13 19:39:38

I had morphine. It did nothing for me at all. Didn't even make a difference to the pain Was it intravenous or the liquid, or tablets? I found only the stuff straight into my vein worked.

It's like being on a cloud. Wrapped up all snug and safe. A lovely feeling.

Geckos48 Thu 07-Nov-13 19:39:44

Not the same as perthadine. Much more natural a high, perthadine is like diamorphine like tramadol is like dihydracodine. Very different drugs.

Lonecatwithkitten Thu 07-Nov-13 19:41:00

Of course for some people the trip is awful. Any opioids, but morphine in particular has me vomiting my guts up, weeping as a vomit so much so that I am actually an opioid refuser now and would rather have the pain thanks.

tracypenisbeaker Thu 07-Nov-13 19:41:59

So how come people who have diamorphine and that in childbirth don't get addicted? Surely there's a risk that people would want to go out and score it after feeling how nice it is.

I might just be naive, someone will probably enlighten me blush

ElleBelly Thu 07-Nov-13 19:42:26

I've dabbled in the odd soft drug but not the scary ones, so a slight curiosity from me too. I've had codeine and found it delightfully fuzzy so I imagine heroin is that x100.

complexnumber Thu 07-Nov-13 19:44:14

I'm not at all tempted to try it, just wondering.

I did try acid a couple of times many years ago, tbh , I loved it.

But that was a long time ago. I'm certainly not going to be mucking about with Class A drugs anymore.

I was just wondering how good is the experience

WholeNutt Thu 07-Nov-13 19:44:34

I was given a shitload of morphine a few weeks ago..did bugger all I was still in agony then violently sick..heroin isn't for me I guess!!

Mim78 Thu 07-Nov-13 19:44:34

I don't think it is the same as pethadine. You do get diamorphine (which is the technical name for herion) in labour though - I had this but I must say I didn't notice any difference.

Off on a tangent - the best thing I've ever had was gas and air. You could float of on a brilliant high and then come back immediately with no ill effects - totally back to normal immediately. Loved that -not like alcohol where, if you have a drink at lunchtime for instance you feel like crap for rest of the day (happens to me with only one drink - may not be the same for others!).

eisbaer Thu 07-Nov-13 19:45:19

Just thinking - am due DC4 in December. What if I marched in and said, in the manner some do for an epidural "I am now ready for my diamorphine thanks, no gas and air or epidural, just the skag"

RagamuffinAndFidget Thu 07-Nov-13 19:45:49

My DH tried heroin once years ago and he said it was crap. He was always more of a pills & weed kinda guy though so maybe it just didn't do the right things for him..

MrsTP 'coming home' describes it very well. I used to be addicted to speed and those are the words I would use to describe how I felt about it. I could probably take any other drug just once and never again but if I did speed one more time I'd be hooked again.

I realise my post makes DH and myself sound fairly awful - we're both clean now and have been for years!

I found with morphine it doesn't take the pain away, it takes you away from the pain. Its like being a better you looking in, I can definitely see why people get addicted.

However I have seen what heroin addiction does to people and I wouldn't wish that on my worst enemy.

MadBusLady Thu 07-Nov-13 19:47:28

tracy maybe the sleep deprivation and being covered in poo forms a natural control grin. Also I guess it will be given in a very controlled dose sufficient to deal with the pain rather than blow your mind.

I had temazepan (sp?) at the dentist for my wisdom tooth and that was fucking amazing. I am definitely a lightweight though (for drugs anyway).

out2lunch Thu 07-Nov-13 19:47:36

I must have read this somewhere........your first hit of heroin is far and away the best - after that you are simply trying to recreate that feeling,before long you are addicted which is horrible.the great feeling really doesn't last long.

Brices Thu 07-Nov-13 19:47:45

Like being wrapped in cotton wool, no edges, no cares just floating and high. Alright as things go I suppose but you wouldn't want to live like this. Unless of course life is so painful...
The one I personally wouldn't touch is crack. Interesting we'll all have different ideas to risk of addiction and drug use. I've met people frightened of taking nurofen.

