Note: Please bear in mind that whilst this topic does canvass opinions, it is not a fight club. You may disagree with other posters but we do ask you please to stick to our Talk Guidelines and to be civil. We don't allow personal attacks or troll-hunting. Do please report any. Thanks, MNHQ.

To have sent this homework back unfinished? - Teachers views welcome

(24 Posts)
Theodorous Fri 08-Nov-13 18:01:08

What happened to differentiation?

Blissx Fri 08-Nov-13 12:32:26

itsametaphordaddy - you wrote a very valid point. Although that is not be the case with the OP, it is certainly more common that some parents think. To add to that, I have had complaints from parents that their DC is spending too long on their homework and it usually transpires that they are doing the homework with a computer and spending far too much time on social networking sites and not actually doing the homework.

OP, you certainly did the right move and it this stage, I wouldn't think any more about it.

cashmiriana Fri 08-Nov-13 12:17:51

I teach.
I have stopped DD2 doing a piece of homework that had already taken her an hour and a half - it's supposed to be 30-40 minutes. She understood it, was doing fine with it but there was so much of it I doubt I could have completed it in the time.

Teacher was a bit huffy. I referred to school homework policy and then ran away.

moldingsunbeams Fri 08-Nov-13 05:42:08

Itsamet That's definitely not the case here, I sat with her for about 45 minutes before we gave up, she was trying but just did not know where to even start. She did the first couple but even they were with massive help.

I always write on if I have heavily assisted and with what bit so they know she has not got it.

I think they all get the same homework from what I have seen but not 100% on that.

I am not sure teacher was impressed I sent it in as some comment was made about having another night before it had to be in after they read my comment but she just had no clue.

I have asked that LC, I have got chunking and all those methods down.

Lcbirdy Thu 07-Nov-13 20:23:13

Great that you're working with her, and that you're prepared to work with school.

Have you considered asking the teacher to go through the new methods with you? It might help in the long run.

frogspoon Thu 07-Nov-13 19:41:43

Yes, a brief note is absolutely fine.

As a teacher I have had epic sagas from some parents. A simple note saying their child either did not understand, or ran out of time will suffice.

I also have several parents who "assist" with their child's homework do it for them. This is extremely confusing particularly as a new teacher, as the child's homework indicates that they have a good understanding of the topic, but classwork or tests suggest that they don't.

NotMeNotYouNotAnyone Thu 07-Nov-13 19:31:56

You did the right thing. If you did it for her or helped her to the point you might as well be doing it for her , then the teacher will think she understands so won't know she needs help.

A brief note us better than just not doing it so the teacher knows you and Dd have tried, not that you just couldn't be bothered.

ShellyF Thu 07-Nov-13 19:26:56

You are certainly not being unreasonable.I expect parental feedback and will take note of conments .

Joysmum Thu 07-Nov-13 19:13:19

We're lucky as I'm a SAHM so when I dropped DD in to school I'd have a word with the teacher. The school had parents evenings to run through how the kids learn and on a couple of occasions DD and I would get a private lesson after school together.

itsametaphordaddy Thu 07-Nov-13 19:05:28

I had a child who brought their homework back today. Her mum said her daughter didn't understand it at all. I looked at it with her DD and she did it absolutely fine. I think she must have just told her Mum she didn't understand it because she didn't want to do it. Just a thought. Also I have occasionally had parents write a note saying things like 'Billy said he hasn't done this in class so he doesn't know what to do.' Little Billy did this work at 10am and I also explained the homework again at 3pm.

Tailtwister Thu 07-Nov-13 19:02:20

I think a note to explain she has found it too difficult is exactly the right thing to do. I'm not a teacher, but I imagine she would find this feedback helpful and should enable her to pitch future work at a more manageable level.

YouTheCat Thu 07-Nov-13 19:02:02

I thought homework was to practise and consolidate what had been learned in school? If the teachers want to assess I'd suggest they do and assessment, in school.

kiwiscantfly Thu 07-Nov-13 19:00:48

Do you know if the homework is being levelled. I'm a teacher and mine has to be differentiated three ways, could she be getting the wrong sheet?
But yes, writing the note is a good idea, there is no point in doing something she doesn't understand.

teacherandguideleader Thu 07-Nov-13 18:57:44

I would prefer a note explaining what she couldn't do (for example, didn't understand the question or understood the question but didn't know the answer) than someone else doing it for them.

Although, I have a support club for students to come to if they are struggling (my times are very flexible) so would be annoyed if I got a note and they hadn't been to support club.

moldingsunbeams Thu 07-Nov-13 18:52:42

Thanks all,
I just put a note on the bottom and said "dd was unable to do this and I did not want to show her a different method than what is taught in school"

complexnumber Thu 07-Nov-13 18:46:04

Sending a short note home to explain that your child could not finish homework is entirely acceptable.

Valid reasons would be:

a) Taking too long (hopefully the school is providing guide lines as to how long homework should be taking)

b) Too difficult (as a teacher, I would like to know asap if a homework I had set was too difficult for a pupil)

c) Personnel Circumstances

(Actually, I'm very anti-homework as well, but don't tell my school)

prettybird Thu 07-Nov-13 18:44:35

Ds' primary school's approach to homework was that it was to show the parents what the kids were doing at to reinforce what was being done at school.

Most definitely not to teach new stuff. If she hasn't got it at school then you can't "reinforce" it at home.

pumpkinkitty Thu 07-Nov-13 18:40:04

As a teacher is say that was fine. However, I don't think it's a great idea for her to be given homework she can't do independently. IMO parents should be there to encourage and chivvy along, possibly a little bit if help. There's no point in homework she can't do at all.

treacletoffeeinnovember Thu 07-Nov-13 18:37:44

Why (some) teachers think that if the child can't do it in the classroom they can do it at home, I don't know!

YABU though. Don't do it. Seriously, just send a note in explaining.

But I am very anti-homework.

Mushypeasandchipstogo Thu 07-Nov-13 18:37:33

YANBU. Please ask to speak to the SENCO at school, every school must have one, and voice your concerns.

Faithless12 Thu 07-Nov-13 18:34:24

How old is your DD? Sending it back with a note is fine, if she has tried to talk to the teacher about not understanding it (depends on her age if she will be able to do this)

moldingsunbeams Thu 07-Nov-13 17:14:43

Thanks Murder, I know teacher told dd it was not due in for another day but another night is not going to make a difference to understanding.

I am reluctant to keep heavily assisting as I wont be there in her tests!

Murdermysteryreader Thu 07-Nov-13 17:08:32

This is fine. You are correct to add a note, it is better to do this then to do it for them or help too much. However the school should be able now to set appropriate homework for your child's needs. So if this continues you will want to make contact to take to the school about setting appropriate homework. As if it is always too hard it will be disheartening for your child.

moldingsunbeams Thu 07-Nov-13 17:02:23

DD who has sen keeps bringing homework home which is too difficult for her.
I spoke to teacher and they said they were sending home some homework they should be able to do and some which was too hard to see where they were.

I have gone through several lots of homework with her and assisted and wrote a note on bottom that I have assisted because she did not understand. This has caused some confusion as I am obviously teaching her how I learnt which may be a different method to what they use in school now.

So last night she brought homework home and did not get it at all, I tried to explain and she got frustrated, she did not get it, so I sent it back to school with a note that she did not understand and I did not want to teach her a different method of working out than them.

WIBU?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now