to not get "pampering girls' nights in"?

(88 Posts)
samandi Thu 07-Nov-13 10:33:59

Are they really that fun? Wouldn't it be more relaxing to put gloop all over your face when you're by yourself? How do you eat and drink while carrying out all those beauty treatments? What's the point of it all if you're going to stuff your face with ice cream and chocolate? And do all women really love ice cream and chocolate that much anyway? confused

Sorry there are a lot of questions, I am just hoping someone can explain the appeal and I'm wondering if they're really that commonplace :-)

Sunflower49 Fri 08-Nov-13 13:56:25

I reckon I could do face masks, giving one another manicures/pedicures etc, doing one another's make up.. But I only think like this because It's nice to have a distraction whilst doing it, It's a PITA doing it on one's own, boring!
Only if wine/gossip is involved too though, and good company!
Have zero interest in ice cream/chocolate or takeaways though. Few nibbles maybes!

TheRealAmandaClarke Fri 08-Nov-13 12:57:02

Smellies from the Cunting Body Shop
Pmsl. grin

Crowler Fri 08-Nov-13 12:34:40

cunting Body Shop

LOL.

harticus Fri 08-Nov-13 12:32:37

If there's a word that gives me the rage, it's "pamper"

"Smellies" does it for me.

"What shall we get mum/nan/auntie for Xmas?"
How about a shitty fruit basket full of some smellies from the cunting Body Shop?

mrsjay Fri 08-Nov-13 12:29:26

I remember my mum going to tupperware parties in the 70s early 80s that is how i remember the farty noises she used to drag me along

Tupperware here too. Just reminded me I need to decline an invitation to an AS party.

mrsjay Fri 08-Nov-13 12:24:41

squoosh i felt a bit queasy when dd told me they were 16 at the time hmm

squoosh Fri 08-Nov-13 12:23:24

Imagine cooing over vibrators, butt plugs and cock rings with your old Mum? shock

mrsjay Fri 08-Nov-13 12:18:52

I would tupperware and open the lids to make those farty noises all night grin Anne summers parties are Grim dd once told me a girl in her class (high school) used to go with her mum <shudder>

Coupon Fri 08-Nov-13 12:09:46

I'd pick the Tupperware party out of the three!

exexpat Fri 08-Nov-13 11:24:03

I don't even think an Anne Summers party would be 'hilarious' - forced hilarity, maybe, because that's what everyone expects, but really it's just an excuse to put pressure on people to buy tacky underwear and overpriced penis-shaped chocolate.

exexpat Fri 08-Nov-13 11:22:23

I would run a mile from all three, to be honest.

TunipTheUnconquerable Fri 08-Nov-13 11:22:05

Pamper is definitely worst out of those three. Ann Summers would be awful but also hilarious. Tupperware would just be dull as fuck.

TheRealAmandaClarke Fri 08-Nov-13 11:19:02

So, which is best/ worst: a pamper party, an "Anne summers" party or a Tupperware party?

I never did them as a teenager either, but I have always loved football, maybe there's a correlation.

Although I do get fed up by Renee zellwegger movies it's a bloody laugh and I get paid and they all look gorgeous.

I go to people's houses and do the treatments for them. Pjs cocktails champers music films I've seen it all.

As I get repeat bookings I guess they are fun!

Caitlin17 Fri 08-Nov-13 08:57:05

Katisha agreed re "pamper" Horrible word.

I just assumed that other than the Boots " here come the girls" ads they didn't exist outside an ad person's brain.

notso Fri 08-Nov-13 08:56:13

I don't know anyone who's not a teenager that has them
but I've got no mates
Sometimes DH asks me if I'll look at a spot on his bum does that count?

Katisha Fri 08-Nov-13 08:47:41

If there's a word that gives me the rage, it's "pamper".

samandi Fri 08-Nov-13 08:42:20

I have never even heard of these nights, I must live under a rock. Surely only teens do stuff like this?

I've never heard of grown women that I know personally having them either. But I see a lot about them in advertising and tv shows etc. So perhaps they are aimed more at teenagers, though the adverts, shows etc. often have grown women in them.

samandi Fri 08-Nov-13 08:39:54

I don't understand why you have to 'get it'.

Well, I suppose my world is not going to cave in if I don't, but I was just interested in the appeal and wondering how common they are actually are - as explained in original post. I'm interested in lots of things - it's called curiosity.

TheRealAmandaClarke Fri 08-Nov-13 06:34:16

grin squoosh

TheRealAmandaClarke Fri 08-Nov-13 06:33:05

Make- yourself- beautiful party, preceeded by a pole dancing lesson and a cookery master class.
It could make you into the perfect wife.

I would actually like the time though for a relaxing bath, face pack and glass of wine. Alone. That sounds good to me.

TheRealAmandaClarke Fri 08-Nov-13 06:29:56

I believe they are an urban myth OP.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now