Note: Please bear in mind that whilst this topic does canvass opinions, it is not a fight club. You may disagree with other posters but we do ask you please to stick to our Talk Guidelines and to be civil. We don't allow personal attacks or troll-hunting. Do please report any. Thanks, MNHQ.

AIBU to feel that my feelings have been hurt by a 4 year old!

(30 Posts)
ElleBelly Thu 07-Nov-13 16:15:19

At school pick up today I overheard a little boy in Dd's foundation class telling his mum "I don't like that one with the short hair" and pointing at me. She went very red and told him to sssh and I looked away as I was embarrassed too. I know kids say stuff, but I feel a bit hurt, his mum is friendly enough to smile and say hi to, and I smile at him if we pass as I'm dropping DD off,but I've never even spoken to him, so why doesn't he like me? Do I look horrible and scary? Am I ridiculous to feel hurt by a 4 year old?! (Obviously yes, but sleep deprivation is making me a bit sensitive!)

WorraLiberty England Thu 07-Nov-13 22:03:21

We still take the piss out of my 21 year old DS over a similar comment he made when he was 4 years old grin

His Reception teacher introduced a student teacher and explained that she's be helping in class for a week.

Everyone 'sang' Gooood morniiiiing Miss so and so...

Except for my son...he burst into tears and said "I don't like her. I want to go home!!" shock

To this day he remembers it but still has no idea why he didn't like her confused

Mind you, he missed her when she left and made her a card grin

Anchoress Thu 07-Nov-13 22:41:48

Don't give it another thought, OP. Kids of that age take against someone because they don't like the colour of their jacket, or because someone else entirely has just refused to buy them a packet of crisps!

elizadofuckall Fri 08-Nov-13 00:20:11

My daughter did this when she was small about a parent at play group. Turned out that it was because the woman wore a lot of brown!

Children are strange smile

cory Fri 08-Nov-13 07:12:48

Ds told me years afterwards that the reason he never spoke much at the childminder's was that he was convinced that she was actually a witch. Not a turn of phrase, the real thing. shock At least he was polite and never spoke out, but it must have been quite unpleasant spending your days with somebody you thought might turn you into a frog if you put a toe out of line.

To be fair to the mum in this case, the OP said she did shush her son. Which seem a more tactful way of pulling him up than going into long explanations of how "you mustn't say that dear even if you think somebody looks scary".

Pinkbutterfly31 Fri 08-Nov-13 09:12:56

I can always count on my two to point out a spot on someone's face or ask a bald man where his hair is. They've also been known to point out weight issues as well. No matter how many times I explain that it is rude etc etc, it still occasionally slips out. I remember my eldest asking a friend of mine "are you having a baby?" When she replied in the negative, child 1 carelessly said "looks like you are!". Cue mortification...

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now