HandMini Thu 07-Nov-13 19:47:45

So how come people who have diamorphine and that in childbirth don't get addicted?

I think two reasons - it's a very controlled dose, to try to remove pain but not intended to get you high (tho clearly for some it does) and childbirth is an extremely intense physical and emotional experience for most, so I don't reckon you can totally discern between the childbirth endorphins/highs and the drugs...it's not something you can try (or even really want to) replicate other than by giving birth again.

Don't know if that makes sense to others?

SigmundFraude Thu 07-Nov-13 19:49:02

Heroin is dirty morphine. Morphine is the most amazing drug ever, made me feel like I was cocooned in a pain free womb or floating on a warm cloud with the suns gentle rays beating down on me. I could hear the hospital staff buzzing around me, but it was like I was somewhere else, not affected by anything, just safe, nothing mattered.

I was given a clicker thing to administer morphine when I needed it intravenously, after my CS. They removed it because I was abusing it, apparently, can't remember grin

If I had access to medical morphine I would be an addict. If I tried heroin I would be an addict. So it's a very good job that I don't have access to medical morphine, and am too terrified to try heroin (acquaintances have OD'd).

dashoflime Thu 07-Nov-13 19:53:00

I also used to wonder this. Then I had morphine in hospital and it was a bit of a let down. Very effective painkiller but it made my mind go off on weird tangents and I felt out of control and unhappy. I would have preferred valium

ImaginativeNewName Thu 07-Nov-13 19:54:06

The world made complete sense to me on just gas and air, it was wonderful. I asked DH if we could get some for the house. grin

I think that means I'm a drugs lightweight and should probably stay away from heroin.

ZooTimeIsSheAndYouTime Thu 07-Nov-13 19:54:19

My mum took morphine for chronic back pain and it made her terribly (and unchararacteristically) depressed. She was in a very bad way with it at one stagesad

DifferenceEngine Thu 07-Nov-13 19:55:37

That's a great description of morphine whats

I had morphine after surgery and I get regular prescriptions of weaker opiates for unrelated pain. I seriously love the feeling I get when I take them. Which is why I don't take them very often. But when I'm crushingly tired and stressed from constant pin during a flare up, I can take one and just step aside from the pain. It's still there, but I don't mind it so much.

I strongly suspect I'm highly susceptible to opiates and if I took heroin I'd get a massive and amazing high, followed by instant addiction.

Having said all that..... I rate reliable painkillers and anasthetics as one of the great inventions of modern times.

Geckos48 Thu 07-Nov-13 19:56:22

Heroin is just a trade name for diamorphine.

Like the trade name for sertraline is Zoloft.

There is no difference between the two.

Theas18 Thu 07-Nov-13 19:57:54

I had a lovely -almost a minute of fentanyl high whilst being anaesthetised - daft doc gave the opiate then dropped the anaesthetic drug on the floor so I floated all pleasantly cosy and free of anxiety for my coming op till he drew up more.

Actually that was a really nice anaesthetic all together , maybe it was cos it was on Bupa lol!

Didn't realise though that your taste buds get anaesthetised for much longer than the rest if you. My smoked salmon sarnie (go Bupa) and lemon meringue ice cream tasted of nothing at all!

chicaguapa Thu 07-Nov-13 19:58:02

How funny! I've also expressed the intention to do heroin if I had a terminal illness as I'd like to see what it was like. I don't even drink, let alone have done any drugs, so people look at me like this shock and confused. So I'm glad I'm not the only one.

I've also heard that it's only good the first time and that you are just trying to recreate that but using more and more each time.

I also read a crime book recently that said your body processes it differently if you're in different surroundings, which is why people sometimes accidentally OD. As their body can take a large hit at home, but when they try to administer the same amount somewhere else, their body can't take it all and it mills them.

Sad for all the addicted people out there. sad

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now